What's wrong with this?

Franc Zabkar

      19th Oct 2009
Here is a screenshot out of an Asus motherboard manual (page 59):
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SATA1_ST320413A.jpg

Something seems wrong about it ...

Asus M2N-X manual:
http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...3147_m2n-x.pdf

- Franc Zabkar

Arno

      19th Oct 2009
Franc Zabkar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Here is a screenshot out of an Asus motherboard manual (page 59):
> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SATA1_ST320413A.jpg

> Something seems wrong about it ...

> Asus M2N-X manual:
> http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...3147_m2n-x.pdf

Hmm. That they are using a very old ATA disk?

Arno

Franc Zabkar

      20th Oct 2009
On 19 Oct 2009 06:44:55 GMT, Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>Franc Zabkar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Here is a screenshot out of an Asus motherboard manual (page 59):
>> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SATA1_ST320413A.jpg

>> Something seems wrong about it ...

>> Asus M2N-X manual:
>> http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...3147_m2n-x.pdf

>Hmm. That they are using a very old ATA disk?
>
>Arno

It's a parallel ATA drive connected to a SATA port. I know it can be
done using SATA-PATA interface cards, but why?

- Franc Zabkar

Yousuf Khan

      27th Oct 2009
Franc Zabkar wrote:
> It's a parallel ATA drive connected to a SATA port. I know it can be
> done using SATA-PATA interface cards, but why?

I'm using those devices here myself, on a couple of old 200GB and 300GB
IDE drives, which I've converted to SATA. The main reason for doing that
is because there is a dearth of IDE connections these days with newer
motherboards. They supply maybe just one IDE port for a couple of
master/slave optical drives, these days.

Yousuf Khan

Arno

      27th Oct 2009
Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Franc Zabkar wrote:
>> It's a parallel ATA drive connected to a SATA port. I know it can be
>> done using SATA-PATA interface cards, but why?

> I'm using those devices here myself, on a couple of old 200GB and 300GB
> IDE drives, which I've converted to SATA. The main reason for doing that
> is because there is a dearth of IDE connections these days with newer
> motherboards. They supply maybe just one IDE port for a couple of
> master/slave optical drives, these days.

I have basically phased out IDE for normal operation, but I still
have 5 or so IDE drives that I use for experiments and today
they are typically attached to SATA via converters I bought during
the transition phase.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
----

Yousuf Khan

      28th Oct 2009
Arno wrote:
> Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Franc Zabkar wrote:
>>> It's a parallel ATA drive connected to a SATA port. I know it can be
>>> done using SATA-PATA interface cards, but why?

>> I'm using those devices here myself, on a couple of old 200GB and 300GB
>> IDE drives, which I've converted to SATA. The main reason for doing that
>> is because there is a dearth of IDE connections these days with newer
>> motherboards. They supply maybe just one IDE port for a couple of
>> master/slave optical drives, these days.

> I have basically phased out IDE for normal operation, but I still
> have 5 or so IDE drives that I use for experiments and today
> they are typically attached to SATA via converters I bought during
> the transition phase.

I've also mentioned that miraculously somehow when using these IDE
drives in SATA form, one of the drive's spin retry count problem went away.

Yousuf Khan

Arno

      28th Oct 2009
Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Arno wrote:
>> Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I'm using those devices here myself, on a couple of old 200GB and 300GB
>>> IDE drives, which I've converted to SATA. The main reason for doing that
>>> is because there is a dearth of IDE connections these days with newer
>>> motherboards. They supply maybe just one IDE port for a couple of
>>> master/slave optical drives, these days.

>> I have basically phased out IDE for normal operation, but I still
>> have 5 or so IDE drives that I use for experiments and today
>> they are typically attached to SATA via converters I bought during
>> the transition phase.

> I've also mentioned that miraculously somehow when using these IDE
> drives in SATA form, one of the drive's spin retry count problem went away.

> Yousuf Khan

Black Magic! ;-)

Arno