Want to set SBS 2008 as Master browser. Enable Network browsing

Aspen CE

      15th Oct 2009

Having an Issue with Network Browsing

The Network has two servers currently on the Domain EXAMPLE

Server A runs active directory, DHCP , DNS, Exchange and pretty much everything that a domain controller runs. (is SBS 2008 SP1)

Server B is a defunct server and has been in place before I came in to look at the network. It has some shared folders and that?s about it. (is Windows Server 2003 SP2)

I am having issue with Client computers not able to browse the network if they go to
Network Places >> Entire Network >> Microsoft Windows Network >> EXAMPLE

Getting the following error
Example is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently not available

Information Gathered so far

On the SBS 2008 server manager console
1. under Features >> WINS >> Active Registrations I don?t see EXAMPLE Listed as Domain Controller as well as Master Browser
(I say this by looking at a similar deployment that works fine and has the domain name listed as domain controller and master Browser)
EXAMPLE is only listed as Type [00h] Workgroup and IP address point to Server B

2. Coming back on track, Under Active directory Users and Computers, the DC type for server A is GC whereas that for server B is DC

3. When I run a browstat status on the domain I get
Browsing is not active on the Domain
Master Browser is held by: B
Master Browser is running build 3790

4. On Server B registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster has been set to FALSE.

5. For Some reason IsDomainMaster key was not found in Server A registry (dunno if it?s a SBS 2008 thing)

Action items

1. I want to have server A as the master browser

2. Browsing needs to be enabled under browstat status and master browser pointing to server A

Please let me know if more troubleshooting info is required.

How to make your Web Site More Googly
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-web-site.aspx

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

      15th Oct 2009
By default, computer browser is disabled in windows 2008. This search result
may help.

Computer Browser service is disabled on Windows Server 20081 post - 1
author - Last post: Sep 17, 2008
By default, Computer Browser service is disabled on Windows Server
2008. If you need the machine to be a domain master browser server (on ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=4940

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Aspen CE" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having an Issue with Network Browsing
>
> The Network has two servers currently on the Domain EXAMPLE
>
> Server A runs active directory, DHCP , DNS, Exchange and pretty much
> everything that a domain controller runs. (is SBS 2008 SP1)
>
> Server B is a defunct server and has been in place before I came in to
> look at the network. It has some shared folders and that?s about it. (is
> Windows Server 2003 SP2)
>
> I am having issue with Client computers not able to browse the network if
> they go to
> Network Places >> Entire Network >> Microsoft Windows Network >> EXAMPLE
>
> Getting the following error
> Example is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
> you have access permissions.
>
> The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently not available
>
> Information Gathered so far
>
> On the SBS 2008 server manager console
> 1. under Features >> WINS >> Active Registrations I don?t see EXAMPLE
> Listed as Domain Controller as well as Master Browser
> (I say this by looking at a similar deployment that works fine and has the
> domain name listed as domain controller and master Browser)
> EXAMPLE is only listed as Type [00h] Workgroup and IP address point to
> Server B
>
> 2. Coming back on track, Under Active directory Users and Computers, the
> DC type for server A is GC whereas that for server B is DC
>
> 3. When I run a browstat status on the domain I get
> Browsing is not active on the Domain
> Master Browser is held by: B
> Master Browser is running build 3790
>
> 4. On Server B registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic
> es\Browser\Parameters\IsDomainMaster has been set to FALSE.
>
> 5. For Some reason IsDomainMaster key was not found in Server A registry
> (dunno if it?s a SBS 2008 thing)
>
> Action items
>
> 1. I want to have server A as the master browser
>
> 2. Browsing needs to be enabled under browstat status and master browser
> pointing to server A
>
> Please let me know if more troubleshooting info is required.

> How to make your Web Site More Googly
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-web-site.aspx

Anteaus

      20th Oct 2009
SBS uses DNS to locate computers. Do a nslookup on the hostname of each
computer. If it cannot be located then your DNS is set-up incorrectly.

Key points to check:

Each computer which needs to be found should have an A record and PTR record
on the local DNS service. This should happen automatically if the computers
are joined to the domain. If not you need to do this manually.

On the client, the SBS should be the preferred DNS server, and the domain
suffix should be correctly set.

Though, I would suggest you drop this method of working entirely, and use a
logon script to determine network resources. Sometimes the old methods are
the ones that cut the mustard.

--
"This is a wonderful computer. It''s 20yrs old and absolutely reliable.