Welcome Screen Pictures (Icons) Only Show Chess Set

davegcsa

      12th Apr 2008
I now have several computers that will only show the chess set for each user
account. In the User Account control panel the picture that is selected for
a user's account is shown but not on the welcome screen. Can anyone help?

Gerry

      12th Apr 2008
Dave

You might need to make the change using the Administrator in safe mode.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

davegcsa wrote:
> I now have several computers that will only show the chess set for
> each user account. In the User Account control panel the picture
> that is selected for a user's account is shown but not on the welcome
> screen. Can anyone help?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      12th Apr 2008
Click Start, Run and type:

"%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures"

Are you able to preview every picture in that folder?

--
Regards,

Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"davegcsa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I now have several computers that will only show the chess set for each user
account. In the User Account control panel the picture that is selected for
a user's account is shown but not on the welcome screen. Can anyone help?

davegcsa

      16th Apr 2008
Gerry,

Thanks for the tip. I booted to safe mode and logged in as an
administrator. The icons in the safe mode welcome screen were all the chess
piece icons. When I went to the user control panel, the icons were the ones
specifically selected for each user. I tried selecting that icons again -
they showed properly in the control panel, but in the welcome screen they
were all chess piece icons again. Unfortunately, your tip did not resolve
the issue. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Dave

"Gerry" wrote:

> Dave
>
> You might need to make the change using the Administrator in safe mode.
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> davegcsa wrote:
> > I now have several computers that will only show the chess set for
> > each user account. In the User Account control panel the picture
> > that is selected for a user's account is shown but not on the welcome
> > screen. Can anyone help?

davegcsa

      16th Apr 2008
Hi Ramesh,

Yes I am able to preview all the pictures in the Default Pictures folder.
In fact, in the User Account Pictures folder, the icons (pictures) selected
for each computer users shows as selected. But again, in the welcome screen
only the chess piece icon shows for all users. What do you suggest now?

Thanks for any assistance you may provide.

Dave

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Click Start, Run and type:
>
> "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures"
>
> Are you able to preview every picture in that folder?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>

> "davegcsa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I now have several computers that will only show the chess set for each user
> account. In the User Account control panel the picture that is selected for
> a user's account is shown but not on the welcome screen. Can anyone help?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      17th Apr 2008
Dave,

Run this command:

cmd /k cacls "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\"

Copy the output and post it here.

This is to check if the Local system account has permissions to read files from the above folder.

--

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Click Start, Run and type:
>
> "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures"
>
> Are you able to preview every picture in that folder?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>

> "davegcsa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I now have several computers that will only show the chess set for each user
> account. In the User Account control panel the picture that is selected for
> a user's account is shown but not on the welcome screen. Can anyone help?

davegcsa

      22nd Apr 2008
Ramesh,

Here's the result:

c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\user account
pictures\Default Pictures BUILTIN\Administrators: <OI><CI>F

BUILTIN\Users:<OI><CI>F

I appreciate your continued assistance.

Dave

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Run this command:
>
> cmd /k cacls "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures\"
>
> Copy the output and post it here.
>
> This is to check if the Local system account has permissions to read files from the above folder.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
>

> "davegcsa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Ramesh,
>
> Yes I am able to preview all the pictures in the Default Pictures folder.
> In fact, in the User Account Pictures folder, the icons (pictures) selected
> for each computer users shows as selected. But again, in the welcome screen
> only the chess piece icon shows for all users. What do you suggest now?
>
> Thanks for any assistance you may provide.
>
> Dave
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Click Start, Run and type:
> >
> > "%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures"
> >
> > Are you able to preview every picture in that folder?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> > Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> > Winhelponline.com blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog
> >

> > "davegcsa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I now have several computers that will only show the chess set for each user
> > account. In the User Account control panel the picture that is selected for
> > a user's account is shown but not on the welcome screen. Can anyone help?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      23rd Apr 2008
Dave,

Does providing the SYSTEM account Full Control help? Here are the Permission entries for "user account pictures" folder in my system:

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMOI)(CI)(IO)F

BUILTIN\Administrators:F

BUILTIN\AdministratorsOI)(CI)(IO)F

BUILTIN\Users:R

BUILTIN\UsersOI)(CI)(IO)(special access

GENERIC_READ

GENERIC_EXECUTE

BUILTIN\Power UsersOI)(CI)(special access

DELETE

READ_CONTROL

SYNCHRONIZE

FILE_GENERIC_READ