WD fails to remove

=?Utf-8?B?SG93YXJk?=

      7th Jun 2006
WD found some bad things on my PC and tried to remove them. Succeded in all
but three - two marked 'High' and remaining marked 'Severe'. As far as I can
tell, the bad guys are still on my PC. What do I do now?
--
H.R.Oswald

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      7th Jun 2006
Hello H.R.Oswald,

Can you provide the name of the 'things'.

Since you don't say what the error message number is, I'm guessing, but I
would imagine the detections are either in an archive file (zip type
compressed file) which Defender doesn't remove, since such files could
contain other wanted/needed information, or they are in a restore folder
which also isn't touched by Defender, or they are in a quarantine fºlder.
All occurrences are harmless in that state but could cause a problem if
uncompressed or restºred.

You should see what files are involved by examining the system event lºg:
Do a start, run, eventvwr.msc, **click OK**, then click ºn

**System**, then View, then Filter, and scroll down the " event sºurce"

control to reach Windefend, that will give you a view of just Windows
Defender-related events.

Look for events with yellow triªngles

Then make a decision as to either deleting/ignoring/manually cleaning them
or in the other case emptying your restore folder and creating a new restore
point as described in these fºrums.

For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Еиçеl
--
"Howard" wrote:

> WD found some bad things on my PC and tried to remove them. Succeded in all
> but three - two marked 'High' and remaining marked 'Severe'. As far as I can
> tell, the bad guys are still on my PC. What do I do now?
> --
> H.R.Oswald

=?Utf-8?B?SG93YXJk?=

      7th Jun 2006
Hi Engel,
The "things" I was refering are : 'NewDotNet' (High); 'WebHancer' (High);and
Marketscore.InternetAccelera...'(Severe). All had the number 0x8007817
associated with it,
Does this help somewhat.
Howard
--
H.R.Oswald

"Engel" wrote:

> Hello H.R.Oswald,
>
> Can you provide the name of the 'things'.
>
> Since you don't say what the error message number is, I'm guessing, but I
> would imagine the detections are either in an archive file (zip type
> compressed file) which Defender doesn't remove, since such files could
> contain other wanted/needed information, or they are in a restore folder
> which also isn't touched by Defender, or they are in a quarantine fºlder.
> All occurrences are harmless in that state but could cause a problem if
> uncompressed or restºred.
>
> You should see what files are involved by examining the system event lºg:
> Do a start, run, eventvwr.msc, **click OK**, then click ºn
>
> **System**, then View, then Filter, and scroll down the " event sºurce"
>
> control to reach Windefend, that will give you a view of just Windows
> Defender-related events.
>
> Look for events with yellow triªngles
>
> Then make a decision as to either deleting/ignoring/manually cleaning them
> or in the other case emptying your restore folder and creating a new restore
> point as described in these fºrums.
>
> For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.
>
> I hope this post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
>
> Еиçеl
> --
> "Howard" wrote:
>
> > WD found some bad things on my PC and tried to remove them. Succeded in all
> > but three - two marked 'High' and remaining marked 'Severe'. As far as I can
> > tell, the bad guys are still on my PC. What do I do now?
> > --
> > H.R.Oswald

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      8th Jun 2006
Hi,

Right click My Computer > Properties > System Restore Tab.

Turn off System Restore, restart your computer.

This flushes out system restore.

Once you've restarted, re-enable system restore if you wish.

Reboot

Done

Try a manual scan.

"Howard" wrote:

> Hi Engel,
> The "things" I was refering are : 'NewDotNet' (High); 'WebHancer' (High);and
> Marketscore.InternetAccelera...'(Severe). All had the number 0x8007817
> associated with it,
> Does this help somewhat.
> Howard
> --
> H.R.Oswald
>

> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hello H.R.Oswald,
> >
> > Can you provide the name of the 'things'.
> >
> > Since you don't say what the error message number is, I'm guessing, but I
> > would imagine the detections are either in an archive file (zip type
> > compressed file) which Defender doesn't remove, since such files could
> > contain other wanted/needed information, or they are in a restore folder
> > which also isn't touched by Defender, or they are in a quarantine fºlder.
> > All occurrences are harmless in that state but could cause a problem if
> > uncompressed or restºred.
> >
> > You should see what files are involved by examining the system event lºg:
> > Do a start, run, eventvwr.msc, **click OK**, then click ºn
> >
> > **System**, then View, then Filter, and scroll down the " event sºurce"
> >
> > control to reach Windefend, that will give you a view of just Windows
> > Defender-related events.
> >
> > Look for events with yellow triªngles
> >
> > Then make a decision as to either deleting/ignoring/manually cleaning them
> > or in the other case emptying your restore folder and creating a new restore
> > point as described in these fºrums.
> >
> > For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.
> >
> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >
> > Let us know how it works ºut.
> >
> > Еиçеl
> > --
> > "Howard" wrote:
> >
> > > WD found some bad things on my PC and tried to remove them. Succeded in all
> > > but three - two marked 'High' and remaining marked 'Severe'. As far as I can
> > > tell, the bad guys are still on my PC. What do I do now?
> > > --
> > > H.R.Oswald

=?Utf-8?B?SG93YXJk?=

      8th Jun 2006
Hi,
Ran the scan and no bad guys showed up. I guess I'm clear for the moment.
Thanks for all your help.
Howard
--
H.R.Oswald

=?Utf-8?B?RW5nZWw=?=

      8th Jun 2006
Hi Howard,

Thanks for letting us know the outcome!
(¯`·._.·Еиçеl·._.·´¯)
--

"Howard" wrote:

> Hi,
> Ran the scan and no bad guys showed up. I guess I'm clear for the moment.
> Thanks for all your help.
> Howard
> --
> H.R.Oswald
>

> "Engel" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Right click My Computer > Properties > System Restore Tab.
> >
> > Turn off System Restore, restart your computer.
> >
> > This flushes out system restore.
> >
> > Once you've restarted, re-enable system restore if you wish.
> >
> > Reboot
> >
> > Done
> >
> > Try a manual scan.
> >
> > For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.
> >
> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >
> > Let us know how it works ºut.
> >
> > Еиçеl
> > --
> >
> > "Howard" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Engel,
> > > The "things" I was refering are : 'NewDotNet' (High); 'WebHancer' (High);and
> > > Marketscore.InternetAccelera...'(Severe). All had the number 0x8007817
> > > associated with it,
> > > Does this help somewhat.
> > > Howard
> > > --
> > > H.R.Oswald

=?Utf-8?B?cGlzc19hbnQ=?=

      10th Jun 2006
Do not use these instructions. You will lose your restore points.

The pinheads at microsoft are aware that they have problems with their WD
anti-spyware and that it will not remove NewDotNet or
Marketscore.InternetAccelerator.

william shake_speer