Web site Probs

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

      6th Aug 2007
I think there is something wrong with the MS AS newsgroup web pages when
viewed thru a browser - IE7. This condition has prevailed for at least four
days now on my system, and, in viewing terms varies from giving only a `half
page load` to nothing at all. When the former happens, you cannot read the
posts. This is particularly noticeable when navigating from one NG to the
other. The WU NG loads with no problem. IE7 is giving a `Done` with the
following error :

Line: 14
Char: 1
Error: `dap Mgr` is undefined.
Code: 0

Followed by the URL of the web page being visited ...................

Stu

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      6th Aug 2007

squawking standby

"Stu" wrote:

> I think there is something wrong with the MS AS newsgroup web pages when
> viewed thru a browser - IE7. This condition has prevailed for at least four
> days now on my system, and, in viewing terms varies from giving only a `half
> page load` to nothing at all. When the former happens, you cannot read the
> posts. This is particularly noticeable when navigating from one NG to the
> other. The WU NG loads with no problem. IE7 is giving a `Done` with the
> following error :
>
> Line: 14
> Char: 1
> Error: `dap Mgr` is undefined.
> Code: 0
>
> Followed by the URL of the web page being visited ...................
>
> Stu

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      6th Aug 2007
Hi Stu,

Negative here, the same with IE7,

This came in my mind, how about flushing the DNS, Doesn't hurt to try, also
in the same vein, suggest cleaning up the system (clearing out all the
Temp/Tmp folders, and included all offline content, clearing the browser TIF,
Delete Cookies , do a
Disk CleanUp.

Good luck

"Stu" wrote:

> I think there is something wrong with the MS AS newsgroup web pages when
> viewed thru a browser - IE7. This condition has prevailed for at least four
> days now on my system, and, in viewing terms varies from giving only a `half
> page load` to nothing at all. When the former happens, you cannot read the
> posts. This is particularly noticeable when navigating from one NG to the
> other. The WU NG loads with no problem. IE7 is giving a `Done` with the
> following error :
>
> Line: 14
> Char: 1
> Error: `dap Mgr` is undefined.
> Code: 0
>
> Followed by the URL of the web page being visited ...................
>
> Stu

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      6th Aug 2007

Stu,
are you using a download manager like Getright, DAP, Orbit downloader ??
--
"Stu" wrote:

> I think there is something wrong with the MS AS newsgroup web pages when
> viewed thru a browser - IE7. This condition has prevailed for at least four
> days now on my system, and, in viewing terms varies from giving only a `half
> page load` to nothing at all. When the former happens, you cannot read the
> posts. This is particularly noticeable when navigating from one NG to the
> other. The WU NG loads with no problem. IE7 is giving a `Done` with the
> following error :
>
> Line: 14
> Char: 1
> Error: `dap Mgr` is undefined.
> Code: 0
>
> Followed by the URL of the web page being visited ...................
>
> Stu

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

      6th Aug 2007
Hi Engel - Nice to see you.

I`ve tried flushing the DNS cache and emptying the junk but it still seems
to be a `hit and miss affair`. Right now I`m showing an error but have
managed to get here. Strange. As I said before, I don`t seem to have any
trouble with any of the other MS NGs. Yes, I do use a download manager -
GetRight.

Squawking Ident

Take Care

Stu

"Engel" wrote:

> Stu,
> are you using a download manager like Getright, DAP, Orbit downloader ??
> --
> "Stu" wrote:
>
> > I think there is something wrong with the MS AS newsgroup web pages when
> > viewed thru a browser - IE7. This condition has prevailed for at least four
> > days now on my system, and, in viewing terms varies from giving only a `half
> > page load` to nothing at all. When the former happens, you cannot read the
> > posts. This is particularly noticeable when navigating from one NG to the
> > other. The WU NG loads with no problem. IE7 is giving a `Done` with the
> > following error :
> >
> > Line: 14
> > Char: 1
> > Error: `dap Mgr` is undefined.
> > Code: 0
> >
> > Followed by the URL of the web page being visited ...................
> >
> > Stu

Donald Anadell

      7th Aug 2007
Hi Stu,

I don't use the web interface to view these groups but rather an NNTP news
reader, but I took a look this morning with the IE6, IE7, and Avant Browsers
and I'm experiencing the same results as you are with regard to the Script
error(s) with those three Browsers. Here's my take on why this is
happening.

