Which Drive Encryptor for this?

doofus

      12th Feb 2011
I am going to be doing some traveling and I need a driver encryption
program to keep the facist nosey TSA out of my data.

But my requirements are kinda dated. I need something that will make
large containers or partitions around 50GB but is accessible under both
windoze 98se and XP. Drivecrypt limits its 98 accessibility to containers
of max. 4 GB-no good for my purposes.

I need something reliable that I can use across different cafe computers
from the usb port without having to install it on each machine also.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Yousuf Khan

      12th Feb 2011
On 12/02/2011 10:25 AM, doofus wrote:
> I am going to be doing some traveling and I need a driver encryption
> program to keep the facist nosey TSA out of my data.
>
> But my requirements are kinda dated. I need something that will make
> large containers or partitions around 50GB but is accessible under both
> windoze 98se and XP. Drivecrypt limits its 98 accessibility to containers
> of max. 4 GB-no good for my purposes.

Stop using Windows 98. What's the point in keeping that ancient thing
around, especially when you're travelling.

> I need something reliable that I can use across different cafe computers
> from the usb port without having to install it on each machine also.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Arno

      12th Feb 2011
doofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am going to be doing some traveling and I need a driver encryption
> program to keep the facist nosey TSA out of my data.

You do nkow that they can just require you to give them the
passphrase and if you refuse send you back after a few
days of incarceration?

> But my requirements are kinda dated. I need something that will make
> large containers or partitions around 50GB but is accessible under both
> windoze 98se and XP. Drivecrypt limits its 98 accessibility to containers
> of max. 4 GB-no good for my purposes.

Unless you drop the win98 requirement, you as likely out of luck.

> I need something reliable that I can use across different cafe computers
> from the usb port without having to install it on each machine also.

Well. There is nothing usable without installation for win98.
With XP it is difficult. What about using Linux, e.g. a
Knoppix USB-Stick install with encrypted partition (all
standard Knoppix fearures)? That does not require any installation,
just a reboot. And a reboot is a very good idea anyways to get
around spyware on computers not yours.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
----

Roger Blake

      12th Feb 2011
On 2011-02-12, doofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am going to be doing some traveling and I need a driver encryption
> program to keep the facist nosey TSA out of my data.

You might try Truecrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org). It has the
capability of embedding a hidden encrypted container within an
outer encrypted container in order to provide plausible deniability
if forced by government thugs into revealing your pass code.
However, the earliest version of Windows supported is Windows 2000.
(You mentioned needing Win98 support. That's a problem, almost
nothing runs on Windows 98 any more.) Truecrypt is cross-platform
and also runs on Linux and Max OS-X. I routinely use it for encrypting
data on USB flash drives that needs to be accessible on Windows
and Linux.

"Climate policy has almost nothing to do anymore with environmental
protection... the next world climate summit in Cancun is actually
an economy summit during which the distribution of the world's
resources will be negotiated." -- Ottmar Edenhofer, IPCC

DevilsPGD

      12th Feb 2011
In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> was
claimed to have wrote:

>doofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am going to be doing some traveling and I need a driver encryption
>> program to keep the facist nosey TSA out of my data.

>You do nkow that they can just require you to give them the
>passphrase and if you refuse send you back after a few
>days of incarceration?

While true, your data is still safe and protected.

Note that "refusing" might actually get you detained longer, and might
violate other laws. Not having the decryption keys in your possession
at all is a safer approach, and can be done by providing the decryption
key to someone trustworthy.

There's different approaches, a single person at your destination (since
forcing them to reveal the key requires due process, whereas as the
border none is required) is the easiest, if you have someone you trust.

Better yet, split the key between someone at your destination and
someone at your country of origin (who is not subject to US law at all),
with both individuals being instructed to only hand over their key when
you confirm arrival at your destination (and the individual at the
destination confirms to the individual at origin that you have arrived
-- Again, the idea is that there's no legal theory that would force
either the individual at the border or at the destination to lie to a
third party, so the most that will happen is the data will be
confiscated and/or the traveler won't be allowed entry)

gustav

      13th Feb 2011
Roger Blake <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:20110212204453
@news.eternal-september.org:

> On 2011-02-12, doofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am going to be doing some traveling and I need a driver encryption
>> program to keep the facist nosey TSA out of my data.

> You might try Truecrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org). It has the
> capability of embedding a hidden encrypted container within an
> outer encrypted container in order to provide plausible deniability
> if forced by government thugs into revealing your pass code.
> However, the earliest version of Windows supported is Windows 2000.
> (You mentioned needing Win98 support. That's a problem, almost
> nothing runs on Windows 98 any more.) Truecrypt is cross-platform
> and also runs on Linux and Max OS-X. I routinely use it for encrypting
> data on USB flash drives that needs to be accessible on Windows
> and Linux.

thanks for your reply one of the few that attempted to answer the
questions. someone here suggested an earlier version of truecrypt might
support 98se? do you happen to know for certain if earlier versions don't
support 98se? also do you know if it might support larger partitions or
containers?

loopey

      13th Feb 2011
DevilsPGD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> was
> claimed to have wrote:
>
>>doofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I am going to be doing some traveling and I need a driver encryption
>>> program to keep the facist nosey TSA out of my data.

>>You do nkow that they can just require you to give them the
>>passphrase and if you refuse send you back after a few
>>days of incarceration?

> While true, your data is still safe and protected.
>
> Note that "refusing" might actually get you detained longer, and might
> violate other laws. Not having the decryption keys in your possession
> at all is a safer approach, and can be done by providing the decryption
> key to someone trustworthy.
>
> There's different approaches, a single person at your destination (since
> forcing them to reveal the key requires due process, whereas as the
> border none is required) is the easiest, if you have someone you trust.
>
> Better yet, split the key between someone at your destination and
> someone at your country of origin (who is not subject to US law at all),
> with both individuals being instructed to only hand over their key when
> you confirm arrival at your destination (and the individual at the
> destination confirms to the individual at origin that you have arrived
> -- Again, the idea is that there's no legal theory that would force
> either the individual at the border or at the destination to lie to a
> third party, so the most that will happen is the data will be
> confiscated and/or the traveler won't be allowed entry)

actually i think a safest approach is to wipe the drive after uploading ur
data to an online storage site (maybe TSA in disguise, my God, we're never
safe).

Arno

      13th Feb 2011
loopey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> DevilsPGD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> was
>> claimed to have wrote:

>>>You do nkow that they can just require you to give them the
>>>passphrase and if you refuse send you back after a few
>>>days of incarceration?

>> While true, your data is still safe and protected.
>>
>> Note that "refusing" might actually get you detained longer, and might
>> violate other laws. Not having the decryption keys in your possession
>> at all is a safer approach, and can be done by providing the decryption
>> key to someone trustworthy.
>>
>> There's different approaches, a single person at your destination (since
>> forcing them to reveal the key requires due process, whereas as the
>> border none is required) is the easiest, if you have someone you trust.
>>
>> Better yet, split the key between someone at your destination and
>> someone at your country of origin (who is not subject to US law at all),
>> with both individuals being instructed to only hand over their key when
>> you confirm arrival at your destination (and the individual at the
>> destination confirms to the individual at origin that you have arrived
>> -- Again, the idea is that there's no legal theory that would force
>> either the individual at the border or at the destination to lie to a
>> third party, so the most that will happen is the data will be
>> confiscated and/or the traveler won't be allowed entry)

> actually i think a safest approach is to wipe the drive after uploading ur
> data to an online storage site (maybe TSA in disguise, my God, we're never
> safe).

If you run your own server, it will either already be compromised
or safe. But, yes, I completely agree that this is the right
approach. In fact I have a laptop "travel" drive for the US
that only has a clean OS install (Linux and XP) on it.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
----

Arno

      13th Feb 2011
Roger Blake <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2011-02-12, doofus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am going to be doing some traveling and I need a driver encryption
>> program to keep the facist nosey TSA out of my data.

> You might try Truecrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org). It has the
> capability of embedding a hidden encrypted container within an
> outer encrypted container in order to provide plausible deniability
> if forced by government thugs into revealing your pass code.

While nice in theory, and certainly well implemented in
TrueCrypt, the problem is that the TrueCrypt documentation
mentions the possibility. So what they will do is to
just sent you for a few years to Gitmo and if you have
not revealed the second passphrase by then (either because
you are sutubborn or becasue there is none), it will not
really matter.

In fact, when crossing the US border with TrueCrypt as
protection, I strongly advise to have the hidden container
configured and the second passphrase ready to hand over...

The problem is that nothing bad happens to them when they
torture you to hand over something you do not actually have,
as long as they have a reasonable suspicion. The TrueCrypt
handbook gives them that. Also see http://xkcd.com/538/

So what to do? I think the only thing reasonable is to
not have encrypted data on your person in an US border
cross. This also means wiping free space with zeros,
(not random data) just to be sure. Then store the data
in encrypted form on the net somewhere safe, download
and decrypt after the border cross. Before crossing the
border again, wipe all data by overwriting with zeros.

Side note: Incredible. I would have expected these
measures to be necessary when going into the USSR of
old, but not ever for the US. How times can change...

> However, the earliest version of Windows supported is Windows 2000.
> (You mentioned needing Win98 support. That's a problem, almost
> nothing runs on Windows 98 any more.) Truecrypt is cross-platform
> and also runs on Linux and Max OS-X. I routinely use it for encrypting
> data on USB flash drives that needs to be accessible on Windows
> and Linux.

It is a good product. Cross-platform support is limited to
normal containers, OS encryption is only available on Windows.
However there it is really done right: You can transparently
encrypt (and permenanetly decrypt if needed) an exisitng
OS installation. Did that recently for the Win7 partition
of my work Laptop. For Linux I use dm-crypt or LUKS.

Arno
--

Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/02/2011 10:25 AM, doofus wrote:
>> I am going to be doing some traveling and I need a driver encryption
>> program to keep the facist nosey TSA out of my data.
>>
>> But my requirements are kinda dated. I need something that will make
>> large containers or partitions around 50GB but is accessible under both
>> windoze 98se and XP. Drivecrypt limits its 98 accessibility to containers
>> of max. 4 GB-no good for my purposes.

> Stop using Windows 98. What's the point in keeping that ancient thing
> around, especially when you're travelling.

Indeed. Or maybe virtualize it and use it inside vmware player
or some other vortualization environment.

Arno