wbemcore.dll using 100% CPU through SVCHOST

Madzilla

      8th May 2004
For months now I've been having a disappearing/reappearing problem of
SVCHOST using all CPU resources. If it happens, it *only* happens
whenever I am connected to the Internet, usually after several hours
of the connection being open, and it ends either mysteriously, or when
I end the connection.

Multiple adware, spyware, anti-virus/worm/trojan scans later, nothing.
HijackThis doesn't find anything.

Using Process Explorer, I've determined that SVCHOST is accessing
wbemcore.dll; when I kill SVCHOST's accessing of wbemcore, my system
returns to normal. What would cause this situation? I run WinXP SP1;
it has happened both on dialup and on DSL.

Any help would be appreciated.

Skip

      8th May 2004
us;838884

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp
url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/wmi_start_page.asp

Check out above listings. It sounds like something you
might want to live with until next service pack(SP2)
comes out this summer...Good luck.

Madzilla

      9th May 2004
"Skip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<a39201c4350b$e2c17c60$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
> us;838884
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
> url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/wmi_start_page.asp
>
> Check out above listings. It sounds like something you
> might want to live with until next service pack(SP2)
> comes out this summer...Good luck.

Well at least now I know what it is. Thanks!