Whats up here?

Peter F

      24th Apr 2009
Hi All,

Not sure what is happening to my vista laptop. Recently i have noticed that
i am unable to play my DVD's. More to the point I am unable to see the DVD
player in my computer.

What i have done to remedy the situation is as follows.

1. Booted up and checked the BIOS made sure that the CD was booting first
and HDD second.
2. Checked in My Computer properties there was no exclamation mark against
any hardware and i was unable to see my DVD detailed there.
3. The DVD player is an internal player and i am unable to detatch and
re-attach.

Please can anyone offer any help in solving this particular problem?

KR.
--
Flinty

Gene E. Bloch

      25th Apr 2009
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:11:04 -0700, Peter F wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Not sure what is happening to my vista laptop. Recently i have noticed that
> i am unable to play my DVD's. More to the point I am unable to see the DVD
> player in my computer.
>
> What i have done to remedy the situation is as follows.
>
> 1. Booted up and checked the BIOS made sure that the CD was booting first
> and HDD second.

Not related.

> 2. Checked in My Computer properties there was no exclamation mark against
> any hardware and i was unable to see my DVD detailed there.

It means Windows doesn't see a problem; unfortunately, it doesn't look very
hard. For instance, it is not a hardware test.

> 3. The DVD player is an internal player and i am unable to detatch and
> re-attach.

But you can uninstall the driver and reboot, which is often recommended for
related problems.

> Please can anyone offer any help in solving this particular problem?

I can only try :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

Peter F

      25th Apr 2009
Hi Gene,

Thanks for the reply.

The point I was trying to make was that I CANNOT see the DVD anywhere in
windows. Not even to uninstall the drivers and reinstall.

Do you have any other ideas?

KR

--
Flinty

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:11:04 -0700, Peter F wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Not sure what is happening to my vista laptop. Recently i have noticed that
> > i am unable to play my DVD's. More to the point I am unable to see the DVD
> > player in my computer.
> >
> > What i have done to remedy the situation is as follows.
> >
> > 1. Booted up and checked the BIOS made sure that the CD was booting first
> > and HDD second.

> Not related.
>
> > 2. Checked in My Computer properties there was no exclamation mark against
> > any hardware and i was unable to see my DVD detailed there.

> It means Windows doesn't see a problem; unfortunately, it doesn't look very
> hard. For instance, it is not a hardware test.
>
> > 3. The DVD player is an internal player and i am unable to detatch and
> > re-attach.

> But you can uninstall the driver and reboot, which is often recommended for
> related problems.
>
> > Please can anyone offer any help in solving this particular problem?

> I can only try :-)
>
> > KR.

> --
> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

brush-head

      25th Apr 2009
Have you tried scan for hardware changes? that may trigger the detection of
the drive.
The only time I had a problem similar to this under XP was on an old Compaq
notebook. That turned out to be the device itself had failed.
Good Luck
"Peter F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gene,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The point I was trying to make was that I CANNOT see the DVD anywhere in
> windows. Not even to uninstall the drivers and reinstall.
>
> Do you have any other ideas?
>
> KR
>
> --
> Flinty
>

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:11:04 -0700, Peter F wrote:
>>
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Not sure what is happening to my vista laptop. Recently i have noticed
>> > that
>> > i am unable to play my DVD's. More to the point I am unable to see the
>> > DVD
>> > player in my computer.
>> >
>> > What i have done to remedy the situation is as follows.
>> >
>> > 1. Booted up and checked the BIOS made sure that the CD was booting
>> > first
>> > and HDD second.

>> Not related.
>>
>> > 2. Checked in My Computer properties there was no exclamation mark
>> > against
>> > any hardware and i was unable to see my DVD detailed there.

>> It means Windows doesn't see a problem; unfortunately, it doesn't look
>> very
>> hard. For instance, it is not a hardware test.
>>
>> > 3. The DVD player is an internal player and i am unable to detatch and
>> > re-attach.

>> But you can uninstall the driver and reboot, which is often recommended
>> for
>> related problems.
>>
>> > Please can anyone offer any help in solving this particular problem?

>> I can only try :-)
>>
>> > KR.

>> --
>> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

Peter F

      25th Apr 2009
Hi Brush-head,

Yes i have completed a Scan for hardware changes. but still did not pick up
the drive.

Do you have any other thoughts

--
Flinty

Peter Foldes

      25th Apr 2009
See the following
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/general...VD_drives.html
--
Peter

"Peter F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gene,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The point I was trying to make was that I CANNOT see the DVD anywhere in
> windows. Not even to uninstall the drivers and reinstall.
>
> Do you have any other ideas?
>
> KR
>
> --
> Flinty
>

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:11:04 -0700, Peter F wrote:
>>
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Not sure what is happening to my vista laptop. Recently i have noticed that
>> > i am unable to play my DVD's. More to the point I am unable to see the DVD
>> > player in my computer.
>> >
>> > What i have done to remedy the situation is as follows.
>> >
>> > 1. Booted up and checked the BIOS made sure that the CD was booting first
>> > and HDD second.

>> Not related.
>>
>> > 2. Checked in My Computer properties there was no exclamation mark against
>> > any hardware and i was unable to see my DVD detailed there.

>> It means Windows doesn't see a problem; unfortunately, it doesn't look very
>> hard. For instance, it is not a hardware test.
>>
>> > 3. The DVD player is an internal player and i am unable to detatch and
>> > re-attach.

>> But you can uninstall the driver and reboot, which is often recommended for
>> related problems.
>>
>> > Please can anyone offer any help in solving this particular problem?

>> I can only try :-)
>>
>> > KR.

>> --
>> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

Rick Rogers

      25th Apr 2009
Hi,

Try the steps outlined here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Peter F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gene,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The point I was trying to make was that I CANNOT see the DVD anywhere in
> windows. Not even to uninstall the drivers and reinstall.
>
> Do you have any other ideas?
>
> KR
>
> --
> Flinty
>

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:11:04 -0700, Peter F wrote:
>>
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Not sure what is happening to my vista laptop. Recently i have noticed
>> > that
>> > i am unable to play my DVD's. More to the point I am unable to see the
>> > DVD
>> > player in my computer.
>> >
>> > What i have done to remedy the situation is as follows.
>> >
>> > 1. Booted up and checked the BIOS made sure that the CD was booting
>> > first
>> > and HDD second.

>> Not related.
>>
>> > 2. Checked in My Computer properties there was no exclamation mark
>> > against
>> > any hardware and i was unable to see my DVD detailed there.

>> It means Windows doesn't see a problem; unfortunately, it doesn't look
>> very
>> hard. For instance, it is not a hardware test.
>>
>> > 3. The DVD player is an internal player and i am unable to detatch and
>> > re-attach.

>> But you can uninstall the driver and reboot, which is often recommended
>> for
>> related problems.
>>
>> > Please can anyone offer any help in solving this particular problem?

>> I can only try :-)
>>
>> > KR.

>> --
>> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

brush-head

      25th Apr 2009
I know you can't play DVD's but have you tried a CD?
Maybe a CD with just data on it - can you use explorer?
If that don't work it may be the drive has packed up.
If still under warranty then contact supplier.
If not, use the manufacturers option as a last resort because they tend to
be expensive.
I picked up a DVD writer in the UK for the Compaq I mentioned for about
36GBP whereas Compaq want about 150! Only issue I had was that the screw
heads securing the bay were 000 which is very small & locating a screw
driver to get the old drive out took some time. The driver came in handy
though 'cos my son wanted to upgrade his Acer with the same model drive.
Oh only other issue was because the Compaq had a strange shape facia on the
drive door I had to remove the facia from the new drive. doesn't look pretty
but it works.
Good Luck
"Peter F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Brush-head,
>
> Yes i have completed a Scan for hardware changes. but still did not pick
> up
> the drive.
>
> Do you have any other thoughts
>
> --
> Flinty
>

> "brush-head" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried scan for hardware changes? that may trigger the detection
>> of
>> the drive.
>> The only time I had a problem similar to this under XP was on an old
>> Compaq
>> notebook. That turned out to be the device itself had failed.
>> Good Luck
>> "Peter F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi Gene,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the reply.
>> >
>> > The point I was trying to make was that I CANNOT see the DVD anywhere
>> > in
>> > windows. Not even to uninstall the drivers and reinstall.
>> >
>> > Do you have any other ideas?
>> >
>> > KR
>> >
>> > --
>> > Flinty

Noel Paton

      25th Apr 2009
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:48:01 -0700, Peter F
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Gene,
>
>Thanks for the reply.
>
>The point I was trying to make was that I CANNOT see the DVD anywhere in
>windows. Not even to uninstall the drivers and reinstall.
>
>Do you have any other ideas?
>
>KR

Can you actually see the drive is present n the BIOS/CMOS setup
screen??
If not, then you have a hardware problem.
--
Noel Paton
www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Gene E. Bloch

      28th Apr 2009
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:57:03 +0100, Noel Paton wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:48:01 -0700, Peter F
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi Gene,
>>
>>Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>The point I was trying to make was that I CANNOT see the DVD anywhere in
>>windows. Not even to uninstall the drivers and reinstall.
>>
>>Do you have any other ideas?
>>
>>KR

> Can you actually see the drive is present n the BIOS/CMOS setup
> screen??
> If not, then you have a hardware problem.

Good catch. Thanks for that.

I also meant for the OP to go to Device Manager to uninstall the drive
followed by a reboot, but I couldn't tell from his reply whether that is
what he did.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom