Want to calculate square footage of shapes in excel

=?Utf-8?B?TXVkZGxlZA==?=

      9th Jul 2007
In the drawings section, I am wondering how to calculate the square footage
of shapes I put together to mock up countertop drawings. Ideally I want to
set it up so my drawings are 1/4" to the foot scale. Can anyone help on this?
--
DG

=?Utf-8?B?SkxhdGhhbQ==?=

      9th Jul 2007
You're going to do this in Excel? Be warned that scaling in Excel gets
'corrupted' when it is printed out. A better tool for this would be Visio if
you have it available.

Basically, in Excel, you'd put rectangle shapes on your worksheet and use
their properties to set their height/width (and rotation?) while at the same
time setting up formulas to calculate the square footage. Since I'd assume
you already have the actual dimensions available, and you're using 1/4" = 1
foot. To calculate the size of the rectangles, I'd set up a little table
like this:

A B C D
1 Feet Inches Total in.
Scale
2 Depth 2 6 =B2+(C2/12) =D2*0.25
3 Width 6 3 =B3+(C3/12) =D3*0.25

Column E will give you the dimensions for your drawing element. By putting
the feet and inches into 2 columns, you don't have to do that part of the
math in your head.

"Muddled" wrote:

> In the drawings section, I am wondering how to calculate the square footage
> of shapes I put together to mock up countertop drawings. Ideally I want to
> set it up so my drawings are 1/4" to the foot scale. Can anyone help on this?
> --
> DG

=?Utf-8?B?SkxhdGhhbQ==?=

      9th Jul 2007
Oh, for the square footage - you could put this in F3:
=D2*D3
and if you want to convert from the scaled dimensions it would look like this:
=(E2*4)*(E3*4)