That error message("dapMgr" is undefined) is being caused by a missing .js
file(dap.js) that is not being served up from the MSN Ads server:
http://Ads1.msn.com/library/dap.js
possibly because the server itself is down at this time.

So the "dap.js" file in the following code:
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://Ads1.msn.com/library/dap.js"></script>
is not being downloaded to the Cache folder(Temporary Internet Files).

Another JavaScript in the Source code on those pages is calling for that
"dap.js" file and it's not available in the Cache(Temporary Internet Files)
and so a script error is rendered, here's the call for that "dap.js" file
that is causing the error message:

<script type="text/javascript">
dapMgr.enableACB("CMSSH1", false);
dapMgr.renderAd("CMSSH1", "&PG=CMSSH1&SC=F3&AP=1164",120,240);
</script>

It's calling "dapMgr" and "dapMgr" is defined in "dap.js" which is not
available in the cache folder(Temporary Internet Files), and so you get an
error message that "dapMgr" is undefined.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

"Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think there is something wrong with the MS AS newsgroup web pages when
> viewed thru a browser - IE7. This condition has prevailed for at least
> four
> days now on my system, and, in viewing terms varies from giving only a
> `half
> page load` to nothing at all. When the former happens, you cannot read the
> posts. This is particularly noticeable when navigating from one NG to the
> other. The WU NG loads with no problem. IE7 is giving a `Done` with the
> following error :
>
> Line: 14
> Char: 1
> Error: `dap Mgr` is undefined.
> Code: 0
>
> Followed by the URL of the web page being visited ...................
>
> Stu

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

      7th Aug 2007
Hi Donald

Ah! Many thanks for your explanation. I guess that must beg the question
there are times (like this) when it might not so be so smart to clean out the
TIF folder so often. What I mean is. If I hadn`t done so since the possible
MSN Ads server error started, then perhaps the dap.js file could already be
sitting here (in the TIF folder) from previous visits before things went
wrong. Or, doesn`t it work like that?

Stu

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> Hi Stu,
>
> I don't use the web interface to view these groups but rather an NNTP news
> reader, but I took a look this morning with the IE6, IE7, and Avant Browsers
> and I'm experiencing the same results as you are with regard to the Script
> error(s) with those three Browsers. Here's my take on why this is
> happening.
>
> That error message("dapMgr" is undefined) is being caused by a missing .js
> file(dap.js) that is not being served up from the MSN Ads server:
> http://Ads1.msn.com/library/dap.js
> possibly because the server itself is down at this time.
>
> So the "dap.js" file in the following code:
> <script type="text/javascript"
> src="http://Ads1.msn.com/library/dap.js"></script>
> is not being downloaded to the Cache folder(Temporary Internet Files).
>
> Another JavaScript in the Source code on those pages is calling for that
> "dap.js" file and it's not available in the Cache(Temporary Internet Files)
> and so a script error is rendered, here's the call for that "dap.js" file
> that is causing the error message:
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> dapMgr.enableACB("CMSSH1", false);
> dapMgr.renderAd("CMSSH1", "&PG=CMSSH1&SC=F3&AP=1164",120,240);
> </script>
>
> It's calling "dapMgr" and "dapMgr" is defined in "dap.js" which is not
> available in the cache folder(Temporary Internet Files), and so you get an
> error message that "dapMgr" is undefined.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> "Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I think there is something wrong with the MS AS newsgroup web pages when
> > viewed thru a browser - IE7. This condition has prevailed for at least
> > four
> > days now on my system, and, in viewing terms varies from giving only a
> > `half
> > page load` to nothing at all. When the former happens, you cannot read the
> > posts. This is particularly noticeable when navigating from one NG to the
> > other. The WU NG loads with no problem. IE7 is giving a `Done` with the
> > following error :
> >
> > Line: 14
> > Char: 1
> > Error: `dap Mgr` is undefined.
> > Code: 0
> >
> > Followed by the URL of the web page being visited ...................
> >
> > Stu

Donald Anadell

      7th Aug 2007
Hi Stu,

Your theory sounds good to me, like you I run CCleaner on nearly a daily
basis so any previously downloaded copy of dap.js would be long gone on any
of my machines here.

Just another good reason to abandon the use of the web interface for viewing
these groups and use an NNTP news reader IMHO;o)

> [...]

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I think there is something wrong with the MS AS newsgroup web pages when
>> > viewed thru a browser - IE7. This condition has prevailed for at least
>> > four
>> > days now on my system, and, in viewing terms varies from giving only a
>> > `half
>> > page load` to nothing at all. When the former happens, you cannot read
>> > the
>> > posts. This is particularly noticeable when navigating from one NG to
>> > the
>> > other. The WU NG loads with no problem. IE7 is giving a `Done` with the
>> > following error :
>> >
>> > Line: 14
>> > Char: 1
>> > Error: `dap Mgr` is undefined.
>> > Code: 0
>> >
>> > Followed by the URL of the web page being visited ...................

=?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

      7th Aug 2007
Hi Donald,

Perhaps its high time I abandoned my `die hard` approach of viewing these
NGs thru a web based interface and fire up Outlook Express.

Stu

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> Hi Stu,
>
> Your theory sounds good to me, like you I run CCleaner on nearly a daily
> basis so any previously downloaded copy of dap.js would be long gone on any
> of my machines here.
>
> Just another good reason to abandon the use of the web interface for viewing
> these groups and use an NNTP news reader IMHO;o)
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> "Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Donald
> >
> > Ah! Many thanks for your explanation. I guess that must beg the question
> > there are times (like this) when it might not so be so smart to clean out
> > the
> > TIF folder so often. What I mean is. If I hadn`t done so since the
> > possible
> > MSN Ads server error started, then perhaps the dap.js file could already
> > be
> > sitting here (in the TIF folder) from previous visits before things went
> > wrong. Or, doesn`t it work like that?
> >
> > Stu
> >
> > "Donald Anadell" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Stu,
> >>
> >> I don't use the web interface to view these groups but rather an NNTP
> >> news
> >> reader, but I took a look this morning with the IE6, IE7, and Avant
> >> Browsers
> >> and I'm experiencing the same results as you are with regard to the
> >> Script
> >> error(s) with those three Browsers. Here's my take on why this is
> >> happening.
> >>
> >> That error message("dapMgr" is undefined) is being caused by a missing
> >> .js
> >> file(dap.js) that is not being served up from the MSN Ads server:
> >> http://Ads1.msn.com/library/dap.js
> >> possibly because the server itself is down at this time.
> >>
> >> So the "dap.js" file in the following code:
> >> <script type="text/javascript"
> >> src="http://Ads1.msn.com/library/dap.js"></script>
> >> is not being downloaded to the Cache folder(Temporary Internet Files).
> >>
> >> Another JavaScript in the Source code on those pages is calling for that
> >> "dap.js" file and it's not available in the Cache(Temporary Internet
> >> Files)
> >> and so a script error is rendered, here's the call for that "dap.js" file
> >> that is causing the error message:
> >>
> >> <script type="text/javascript">
> >> dapMgr.enableACB("CMSSH1", false);
> >> dapMgr.renderAd("CMSSH1", "&PG=CMSSH1&SC=F3&AP=1164",120,240);
> >> </script>
> >>
> >> It's calling "dapMgr" and "dapMgr" is defined in "dap.js" which is not
> >> available in the cache folder(Temporary Internet Files), and so you get
> >> an
> >> error message that "dapMgr" is undefined.
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >>
> >> Donald Anadell
> >>

> >> "Stu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Bill Sanderson MVP

      18th Aug 2007
The general sentiment among "old timers" and folks who do significant
volumes of posting is in favor of NNTP. I certainly use NNTP most of the
time, myself. However, looking at forums/newsgroups in the perspective of
the broader Internet as a communications medium, I'm seeing considerable
advantage to a mechanism involving authentication of some sort--NNTP, like
email, is pretty anonymous. Authentication allows, for example, my posts
when made via HTML to show my MVP status, for whatever that is worth to the
reader--with some assurance that it is legitimate--and that I am who I
am--impersonation is not uncommon in NNTP groups.

Microsoft has made an attempt to incorporate this into the Vista mail
application, but I haven't used that mechanism enough to know how effective
and reliable it is. Beyond that--most folks just find HTML./web easier to
get started with.

The issue most large-volume responders have is with the speed and
responsiveness, and also the ability to work offline--some are still on
dialup and download messages and compose replies offline. In general, HTML
forums are painfully slow compared to NNTP--and this is annoying when you
are volunteering your time.

By all means learn about and try out NNTP--but be aware that there are a
number of support forums that Microsoft uses for various purposes and
products, which don't have an NNTP interface--OneCare used to be such a
product, but I believe they recently started an NNTP group which is a good
sign.