WAV volume slider drops down for unknown reason??

Ron Hirsch

      16th Jan 2009
In my main computer system, where I used the sound system on the mobo when I
built it in 2006, for some reason the WAV volume slider setting drops way
down periodically for some unknown reason.

I running XP Pro SP3, fully patched. The mobo is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
board.

The sound system is Realtek AC97 Audio, which is on the mobo. I often play
video tutorials, and I'll notice that the sound level is way down. Bringing
up the Realtek Volume Control dialog box, I see that all the other 5 sliders
are near the top (max volume) except the WAV slider, which is way down.
Sliding it back up restores things to normal.

But I can't figure out what changes that setting. Various media players do
have a volume slider in them, but I've not seen that mess with the master
volume setting in the WAV volume control.window.

This is obviously not a problem of any consequence. But I always like to
understand what's happening, when strange things happen.

It's been doing this for a long time,

Ron Hirsch

smlunatick

      16th Jan 2009
On Jan 16, 6:05*pm, "Ron Hirsch" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> In my main computer system, where I used the sound system on the mobo when I
> built it in 2006, for some reason the WAV volume slider setting drops way
> down periodically for some unknown reason.
>
> I running XP Pro SP3, fully patched. The mobo is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
> board.
>
> The sound system is Realtek AC97 Audio, which is on the mobo. I often play
> video tutorials, and I'll notice that the sound level is way down. Bringing
> up the Realtek Volume Control dialog box, I see that all the other 5 sliders
> are near the top (max volume) except the WAV slider, which is way down.
> Sliding it back up restores things to normal.
>
> But I can't figure out what changes that setting. Various media players do
> have a volume slider in them, but I've not seen that mess with the master
> volume setting in the WAV volume control.window.
>
> This is obviously not a problem of any consequence. But I always like to
> understand what's happening, when strange things happen.
>
> It's been doing this for a long time,
>
> Ron Hirsch

It has been previously posted that sometime SP3 might not like, or
accept, the older drivers. Usually by updating the drivers, most
sound card problem "post-SP3" seems to solve this problem.

Ron Hirsch

      17th Jan 2009
I doubt that it is a driver problem.

This situation has occurred periodically since I built the machine, when XP
was SP1.

And, since it occurs only sporadically, there must be a "trigger" from
something that causes it - at least that's what I would think.

I just have no idea what the "trigger" might be.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...