Weirdness - the L key puts my computer into locked mode

morgan1112

      4th Jul 2003
This is very weird, out of the blue whenever I press the L
key on my keyboard, windows goes into a locked mode and
the caps lock comes on.. every single time. I have done a
virus check and also checked around but can't find any hot
keys mapped to this behavior... any ideas?

nospam.please@ualberta.ca

      4th Jul 2003
Pressing the Windows-key plus the L normally puts you in locked mode.
Maybe your Windows-key is stuck?
Occasionally I see the ctrl/shift/alt type keys get "stuck" (not physically,
but in software somewhere) out of sync with their actual state - if you press
each of these keys a few times, it may get them back in sync.

In article <00e901c3424a$0ced5780$(E-Mail Removed)>, "morgan1112"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|This is very weird, out of the blue whenever I press the L
|key on my keyboard, windows goes into a locked mode and
|the caps lock comes on.. every single time. I have done a
|virus check and also checked around but can't find any hot
|keys mapped to this behavior... any ideas?

JJ

      4th Jul 2003
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:33:50 -0700, "morgan1112"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is very weird, out of the blue whenever I press the L
>key on my keyboard, windows goes into a locked mode and
>the caps lock comes on.. every single time. I have done a
>virus check and also checked around but can't find any hot
>keys mapped to this behavior... any ideas?

Try a different keyboard. Your windows key may be stuck just enough,
to make that happen, because WinKey + L locks the computer.

jj

§kullywag©-

      4th Jul 2003
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:23:05 -0400, JJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 09:33:50 -0700, "morgan1112"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>This is very weird, out of the blue whenever I press the L
>>key on my keyboard, windows goes into a locked mode and
>>the caps lock comes on.. every single time. I have done a
>>virus check and also checked around but can't find any hot
>>keys mapped to this behavior... any ideas?

>Try a different keyboard. Your windows key may be stuck just enough,
>to make that happen, because WinKey + L locks the computer.
>
>jj

Have to disagree with ya there.....
WinKey+L brings up the Logon screen.

My guess is the original poster has installed a 3rd party app that has
mapped "hot-keys". Tweakers, Screensaver launchers, and various
toolbar apps often have these features. On install they *may* set
hot-keys to default without you ever knowing it.

§kullywag©-

David

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This is very weird, out of the blue whenever I press the L
>key on my keyboard, windows goes into a locked mode and
>the caps lock comes on.. every single time. I have done a
>virus check and also checked around but can't find any hot
>keys mapped to this behavior... any ideas?

Tap your Windows Key a few times. It may be sticking.

David

Black Baptist

      12th Jul 2003
Jeff Johnson [MVP: VB] rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

>"§kullywag©-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> >Try a different keyboard. Your windows key may be stuck just enough,
>> >to make that happen, because WinKey + L locks the computer.

>> Have to disagree with ya there.....
>> WinKey+L brings up the Logon screen.

> I believe it depends on whether you're joined to a domain and/or have set
> the option to require Ctrl+Alt+Del to log on. I'm on a domain and Windows+L
> locks my machine.

Windows + L locks my machine too