VueScan: Heidelberg Linoscan 1450 does not work

Michael

      30th Mar 2005
Hi,

After having purchased a Heidelberg Linoscan 1450 (Firewire) and
downloading Vuescan (which should support this device) I cannot seem
to get this to work. When starting Vuescan I get an error "No Scanner
was found attached to your computer". I am running WinXP SP1 and
Vuescan 8.1.43. It seems as though WinXP recognizes the device as
Device Manager shows an imaging device labled "HDM LS4G1F". I have
also tried to install a demo version of SilverFast Ai where the
scanner works without any problems (but at a higher price tag).

Any thoughts ? - you comments and knowledge would be greatly
appreciated.

-Michael

bob.911@btinternet.com

      30th Mar 2005
Michael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After having purchased a Heidelberg Linoscan 1450 (Firewire) and
> downloading Vuescan (which should support this device) I cannot seem
> to get this to work. When starting Vuescan I get an error "No Scanner
> was found attached to your computer". I am running WinXP SP1 and
> Vuescan 8.1.43. It seems as though WinXP recognizes the device as
> Device Manager shows an imaging device labled "HDM LS4G1F". I have
> also tried to install a demo version of SilverFast Ai where the
> scanner works without any problems (but at a higher price tag).
>
> Any thoughts ? - you comments and knowledge would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> -Michael

Michael, try powering on the scanner before starting VueScan.

HTH

Bob

Michael

      30th Mar 2005
> Michael, try powering on the scanner before starting VueScan.

That has been one of many variations ;o) Only way I seem to be able to
get VueScan to recognize the device is by starting a second instance
of VueScan and switching on the scanner between the to sessions - but
when trying to preview/scan VueScan comes back with "scanner not
ready".

pawelb

      31st Mar 2005
Hi,
Did you install the software that came with your scanner? I had a
similar problem with my Minolta DSE 5400. After connecting the scanner
to a computer VueScan wouldn't work until I installed Minolta software -
then VueScan started recognizing the scanner.

Pawel

Michael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After having purchased a Heidelberg Linoscan 1450 (Firewire) and
> downloading Vuescan (which should support this device) I cannot seem
> to get this to work. When starting Vuescan I get an error "No Scanner
> was found attached to your computer". I am running WinXP SP1 and
> Vuescan 8.1.43. It seems as though WinXP recognizes the device as
> Device Manager shows an imaging device labled "HDM LS4G1F". I have
> also tried to install a demo version of SilverFast Ai where the
> scanner works without any problems (but at a higher price tag).
>
> Any thoughts ? - you comments and knowledge would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> -Michael

AAvK

      1st Apr 2005

> Hi,
>
> After having purchased a Heidelberg Linoscan 1450 (Firewire) and
> downloading Vuescan (which should support this device) I cannot seem
> to get this to work. When starting Vuescan I get an error "No Scanner
> was found attached to your computer". I am running WinXP SP1 and
> Vuescan 8.1.43. It seems as though WinXP recognizes the device as
> Device Manager shows an imaging device labled "HDM LS4G1F". I have
> also tried to install a demo version of SilverFast Ai where the
> scanner works without any problems (but at a higher price tag).
>
> Any thoughts ? - you comments and knowledge would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> -Michael

Might be, if using windows, you turned the scanner on after turning on
the computer?

Vuescan not running, scanner on, follow:

Right click on "My computer,
click on "Properties",
click the "Hardware" tab,
click the "Device manager" button, window pops open,
right click on the top item in there and
click "Scan for hardware changes",
then your scanner (if powered on) will show,
it is a hardware refresher. After that
start a new Vuescan and it should show.

Maybe this only works for SCSI, don't know. Try it.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Michael

      3rd Apr 2005
Hi Pawel,

This could be the issue but as I bought this scanner pre-used I do not
have the original windows software (which btw as far as I have been
able to find on news groups/etc would not work on XP).

-Michael

pawelb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<d2hubm$b4u$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi,
> Did you install the software that came with your scanner? I had a
> similar problem with my Minolta DSE 5400. After connecting the scanner
> to a computer VueScan wouldn't work until I installed Minolta software -
> then VueScan started recognizing the scanner.
>
> Pawel
>

> Michael wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After having purchased a Heidelberg Linoscan 1450 (Firewire) and
> > downloading Vuescan (which should support this device) I cannot seem
> > to get this to work. When starting Vuescan I get an error "No Scanner
> > was found attached to your computer". I am running WinXP SP1 and
> > Vuescan 8.1.43. It seems as though WinXP recognizes the device as
> > Device Manager shows an imaging device labled "HDM LS4G1F". I have
> > also tried to install a demo version of SilverFast Ai where the
> > scanner works without any problems (but at a higher price tag).
> >
> > Any thoughts ? - you comments and knowledge would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > -Michael

Michael

      3rd Apr 2005
Hi Alex,

Looks like XP have found the device and that the driver installed is
working properly so this should be ok so it is really strange.

-Michael