I want Network icon in the system tray to disappear when not connected-> how?

SC Tom

      23rd Feb 2012

"XP Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got XP installed on a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports.
>
> There is an icon in the system tray for each one. When either of them
> (or both of them) is not connected to the network, their respective icon
> is shown with a red X across it.
>
> What I want is -> to NOT see the icon corresponding to the disconnected
> port.
>
> I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the system
> tray.
>
> So if both of them are not connected, then NO ethernet icon shows up in
> the tray. If one of them is connected, then I will see it's icon in the
> tray (without the red X).
>
> There seem to be only two settings that govern the behavior of the
> network tray-icon:
>
> - Show icon in notification area when connected
> - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity
>
> So you would think that simply enabling the first one, and NOT enabling
> the second one would do what I want.
>
> But no. I still see the icon with a red X when the cable is not plugged
> in.
>
> Why doesn't disabling the second setting result in making that icon
> disappear?
>
> How can I make the network icon disappear when it's not connected?

Don't know what resources you have available, but the icons are contained in \system32\netshell.dll. If you have the
ability to edit a dll (with what, I don't know), you could erase the red x icon within it. There's your solution; I just
don't know how to accomplish it :-)
--
SC Tom

BillW50

      23rd Feb 2012
In news:ji5b8e$cvl$(E-Mail Removed),
SC Tom wrote:
> "XP Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've got XP installed on a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports.
>>
>> There is an icon in the system tray for each one. When either of
>> them (or both of them) is not connected to the network, their
>> respective icon is shown with a red X across it.
>>
>> What I want is -> to NOT see the icon corresponding to the
>> disconnected port.
>>
>> I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the system
>> tray.
>>
>> So if both of them are not connected, then NO ethernet icon shows up
>> in the tray. If one of them is connected, then I will see it's icon
>> in the tray (without the red X).
>>
>> There seem to be only two settings that govern the behavior of the
>> network tray-icon:
>>
>> - Show icon in notification area when connected
>> - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity
>>
>> So you would think that simply enabling the first one, and NOT
>> enabling the second one would do what I want.
>>
>> But no. I still see the icon with a red X when the cable is not
>> plugged in.
>>
>> Why doesn't disabling the second setting result in making that icon
>> disappear?
>>
>> How can I make the network icon disappear when it's not connected?

> Don't know what resources you have available, but the icons are
> contained in \system32\netshell.dll. If you have the ability to edit
> a dll (with what, I don't know), you could erase the red x icon
> within it. There's your solution; I just don't know how to accomplish
> it :-)

You can use ResHacker to open %windir%\system32\netshell.dll and delete
Icon Group 195 if you wanted to go through this route. Backup the file
first. ;-)

Resource Hacker
http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

--
Bill

SC Tom

      23rd Feb 2012

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ji5fb1$379$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In news:ji5b8e$cvl$(E-Mail Removed),
> SC Tom wrote:
>> "XP Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've got XP installed on a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports.
>>>
>>> There is an icon in the system tray for each one. When either of
>>> them (or both of them) is not connected to the network, their
>>> respective icon is shown with a red X across it.
>>>
>>> What I want is -> to NOT see the icon corresponding to the
>>> disconnected port.
>>>
>>> I want it to completely disappear. To not be present in the system
>>> tray.
>>>
>>> So if both of them are not connected, then NO ethernet icon shows up
>>> in the tray. If one of them is connected, then I will see it's icon
>>> in the tray (without the red X).
>>>
>>> There seem to be only two settings that govern the behavior of the
>>> network tray-icon:
>>>
>>> - Show icon in notification area when connected
>>> - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity
>>>
>>> So you would think that simply enabling the first one, and NOT
>>> enabling the second one would do what I want.
>>>
>>> But no. I still see the icon with a red X when the cable is not
>>> plugged in.
>>>
>>> Why doesn't disabling the second setting result in making that icon
>>> disappear?
>>>
>>> How can I make the network icon disappear when it's not connected?

>> Don't know what resources you have available, but the icons are
>> contained in \system32\netshell.dll. If you have the ability to edit
>> a dll (with what, I don't know), you could erase the red x icon
>> within it. There's your solution; I just don't know how to accomplish
>> it :-)

> You can use ResHacker to open %windir%\system32\netshell.dll and delete Icon Group 195 if you wanted to go through
> this route. Backup the file first. ;-)
>
> Resource Hacker
> http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

I found this one http://melander.dk/reseditor/ easier to work with, and a bit more versatile.

So, for grins and giggles, I decided to edit the two icons in group 195 to be just blank icons. (Had to save it as a
different dll, reboot into safe mode w/command prompt, rename them, reboot, etc., etc.) It came up fine, and when I
unplugged my network cable, the icon went to a blank icon (still there, just like a transparent placeholder), but the "a
network cable is unplugged" message popped up, even though I have Notify Me. . . unchecked in network properties. I'm
sure there's a Registry entry somewhere for that message, but I haven't looked for it. Maybe later- I have to go out for
while now.
--
SC Tom

David E. Ross

      24th Feb 2012
On 2/22/12 7:30 PM, XP Guy wrote:
> "David E. Ross" wrote:
>
>> My configuration has two PCs (...)

> David, please tell me what is supposed to happen when this setting is
> NOT enabled:
>
> - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

I generally have the checkbox checked. I unchecked it and disabled my
connection. The icon disappeared just as it does when the checkbox is
checked.

Note that I have not tried physically disconnecting my PC from the
router or physically disconnecting the router from the cable modem. All
disabiling has been via software.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., the government)
snooping into your E-mail? Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>

XP Guy

      24th Feb 2012
"David E. Ross" wrote:

> > David, please tell me what is supposed to happen when this setting
> > is NOT enabled:
> >
> > - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

> I unchecked it and disabled my connection.

What do you mean - "disabled my connection".

> Note that I have not tried physically disconnecting my PC from the
> router

(slaps forehead)

What exactly do you think is the more typical use-case?

Someone "disabling" their connection, or

Someone unplugging their connection?

David E. Ross

      24th Feb 2012
On 2/23/12 6:01 PM, XP Guy wrote:
> "David E. Ross" wrote:
>
>>> David, please tell me what is supposed to happen when this setting
>>> is NOT enabled:
>>>
>>> - Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity

>> I unchecked it and disabled my connection.

> What do you mean - "disabled my connection".
>
>> Note that I have not tried physically disconnecting my PC from the
>> router

> (slaps forehead)
>
> What exactly do you think is the more typical use-case?
>
> Someone "disabling" their connection, or
>
> Someone unplugging their connection?

To disable my connection, I can either right-click on the icon in the
Windows tray and select Disable from the pull-down context menu or else
I can go to [Start > Settings > Network Connections], right-click on
Local Area Connection, and select Disable from the pull-down context menu.

To physically disconnect, I can either get down on my knees and pull my
PC tower out of its cubby in my computer desk (carefully since some of
the cables are rather short) and disconnect the cable to my router or
else do a do-se-do with my printer so that I can open the door to the
attic storage space behind it and disconnect the cable at the router.
(Both the router and cable modem are in the attic.) Both are a real
bother, and I never physically disconnect unless I am having a hardware
problem. I think the last time I physically disconnected was last
summer, when my router failed and I had to install a new router.

I frequently disable the connection (software disconnect) for various
reasons:

* For new software versions, I download the installer file and then
disconnect so that, while I log the installation, no extraneous Internet
activity appears in the log.

* Some Web sites have very large files that are compressed. A bug in
my browser fails to accept all the Internet packets and decompress them.
This is a timing-related problem that seems to occur only while having
a broadband connection. I disable my connection to my router and use a
dial-up modem to get such Web pages. (My dial-up and broadband services
are through two different ISPs.)

* When I cannot access a Web page at all but <http://www.isup.me/>
says the Web site is not down, I again resort to a dial-up connection,
which requires first disabling my broadband connection.