PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Watch Your Back - Grinning Shark

 
 
miasmal@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      16th Mar 2005
This is a third party software used in conjunction with Outlook to
strip "read-receipt requested" flags from Emails. Since the feature
can't be turned off when Outlook is in Corporate mode, the only way to
prevent sending any receipts is through this kind of software. Note-
Grinning Shark software/website no longer active as of 12/31/04.

I started using this back in 2002. I missed the author's email that he
was no longer in the business as of end of 2004 - so now I am unable to
install & run a copy of my older WYB software on my new PC as it
requires internet registration. I didn't even get a chance to download
the latest version. Does version 4.3 (I think that's the last one) do
this internet registration as well? I really miss using it, I have OSK
but it's not as good as WYB for Corporate Win2k/Outlook 2k.

Anyone have a good working copy, or a way to get the program going past
30 days?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Mar 2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This is a third party software used in conjunction with Outlook to
> strip "read-receipt requested" flags from Emails. Since the feature
> can't be turned off when Outlook is in Corporate mode, the only way to
> prevent sending any receipts is through this kind of software. Note-
> Grinning Shark software/website no longer active as of 12/31/04.
>
> I started using this back in 2002. I missed the author's email that
> he was no longer in the business as of end of 2004 - so now I am
> unable to install & run a copy of my older WYB software on my new PC
> as it requires internet registration. I didn't even get a chance to
> download the latest version. Does version 4.3 (I think that's the
> last one) do this internet registration as well? I really miss using
> it, I have OSK but it's not as good as WYB for Corporate
> Win2k/Outlook 2k.
>
> Anyone have a good working copy, or a way to get the program going
> past 30 days?


Try googling - that's the only advice I can offer.

Many others miss this software too, but note that if you use Outlook 2003
you don't need any 3rd party apps to do this anyway. And OL2003 is waaaay
better than anything prior - OL2002/XP was good, but if you're on 2000 or
prior, you should upgrade anyway as that's old stuff and no longer
supported.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
miasmal@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Mar 2005
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> Try googling - that's the only advice I can offer.
>
> Many others miss this software too, but note that if you use Outlook

2003
> you don't need any 3rd party apps to do this anyway. And OL2003 is

waaaay
> better than anything prior - OL2002/XP was good, but if you're on

2000 or
> prior, you should upgrade anyway as that's old stuff and no longer
> supported.


Yep, I have been googling.... switching to 2003 is not an option as the
corporate standard here in the company is 2000. Even if we did move to
2003, I'm sure they would find a way to restrict the "remove RR"
option. I guess I'll stick with OSK and its associated limitations.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      22nd Mar 2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>> Try googling - that's the only advice I can offer.
>>
>> Many others miss this software too, but note that if you use Outlook
>> 2003 you don't need any 3rd party apps to do this anyway. And OL2003
>> is waaaay better than anything prior - OL2002/XP was good, but if
>> you're on 2000 or prior, you should upgrade anyway as that's old
>> stuff and no longer supported.

>
> Yep, I have been googling.... switching to 2003 is not an option as
> the corporate standard here in the company is 2000. Even if we did
> move to 2003, I'm sure they would find a way to restrict the "remove
> RR" option. I guess I'll stick with OSK and its associated
> limitations.


Ah. Well, if your company has a standard build (as it should), I'm surprised
they'd let you install/use WYB anyway....and what's more, if you say that
they would somehow remove the option to block read receipts in OL2003 it
kind of tells me they don't want you to do this, right?

Abide by your corporate standards. Do not PO your IT staff. Do not PO the
waiter before he brings you your food. Common sense. ;-)


 
Reply With Quote
 
dBugged
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      23rd Mar 2005
>>Ah. Well, if your company has a standard build (as it should), I'm
surprised
they'd let you install/use WYB anyway....and what's more, if you say
that
they would somehow remove the option to block read receipts in OL2003
it
kind of tells me they don't want you to do this, right?

Abide by your corporate standards. Do not PO your IT staff. Do not PO
the
waiter before he brings you your food. Common sense. ;-) <<

Well said! I'd agree with that! I use WYB! daily, since we're stuck
with one version prior to OL2003 and cannot install the new version.

I've been a user of WYB! for several years also and was disappointed to
hear about this program going away, but don't blame the guy for wanting
to spend time with his family instead of in front of his computer. I
know how that is. My wife beans me over the head when I sit in front
of some of my favorite online games. I was lucky enough to snag a copy
of the final version (kept slipping my mind to download it) before his
site closed down some time in February. The final version didn't have
the registration requirement, however the author requested that we not
share this final version (4.4 is what my software says is the version
of this final one).

 
Reply With Quote
 
hisboyelroy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26th Mar 2005
Are you willing to share a copy of the program?


> I was lucky enough to snag a copy
> of the final version (kept slipping my mind to download it) before his
> site closed down some time in February. The final version didn't have
> the registration requirement, however the author requested that we not
> share this final version (4.4 is what my software says is the version
> of this final one).
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
dBugged
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      28th Mar 2005
>> Are you willing to share a copy of the program?

No, I am not willing to share. I don't think that would be fair to the
author to share the software, especially when the author graciously
asked us not to.

 
Reply With Quote
 
miasmal@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      29th Mar 2005
uggg, that bites - he should have sent a copy of the program (it's not
that big) to every registered user. Not fair :-( I would have gladly
paid the author 5x the registration fee (it was $12 back then) to send
me the updated version before he disappeared. The program was _that_
important to me. OSK has some limitations and slips by a RR or two on
occasion. It also can't handle multiple mailboxes.

Also I am in IT with sufficient privileges. If there was a simple fix
via Registry to remove this grey-out section
Tools.Options.Preferences.Email Options.Tracking Options - I would like
to know, as I would have done so already.



dBugged wrote:
> >> Are you willing to share a copy of the program?

>
> No, I am not willing to share. I don't think that would be fair to

the
> author to share the software, especially when the author graciously
> asked us not to.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      29th Mar 2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> uggg, that bites - he should have sent a copy of the program (it's not
> that big) to every registered user.


Why? I don't think Chrysler sent out Oldsmobiles to all prior purchasers,
after they decided to discontinue the line... ;-)

> Not fair :-(


Didn't your mother tell you life wasn't fair? I think mine used to mention
that at least twice a day. I think I was a pretty whiny kid.

> I would have
> gladly paid the author 5x the registration fee (it was $12 back then)
> to send me the updated version before he disappeared. The program
> was _that_ important to me. OSK has some limitations and slips by a
> RR or two on occasion. It also can't handle multiple mailboxes.
>
> Also I am in IT with sufficient privileges. If there was a simple fix
> via Registry to remove this grey-out section
> Tools.Options.Preferences.Email Options.Tracking Options - I would
> like to know, as I would have done so already.


Nothing I know of, sorry. Hope your company decides to ditch OL2000 and move
into the 21st c. soon!

>
>
>
> dBugged wrote:
>>>> Are you willing to share a copy of the program?

>>
>> No, I am not willing to share. I don't think that would be fair to
>> the author to share the software, especially when the author
>> graciously asked us not to.



 
Reply With Quote
 
hisboyelroy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      29th Mar 2005
I guess I'm confused...your final copy has no registration requirement and
your not willing to share?
Did you pay for the final download? If so, then I understand not wanting to
share, that would be
piracy. If you did not pay, then I do not understand your
decision...freeware is freeware.

"dBugged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Are you willing to share a copy of the program?

>
> No, I am not willing to share. I don't think that would be fair to the
> author to share the software, especially when the author graciously
> asked us not to.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grinning Shark Watch Your Back for Outlook miasmal@gmail.com Microsoft Outlook 2 16th Mar 2005 06:24 PM
Viewsonic p95f+b (new) Problem: blue-ish swooshes bottom corner: shark gills bent Video Cards 1 6th Jan 2005 01:24 AM
Shark 250 drive Greg Guzley Windows XP Hardware 2 15th Mar 2004 04:03 AM
Grinning Shark "Watch Your Back" Crashing Outlook 2002 Alan Boritz Microsoft Outlook 2 15th Jan 2004 03:28 PM
Avatar Shark 250 mb drive Greg Guzley Windows XP Hardware 5 11th Jan 2004 02:22 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:58 AM.