Which drive is this referencing?

Bert

      20th Aug 2012
Windows XP Pro SP3

Found errors in the system log like this:

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout
period.

How do I map that to a drive name I'd recognize, like maybe the drive
numbers shown in the "Disk Management" function, or a drive letter?

--
(E-Mail Removed) St. Paul, MN

glee

      20th Aug 2012
"Bert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Windows XP Pro SP3
>
> Found errors in the system log like this:
>
> The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort3, did not respond within the timeout
> period.
>
> How do I map that to a drive name I'd recognize, like maybe the drive
> numbers shown in the "Disk Management" function, or a drive letter?

Yeah, that's always fun to figure out, especially since some systems are
set up to show SATA drives as tertiary IDE, others as primary or
secondary IDE, others as SCSI drives, etc.

See if this is any help to you:

How to Distinguish a Physical Disk Device from an Event Message
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159865

How to troubleshoot event ID 9, event ID 11, and event ID 15 error
messages
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154690

--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

Bert Hyman

      20th Aug 2012
In news:k0tpnp$4np$(E-Mail Removed) "glee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> See if this is any help to you:
>
> How to Distinguish a Physical Disk Device from an Event Message
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/159865
>
> How to troubleshoot event ID 9, event ID 11, and event ID 15 error
> messages
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154690

Thanks; the info I need is probably in there somewhere. This might take
a little study, although I think I already know which drive is flaking
out.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)