PC Review

web cam image freezes

9th Dec 2006
Hi ................can some kind person help me out please, I bought a new web cam , installed it and was dissapointed to find that after a few seconds the image freezes up and I have to unplug it before it works again (for another few seconds before freezing up again) I have re-installed it , same problem ,,,,,,, dont know what to do . I`m running a laptop with windows xp , all the requirements for the cam are well covered by my system , I installed it on my sisters pc and theres no prob ,,,, my nefews pc and again no prob ,,,,please help!
regards
Dun

Captain Crunchie, Retired

9th Dec 2006
This sounds like underpowered USB ... if so, get an external "powered" USB hub.

I am the dreadful menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

9th Dec 2006
will try today , thanx for your help , heres hoping

regards

Dun

10th Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckshifter
This sounds like underpowered USB ... if so, get an external "powered" USB hub.

tried usb external power ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,still freezes up ,,do you have any other ideas what it might be ?

cheers
kind regards
Dun

11th Dec 2006
>can some kind person help me out please, I bought a new web cam , installed it and was dissapointed to find that after >a few seconds the image freezes up

My first reply seems to have been lost so I'll try again. I did a Google search on `webcam freezes'. It seems that your experience is far from unique. Amongst the hits I found there is an issue between Yahoo Messenger and webcams. Go to this URL if you think it might help:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mes...webcam-41.html

Otherwise do you own Google search and see what you can find.

Good luck.

sugar 'n spikes

11th Dec 2006
Malcolm, it really isn't much help telling people to do a Google search. The majority of people know of Google and will likely have tried it before coming to a forum.

The reason they ask here or at other places where human beings can reply is to tap personal knowledge, to see if any body can help.

Imagine if every question was answered with 'Do a Google'.

However, thanks for replying to dun and the Yahoo/webcam link you provided

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

11th Dec 2006
Try using another USB device, preferably another webcam. It maybe that your computer doesn't support this type of webcams. It may also be due to a problem with the particular USB port

12th Dec 2006
Thanks for all the replys ,,,, in fact I have tried another cam and the same thing happens ,,,,all of the specs of my laptop are way above those required to run the cam so its not an issue of lack of power or speed etc .........the struggle goes on ha ha ha .......thanks Malcolm for the link ,,,I`ll try that this evening...please if anyone has any more ideas , I`d really apprciate your support.
regards and thanks
Dun

4th Sep 2008
Hi there, I was just wondering if you found the answer to your problem since I am having exactly the same problem now. I changed camera brands because whenever Iwas starting a call on skype the image was freezing. I played with every camera setting and test it and still nothing. After more of one year of this forum, the problem seems to be still unsolved. Just in case, I unistalled MSM messager, but still doesn't work. Any ideas? I already search in all the forums I found through Google if that is going to be the answer.
Thanks
Grisel

4th Sep 2008
Hi Grisel ,,, wow its been sooo long since I had that problem that I cant remember what in fact it was that I did to cure it ,,,, but I'll have a think and get back to you ,,,, I seem to recall that it wasnt a big deal ,,,, anyway despair not and watch this space
see ya

Dun

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: