Is this the way Windows XP was designed?

Kerry Brown

      3rd May 2005
"David Sherman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> True but lets take it like many users do it.
>
> I right click on a folder in Windows 2000 and Windows XP and share it.
> I don't care whether it is simple sharing or not. Most users use
> simple sharing
>
> XP should automatically ask for user name and password like Windows
> 2000 does. Try it.
>
> Take a Linux Live Distrubition like Knoppix 3.8 and/or Suse 9.2 or
> 9.3. Boot it and tell me what you see.
>
> Run nmap in Linux and get all the ip addesses.
>
> Go for the files!!

True, I don't agree with Microsoft's decision to make simple file sharing
the default. I especially don't like the fact that Home can only use simple
file sharing. A lot of homes have multiple computers hooked up to a router.
Then add wireless and the fact that most home users don't set up any
security in to the equation. I can see three of my neighbour's networks
right now. It's a disaster waiting to happen. I thought you were asking for
help in your OP, not making a philisophical judgement :-)

Kerry

> On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:00:58 -0700, Malke <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Kerry Brown wrote:
>>
>>> "David Sherman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>Linux, like all other grown-up operating systems except for XP Home, has
>>a Guest account which is usually disabled by default for security
>>reasons. XP Pro is exactly like this, too. Disable your Simple Sharing
>>on XP Pro and Pro will require users to be authenticated just like
>>Win2k or Linux, etc. You've just got XP Pro set up with Simple Sharing,
>>that's all.
>>
>>Malke

David Sherman

      4th May 2005
My problem is bad but can you thinks about all those who use BearShare
and find out that there tax return was shared across the county?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in692765.shtml