wbemcore.dll and CPU usage

=?Utf-8?B?c2FuaXR5bG9zdA==?=

      27th Nov 2004
When I open "Task Manager" I can see that svchost.exe is using 0-98% CPU
power. I have "Process Explorer" installed and it shows me that the dll that
is consuming all the CPU power is wbemcore.dll.
I have read about a memory leak in the above dll and that it was to be fixed
with SP2. I have SP2 installed and running. I don't know how long this has
been going on because I have only noticed the CPU usage recently. I installed
SP2 when it first became available and have not encountered any other
problems. I hope someone can help. I have been told that maybe I should
reinstall SP2 over the one currently installed...is this advisable?
Thanks for the feedback.

Mark L. Ferguson

      27th Nov 2004
Sounds like some backdoor trojan to me. Do a virus scan.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
marfers notes for windows xp
"sanitylost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I open "Task Manager" I can see that svchost.exe is using 0-98% CPU
> power. I have "Process Explorer" installed and it shows me that the dll
> that
> is consuming all the CPU power is wbemcore.dll.
> I have read about a memory leak in the above dll and that it was to be
> fixed
> with SP2. I have SP2 installed and running. I don't know how long this has
> been going on because I have only noticed the CPU usage recently. I
> installed
> SP2 when it first became available and have not encountered any other
> problems. I hope someone can help. I have been told that maybe I should
> reinstall SP2 over the one currently installed...is this advisable?
> Thanks for the feedback.

=?Utf-8?B?c2FuaXR5bG9zdA==?=

      27th Nov 2004
I did many scans with different programs and nothing. Check the microsoft
bulletin...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=838884

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Sounds like some backdoor trojan to me. Do a virus scan.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> ..
> "sanitylost" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I open "Task Manager" I can see that svchost.exe is using 0-98% CPU
> > power. I have "Process Explorer" installed and it shows me that the dll
> > that
> > is consuming all the CPU power is wbemcore.dll.
> > I have read about a memory leak in the above dll and that it was to be
> > fixed
> > with SP2. I have SP2 installed and running. I don't know how long this has
> > been going on because I have only noticed the CPU usage recently. I
> > installed
> > SP2 when it first became available and have not encountered any other
> > problems. I hope someone can help. I have been told that maybe I should
> > reinstall SP2 over the one currently installed...is this advisable?
> > Thanks for the feedback.

=?Utf-8?B?c2FuaXR5bG9zdA==?=

      28th Nov 2004
PROBLEM SOLVED: I did a selective start-up and found that the program
"SmartFix" from "DefendGate" causes the problem when you have the "System
Intrusion Prevention" box checked (enabled). If it is not enabled then all is
fine.