PC Review

View Poll Results: Which occupational background are you from?
IT/Computing 88 30.66%
Finance/Management 21 7.32%
Service/Support 14 4.88%
Engineering/Science 27 9.41%
Medical/Government 13 4.53%
Student 86 29.97%
Other... 38 13.24%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

Which occupational background are you?

sugar 'n spikes

20th Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherpostill
I am a professional customer service assistant at an upmarket shopping store...

What... i work checkouts at sainsburys...same thing
In much the same way as my dustman wears a badge that proclaims him a garbage disposal engineer...

It's all in the wording.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

20th Jan 2005
I have my own webhosting company (which postill mocks me on all the time) and that earns me enough monthly to cover my costs for the server etc.

I find it quite time efficient however, and to help and please other people makes you feel good about yourself.

Chris,

| PC #1 |
| AMD Sempron x86_64 3000+ & 768MB RAM & 2 x 80GB SATA150 & LG L1715S
| nVidia 6600GT 128MB & T/Take Soprano W/Window Black + Logitech S-230

10th Feb 2005
Ahem, I used to be a defence equipment consultant (some people would call it arms dealing) many years ago. Travelled the world, met interesting people and sold them kalashnikovs and howitzers. Seriously. Not proudly, but seriously. Anyway I then got involved in selling antiques and works of art to people like the Sultan of Brunei, without success. Joined a telecoms company in Sweden and set up a loyalty programme for them and was then asked to do the same in six other countries (stupid idea as each country is so different and what works in one will not automatically work in another). My last job was in digital signatures and internet payment solutions. With a CV like this I am quite obviously unemployable so am trying to write my first novel before I go bankrupt. (Posting on this board is, for me, something known as displacement activity. It means I am not writing my novel and I really should be). I am also interested in computers as everyone else on this board. I started on an Apple II Plus back in 1981 and I can't imagine life without one (a PC, not an Apple II) .

Anyway, after baring my soul I shall quite understand if no one wants to speak to me from henceforth. I could lie, but I can't alter the truth so there's no point.

Life is just a journey. We all know the destination, so the ride is everything.

Hon. Acoustical Engineer

10th Feb 2005
Herbie,

I think more and more people would like to interact with you, atleast myself for sure.

See you around, I am sure we will bump into each other from time to time

Rocket Scientist

10th Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie
Anyway, after baring my soul I shall quite understand if no one wants to speak to me from henceforth. I could lie, but I can't alter the truth so there's no point.
That sounds like the most varied jobs I've ever heard of, and very interesting ones too!

I really like your signature quote by the way

sugar 'n spikes

10th Feb 2005
Quote:
Seriously. Not proudly, but seriously.
An interesting use of wording To earn a crust, ya gotta do, what ya gotta do

So what's the novel all about then?

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

Captain Crunchie, Retired

10th Feb 2005
Quote:
The 'new kid' always get a roasting ... Just give us the Title of the book.

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

10th Feb 2005
Wow, I was dreading the responses I might get. Thanks very much for not being judgemental.

As for the novel, IF it ever gets finished; well you're supposed to write broadly about what you know, so it involves international terrorism , nuclear suitcase bombs, etc. I guess it's what's called a thriller; the sort of stuff people read on the beach. It's definitely not a literary work but hopefully I can make it interesting enough for people to want to read it. They say your first novel is the worst because you're prone to self-doubt. When and if you get a book published, you know you can do it and the second one is that much easier. As for the title, I haven't decided that yet , but it's got to be the easiest part of the whole process.

It only occurred to me the other day that, with the march of technology, there is still one medium that remains pretty much the same. Music, films, games and software can all be downloaded for free, thus bypassing the traditional revenue routes for these products. But books still sell because there is no digital substitute. Sorry. I'm going wildly off topic on a thread to do with occupational backgrounds. Thanks sincerely for all the kind comments and I look forward to interacting with all of you.

Life is just a journey. We all know the destination, so the ride is everything.

11th Feb 2005
I'm just a student lol

I do a paper round Asking for another round tomorrow instead of 15 pounds but i only do an hour a week so that's good ! (I have the shortest round aswell... only 10 houses!) hehe so hopefully be getting 30 pounds a week for a little bit more houses ! I need the money since beginning of last month i had 880 pounds, end of it i now have about 200 pounds and going down !!! lol So as you can see... i have spending issues ! hehe I spent over 120 pounds on itunes (ipod) just buying albums ( i sit there and think "i like that album" then i just end up buying it!) lol i bought a new graphics card, new memory, and a few games and lots of c.ds from amazon

FROM NOW ON I AM SAVING !!!

I am building computers for my friends though, so that's about 100 pounds profit each time which is ok, i make albums for people, coz i have over 7,000 songs on my pc lol All the latest albums, starting to sell items on ebay so i should be raking in the money !!! I sell livestrong bands aswell making around 40 pound profit each time aswell lol buisness at schools are easy !!!

But i just lost 90 more pounds on my new phone bill !

NEED MONEY !!! Can't wait to get a job (Know any jobs i can get at 15 ?!) lol

My System:
Intel Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
4GB RAM PC6400 800MHz
250GB SATA HDD
BFG nVidia 8800 GTX 768MB OC
620W Corsair ATX PSU

Windows Vista 64-bit
Samsung 22" BW
Razer Copperhead Tempest blue
Razer Tarantula

11th Feb 2005
Wow Herbie - interesting life!! I'd never not talk to someone because of something they had done in the past... unless it was REALLLY bad...

I bet the travelling the world bit was fun!

EVGA 680SLi Motherboard, Intel E6600 LGA775 3.4GHz OC'd, ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024Mb, 4Gb Corsair XMS C4 2x Matched Pairs, Samsung Spinpoint's 740Gb RAID 0 SATAII, Antec Three Hundred Case, Windows 7 Home Premium.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: