WD Elements SE

William Brown

      6th Jan 2011

I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
after its removed from the USB Port.?

Don Phillipson

      6th Jan 2011
"William Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
> after its removed from the USB Port.?

This is non-standard. WinXP is designed to add an external USB
icon to the Systray when a device is connected: and this icon has
a menu (Right Click) to shut down by command.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Arno

      6th Jan 2011
William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
> after its removed from the USB Port.?

Not at all. Use safe remove though.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
----

William Brown

      7th Jan 2011
On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:46:25 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"William Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
>> after its removed from the USB Port.?

>This is non-standard. WinXP is designed to add an external USB
>icon to the Systray when a device is connected: and this icon has
>a menu (Right Click) to shut down by command.

I have all that and a better one Call USB Safely Remove, this is not
what I am asking how long does the drive take to spin down so its safe
to move..

William Brown

      7th Jan 2011
On 6 Jan 2011 14:19:02 GMT, Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
>> after its removed from the USB Port.?

>Not at all. Use safe remove though.
>
>Arno

Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP, but the Drive
light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move
or do I have to wait 10Mins..?

Rod Speed

      7th Jan 2011
William Brown wrote
> Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the
>>> drive to shut down after its removed from the USB Port.?

>> Not at all. Use safe remove though.

> Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better
> progam that XP, but the Drive light is still flashing,

Then it isnt far better than XP.

> so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move

Nope.

> or do I have to wait 10Mins..?

You need to power down the drive before moving it if it isnt getting the power from the USB ports.

Arno

      8th Jan 2011
William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2011 14:19:02 GMT, Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
>>> after its removed from the USB Port.?

>>Not at all. Use safe remove though.
>>
>>Arno

> Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP, but the Drive
> light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move
> or do I have to wait 10Mins..?

Ah, you have to unplug the power as well, wait about 30 seconds
and then you can move it.

Arno
--

Ian D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "William Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Not at all. Use safe remove though.
>>>
>>>Arno

>> Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP, but the Drive
>> light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is it safe to move
>> or do I have to wait 10Mins..?

> The heads park immediately, and the drive stops spinning almost
> instantly when unplugged from the USB connector.

They should. They not always do. Better unplug the power
and wait about 30 seconds.

> If you do
> the safely remove procedure first, that should physically shut
> down the drive.

Huh? Since when? And why should it do that? Safe remove
only flushes the OS buffers to disk.

> In fact, if the drive is optimized for safe removal
> in Device Manager, you don't need the safe removal process. Just
> give it a few seconds after the last write, then unplug it, and you're
> good to go.

Not with regard to head parking and platter spining. That takes
15 seconds or so, so better wait 30 seconds after power unplug.

> If the drive is still flashing after running your safely remove
> program, that app is obviously not working properly.

I agree.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
----

Arno

      8th Jan 2011
William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:46:25 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>"William Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I have a New 500Gb drive, how long do I wait for the drive to shut down
>>> after its removed from the USB Port.?

>>This is non-standard. WinXP is designed to add an external USB
>>icon to the Systray when a device is connected: and this icon has
>>a menu (Right Click) to shut down by command.

> I have all that and a better one Call USB Safely Remove, this is not
> what I am asking how long does the drive take to spin down so its safe
> to move..

The last time I looked this up in a drive datasheet, it was
15 seconds after power has been removed. So better wait 30
seconds after unplugging the power connection.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
----

Rod Speed

      8th Jan 2011
Arno wrote
> Ian D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> William Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> Arno <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

>>> Yes I have USB Safely Remove a far better progam that XP,
>>> but the Drive light is still flashing, so after I unplug the drive is
>>> it safe to move or do I have to wait 10Mins..?

>> The heads park immediately, and the drive stops spinning
>> almost instantly when unplugged from the USB connector.

> They should. They not always do. Better unplug the power

Yes.

> and wait about 30 seconds.

You dont need to wait that long.

>> If you do the safely remove procedure first,
>> that should physically shut down the drive.

> Huh? Since when?

Since forever.

> And why should it do that?

Because thats the way its designed to operate.

> Safe remove only flushes the OS buffers to disk.

It also sends a shut down command to the drive,
and most drives will shut down when they get that.

You can see that with drives that have an active led.

>> In fact, if the drive is optimized for safe removal in Device
>> Manager, you don't need the safe removal process. Just
>> give it a few seconds after the last write, then unplug it,
>> and you're good to go.

> Not with regard to head parking and platter spining. That takes 15 seconds or so,

No it doesnt with many drives.

> so better wait 30 seconds after power unplug.

You dont usually need to wait that long and you can check
how long it takes for a particular drive to spin down by
putting your hand on the drive, you can usually feel it.