Whats Happened?

tom-n

      24th Nov 2005

Why are some of my filenames in blue? [image:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91..._image002.gif]

And why do my desktop shortcuts have dark grey boxes around them, they
never used to.

Thanks for the help!

--
tom-n

Malke

      24th Nov 2005
tom-n wrote:

> Why are some of my filenames in blue? [image:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91..._image002.gif]

> And why do my desktop shortcuts have dark grey boxes around them, they
> never used to.
>
> Thanks for the help!

The blue filenames indicate that the files are compressed. They were
compressed during Disk Cleanup. You do not need to worry about this.

To remove the "dark grey boxes" around your shortcuts:

Open the System applet in Control Panel, choose the Advanced tab, and
click Settings in the Performance section. Turn on the "Use drop
shadows for icon labels on the desktop option", and click OK.

Four things are required for transparent icon backgrounds:

1) System Properties>Advanced>Performance Settings>VisualEffects - check
"use drop shadows for icon labels".

2) Right-click on Desktop ->Arrange Icons by>Lock Web items must be
cleared.

3) If you have any web content on your desktop, transparency won't work.
To check for web content: Display Properties>Desktop>Customize
Desktop>Web - make sure all checkboxes are clear.

4) Wallpaper must be an image file, not html.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Kath Adams

      25th Nov 2005
tom-n wrote:
> Why are some of my filenames in blue? [image:
> http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91..._image002.gif]
>
> And why do my desktop shortcuts have dark grey boxes around them, they
> never used to.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>

> --
> tom-n

You can turn the blue colouring off it you want to.
Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
On the View tab, unselect Show encrypted or compressed NTFS in color.

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)