WARNING - NVIDIA DRIVER IS CORRUPT

Neil Goulder

      16th Feb 2004
Using Windows Update, I downloaded two updates over the
weekend - one of these updates the NVidia driver.

THIS DRIVER UPDATE APPEARS TO BE CORRUPT. On rebooting,
the PC hung with a load of vertical lines on the screen.

I rebooted into VGA mode and reloaded the original driver
and everything was OK.

I have searched everywhere on the Microsft Site and there
appears to be no way of warning them that there are
problems with this update. Please would someone warn
them. This problem would have been catastrophoc to any
non-technical user.

Regards, Neil

Keith

      16th Feb 2004
Neil,
Unfortunately we are non-technical users. I got a call
this morning that my wife had downloaded the updates when
the reminder popped up on the screen, rebooted the
computer, and now we have no monitor so we can not
resolve anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Keith

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

      16th Feb 2004
Never ever ever update drivers from WU. ALWAYS get drivers from the hw mfr.

Neil Goulder wrote:
> Using Windows Update, I downloaded two updates over the
> weekend - one of these updates the NVidia driver.
>
> THIS DRIVER UPDATE APPEARS TO BE CORRUPT. On rebooting,
> the PC hung with a load of vertical lines on the screen.
>
> I rebooted into VGA mode and reloaded the original driver
> and everything was OK.
>
> I have searched everywhere on the Microsft Site and there
> appears to be no way of warning them that there are
> problems with this update. Please would someone warn
> them. This problem would have been catastrophoc to any
> non-technical user.
>
> Regards, Neil

John

      16th Feb 2004
In article <1131201c3f49c$681e2f30$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Neil,
> Unfortunately we are non-technical users. I got a call
> this morning that my wife had downloaded the updates when
> the reminder popped up on the screen, rebooted the
> computer, and now we have no monitor so we can not
> resolve anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Keith

Re-boot the computer into Safe Mode (press the F8 key during the early
stages of the boot sequence).

That loads the plain vanilla vga driver. That will make your machine
usable enough to load a proper driver.

techguru100

      18th Feb 2004
That reminds me of one time when I used Windows Update to
update my audio drivers, I lost features installed by the
hardware manufacturer, to get the features back, I had to
go to device manager to roll back the drivers.