PC Review

View Poll Results: Which Operating system do you use?
XP 116 70.30%
Win2000 7 4.24%
ME 1 0.61%
98x 11 6.67%
Linux 17 10.30%
MAC 8 4.85%
Don't know 0 0%
What's an Operating System 5 3.03%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Which Operating system do you use?

Captain Crunchie, Retired

9th Jul 2004
After the feedback from my test poll I thought that just for an interest to conduct a proper investigation.

Please leave any comments below remember NO OS bashing or your post will be deleted.

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

9th Jul 2004
i will be interested to see the end result - my money goes on 92.6% windows XP though i notice you did not give a choice between which version, not that it matters of course.

EVGA 680SLi Motherboard, Intel E6600 LGA775 3.4GHz OC'd, ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024Mb, 4Gb Corsair XMS C4 2x Matched Pairs, Samsung Spinpoint's 740Gb RAID 0 SATAII, Antec Three Hundred Case, Windows 7 Home Premium.

9th Jul 2004
I realised just as I pressed the button ... too late, maybe Ian can fix it. I also missed of "other", just in case ... never have been one for Polls anyway.

If I had put XP home in I'm sure it would be the main contender as that is the OS of choice by the majority of Name Builders

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

sugar 'n spikes

9th Jul 2004
I voted XP (Pro) as that's the one I use the most.

I also use Mandrake 10 (I'm a masochist) and Win 98 (for old Games).

And as I'm a rebel, I'd rather shake itching powder down me underkeks than use ME

oops, sorry, me bad, I'm a wascal, etc., etc., ad nauseum.....

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

9th Jul 2004
Yeah that is very true. I myself use XP home - i really am not quite sure what the difference is between the two, apart from one is a fair bit dearer. I know theres some network related stuff but theres nothing i havent been able to do with Home.

edit: Flops you just reminded me of something - why did MS release an O/s called WindowsME and one called Windows2000 - surely this would mean they were released withing very short periods of each other. I have heard very good things about 2000 - i believe its that, NT and XP that share the same "thing" whatever it is - meant to be the most secure.

No comments on ME - Im a good little boy

EVGA 680SLi Motherboard, Intel E6600 LGA775 3.4GHz OC'd, ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024Mb, 4Gb Corsair XMS C4 2x Matched Pairs, Samsung Spinpoint's 740Gb RAID 0 SATAII, Antec Three Hundred Case, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Last edited by christopherpostill; 9th Jul 2004 at 09:05 PM..

9th Jul 2004
Win2000 = NT4

XP = NT5.1

... keep off the Cider Flopps

9th Jul 2004
oh really? now i'm confused. i though NT was a totally different version of windows!

9th Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherpostill
oh really? now i'm confused. i though NT was a totally different version of windows!
Nope, they just changed the name from NT3.1 to NT4/Win2000

sugar 'n spikes

9th Jul 2004
Mucks: Keep off the cider? Who me? I ate so much I ain't been able to get nothing down except a glass or two of red wine, me relatively sober Weather's too poxy to sit outside the pub, I just fancied staying in tonight.

The main difference between XP Home & XP Pro is Networking. There are a couple of other minor differences but the whole thing smacks of a rip-off to me.

As for ME, Microsoft made a good OS with Win 98, best of both worlds, DOS & a version of Windows that was for the first time relatively stable.

With ME they took away the true DOS facility and seemed to lose some stability. A stop gap before XP was released just to cash in if you ask me. And while you're asking I have all Window's OS's from DOS 5.0 to XP Pro. Except ME.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

sugar 'n spikes

9th Jul 2004
Alright, who's the wisearse who voted 'What's an Operating System'?

Hehe

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: