Closed Thread

Which edition of linux to download

Acruncher

7th Jul 2012
You might find this useful.

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/l...es/125205.aspx

Quote:
Installing Puppy Linux

After you have selected the hardware for your Puppy Linux installation, the computer will need preparing. This might mean formatting the hard disk drive on a device that will be running Puppy as the only OS, or creating a new partition on a dual booting computer.
Installation of this OS should be simple and straightforward; most people dont experience any problems, but if you do there are workarounds that can be used.
There are a lot of very handy tips etc for a newcomer to pups.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

Silly Fool

8th Jul 2012
Mr Boot, we can all give our opinions, but I would go with Abarb and Urmas, they are out resident Linux people. Although when it comes to Mint I have followed FBS

Acruncher

8th Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanDavis View Post
Mr Boot, we can all give our opinions, but I would go with Abarb and Urmas, they are out resident Linux people. Although when it comes to Mint I have followed FBS
Kind words and thanks. However I am not anywhere near Urmas's level of expertise in GNU/Linux.

Looks like Puppy has been chosen going by bootneck02's post. I have tried MacPup and Slacko.
Mac pup as it uses the E17 desktop environment which is really slick and fast.
Salcko or Puppy53 as it is based on Salckware and has some very interesting features.

Mint apparently is a very good distro but I have never used it. I am not really interested in any of the buntu's and would rather invest time in Debian or Debian derivatives as all the buntu's are based on it.

Playing with penguins is good fun and a cheap hobby. Happy splashing.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

8th Jul 2012
Well decision made and thank you everyone for the assistance and pointing me in the right direction. I have decided that I will use Lubuntu because it is a 688mb download and will go on a CD, it only requires a low RAM and will run well on 256mb RAM, it is based on Ubuntu and there is much software that will run on it. Once again all for the helpand advice Could one of the administrators please close this thread. Thanks.

Captain Crunchie, Retired

8th Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootneck02 View Post
Could one of the administrators please close this thread. Thanks.
we don't normally close threads, unless they being spammed, however, I haven't closed one today, so ...

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: