Where's the rest of my Ram?

=?Utf-8?B?Rw==?=

      27th May 2007
Hi, I have a question.
My Acer laptop came with 512 ram. I added another 512 stick of ram. I then
upgraded to Vista home premium. Now windows shows the ram as 768. My
question is how do I get the remaining 256 mb to function?

Bios also shows 768. Acer's eSetting Management detects 2 slots with 512 mb
in each.

Rock

      27th May 2007
"G" wrote
> Hi, I have a question.
> My Acer laptop came with 512 ram. I added another 512 stick of ram. I
> then
> upgraded to Vista home premium. Now windows shows the ram as 768. My
> question is how do I get the remaining 256 mb to function?
>
> Bios also shows 768. Acer's eSetting Management detects 2 slots with 512
> mb
> in each.

Sounds like the on board video is taking 256MB.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Richard G. Harper

      27th May 2007
If BIOS also shows 768mb of memory then you need to consider the
possibilities that the new memory is bad, not compatible with your system,
or not compatible with the already-installed memory.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)

"G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have a question.
> My Acer laptop came with 512 ram. I added another 512 stick of ram. I
> then
> upgraded to Vista home premium. Now windows shows the ram as 768. My
> question is how do I get the remaining 256 mb to function?
>
> Bios also shows 768. Acer's eSetting Management detects 2 slots with 512
> mb
> in each.

Graham

      27th May 2007
What did it say before? My Acer laptop uses system RAM as videoram,
subtracting that from the total ram. That would give you 2565Mb of video RAM
and 768Mb of system memory.

Graham

"Richard G. Harper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If BIOS also shows 768mb of memory then you need to consider the
> possibilities that the new memory is bad, not compatible with your system,
> or not compatible with the already-installed memory.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, I have a question.
>> My Acer laptop came with 512 ram. I added another 512 stick of ram. I
>> then
>> upgraded to Vista home premium. Now windows shows the ram as 768. My
>> question is how do I get the remaining 256 mb to function?
>>
>> Bios also shows 768. Acer's eSetting Management detects 2 slots with 512
>> mb
>> in each.

=?Utf-8?B?Rw==?=

      27th May 2007
Thanks Shawn
You nailed it! I tried setting the Bios to 64Mb to see what happens....
turns out it boosted my windows "base score". I'm going to try 128 next.

"brink" wrote:

> Hi G,
>
> Do you have integrated Video on your motherboard? If so, that's where
> it went. Integrated Video will have a portion of your RAM assigned to
> it only. If you want to make adjustments to the amount, you'll need to
> go into your BIOS and then into the Integrated Video section. There you
> can adjust it to like 64, 128, 256, etc. MB. It depends on your needs
> what you should put it on. I would recommend no lower than 128 MB.
> Check your programs that you run and see what they recommend for your
> Video Ram for better performance.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink
>
> "Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
> '_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
> Please post feedback to help others

=?Utf-8?B?Rw==?=

      27th May 2007
Thanks Rock, you are right.

"Rock" wrote:

> "G" wrote
> > Hi, I have a question.
> > My Acer laptop came with 512 ram. I added another 512 stick of ram. I
> > then
> > upgraded to Vista home premium. Now windows shows the ram as 768. My
> > question is how do I get the remaining 256 mb to function?
> >
> > Bios also shows 768. Acer's eSetting Management detects 2 slots with 512
> > mb
> > in each.

> Sounds like the on board video is taking 256MB.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?Rw==?=

      27th May 2007
Thanks Richard

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> If BIOS also shows 768mb of memory then you need to consider the
> possibilities that the new memory is bad, not compatible with your system,
> or not compatible with the already-installed memory.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I have a question.
> > My Acer laptop came with 512 ram. I added another 512 stick of ram. I
> > then
> > upgraded to Vista home premium. Now windows shows the ram as 768. My
> > question is how do I get the remaining 256 mb to function?
> >
> > Bios also shows 768. Acer's eSetting Management detects 2 slots with 512
> > mb
> > in each.

=?Utf-8?B?Rw==?=

      27th May 2007