VPN vs File Sharing, XP Pro, SP3

wejones

      27th Aug 2009
I have a home network behind a router with cable internet. I am working with
a group of folks and the file sizes we need to exchange exceed the file sizes
on free web file sites.

I have done portforwarding and have dyndns domain to handle ip changes with
my router configured to update my dyndns domain if my ip changes.

I have been lookng into ultraVNC and a few other flavors of VNC, simple file
sharing and SShell to just set up a local volume inside of my router for us
to have a filespace. I have been looking into various newsgroups, doing
searches on MS, and I've read a bunch of summaries and guides on info I
already know on how to set up filesharing and permissions: however, I have
not got a clear picture on the best direction to take.

Seems from what I've read that I my best course for just pushing files back
and forth is just to use simple file sharing on a drive I have available and
restrict the users on that drive.

Now for some maybe obvious questions:
Can I create a workgroup for the others to join that would just be able to
access the common drive on my PC?
Would I need to use SSH to have the data connection encrypted or secure?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

      28th Aug 2009
Hi
Ultra VNC have a build in strong AES encryption thus it can be used safely
as is, No need for VPN or SSH.
In addition it has a File Transfer module which makes it very easy to
transfer files back and forth over the remote connection.
Maybe this can further Help.
http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"wejones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a home network behind a router with cable internet. I am working
>with
> a group of folks and the file sizes we need to exchange exceed the file
> sizes
> on free web file sites.
>
> I have done portforwarding and have dyndns domain to handle ip changes
> with
> my router configured to update my dyndns domain if my ip changes.
>
> I have been lookng into ultraVNC and a few other flavors of VNC, simple
> file
> sharing and SShell to just set up a local volume inside of my router for
> us
> to have a filespace. I have been looking into various newsgroups, doing
> searches on MS, and I've read a bunch of summaries and guides on info I
> already know on how to set up filesharing and permissions: however, I have
> not got a clear picture on the best direction to take.
>
> Seems from what I've read that I my best course for just pushing files
> back
> and forth is just to use simple file sharing on a drive I have available
> and
> restrict the users on that drive.
>
> Now for some maybe obvious questions:
> Can I create a workgroup for the others to join that would just be able to
> access the common drive on my PC?
> Would I need to use SSH to have the data connection encrypted or secure?

Anteaus

      29th Aug 2009

VNC's file transfer is really for remote admin work, it allows no
restrictions on what can be transferred. Hence not very suitable unless you
explicitly trust other users.

For your purposes you could look at FileZilla client/server. This provides
secure (TLS) FTP, and allows full control over access.

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> Ultra VNC have a build in strong AES encryption thus it can be used safely
> as is, No need for VPN or SSH.
> In addition it has a File Transfer module which makes it very easy to
> transfer files back and forth over the remote connection.
> Maybe this can further Help.
> http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
> http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "wejones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a home network behind a router with cable internet. I am working
> >with
> > a group of folks and the file sizes we need to exchange exceed the file
> > sizes
> > on free web file sites.
> >
> > I have done portforwarding and have dyndns domain to handle ip changes
> > with
> > my router configured to update my dyndns domain if my ip changes.
> >
> > I have been lookng into ultraVNC and a few other flavors of VNC, simple
> > file
> > sharing and SShell to just set up a local volume inside of my router for
> > us
> > to have a filespace. I have been looking into various newsgroups, doing
> > searches on MS, and I've read a bunch of summaries and guides on info I
> > already know on how to set up filesharing and permissions: however, I have
> > not got a clear picture on the best direction to take.
> >
> > Seems from what I've read that I my best course for just pushing files
> > back
> > and forth is just to use simple file sharing on a drive I have available
> > and
> > restrict the users on that drive.
> >
> > Now for some maybe obvious questions:
> > Can I create a workgroup for the others to join that would just be able to
> > access the common drive on my PC?
> > Would I need to use SSH to have the data connection encrypted or secure?

wejones

      3rd Sep 2009
I have UltraVNC working and did not want to give folks that level of access.

I have not got Filezilla to communicate outside of my router NAT yet. Don't
know why as I have several test VNC servers going and SSH.

I have Gbridge working, but it doesn't allow a push from outside, you have
to have open Gbridge shares on both computers to pass files back and forth.
That is you have to go get a file instead of someone pushing one up to you.