Which monitor should I get for Windows Vista to display HDTV?

MarkW

      27th Oct 2006
I plan on getting Windows Vista shortly after it comes out. One
concern I have thought is I've read how many monitors won't display
HDTV. I am in the market for a new monitor so am considering this.
One monitor I'm looking at is the Samsung 205BW. As well, I am
considering the Dell E207WFP20. I want something widescreen, at least
20 inches, so am open to any other suggestions. Another thing, I want
something that has at least two DVI ports or one DVI port, one DVI-Sub
port.
What do I need to watch HDTV? I see the Samsung doesn't have a HDMI
connector but it does have a HDCP compliant DVI connector so does that
mean it would display HDTV from Vista? As well, can you get HDTV
through a DVI-Sub connector as well? Do I need a special graphics
card (HDCP compliant?) as well?

chrisv

      31st Oct 2006
MarkW wrote:

>I plan on getting Windows Vista shortly after it comes out. One
>concern I have thought is I've read how many monitors won't display
>HDTV. I am in the market for a new monitor so am considering this.
>One monitor I'm looking at is the Samsung 205BW. As well, I am
>considering the Dell E207WFP20. I want something widescreen, at least
>20 inches, so am open to any other suggestions. Another thing, I want
>something that has at least two DVI ports or one DVI port, one DVI-Sub
>port.
>What do I need to watch HDTV? I see the Samsung doesn't have a HDMI
>connector but it does have a HDCP compliant DVI connector so does that
>mean it would display HDTV from Vista?

Yes, it's the HDCP (copy-protection) that is the issue.

>As well, can you get HDTV
>through a DVI-Sub connector as well? Do I need a special graphics
>card (HDCP compliant?) as well?

I suppose that you will...