VPN Server does not allow multple VPN connection

Jan

      29th Jan 2010
Environment
---------------
Windows XP Pro SP3
Set up a VPN Server using the Windows XP built-in VPN Server software

VPN Client
------------
Windows XP Home, Windows Vista
Use the built-in VPN Client

Issue
------
Using a PC, connect to the VPN Server and network - OK. With the first VPN
still active, use a separate PC and a different user account to make a VPN
connection. I have got this error message:
"Error 937 Because another connection of your type is in use, the incoming
connection cannot accept your connection required."

If I log off the active connection, I can make the connection from the
second PC. With this connection active, I try to log on from the first PC.,
the same error message appears.

It appears the Microsoft VPN Server cannot serve more than 1 VPN client. Is
there a way to increase the number of concurrent VPN connections using
Microsoft VPN Server software?

Thanks.

Bernd

      29th Jan 2010

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Environment
> ---------------
> Windows XP Pro SP3
> Set up a VPN Server using the Windows XP built-in VPN Server software
>
> VPN Client
> ------------
> Windows XP Home, Windows Vista
> Use the built-in VPN Client
>
> Issue
> ------
> Using a PC, connect to the VPN Server and network - OK. With the first VPN
> still active, use a separate PC and a different user account to make a VPN
> connection. I have got this error message:
> "Error 937 Because another connection of your type is in use, the incoming
> connection cannot accept your connection required."
>
> If I log off the active connection, I can make the connection from the
> second PC. With this connection active, I try to log on from the first PC.,
> the same error message appears.
>
> It appears the Microsoft VPN Server cannot serve more than 1 VPN client. Is
> there a way to increase the number of concurrent VPN connections using
> Microsoft VPN Server software?
>
> Thanks.

AFAIK not possible on XP. You'll need Server 2003.

Bernd

smlunatick

      2nd Feb 2010
On Jan 29, 6:42*am, Jan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Environment
> ---------------
> Windows XP Pro SP3
> Set up a VPN Server using the Windows XP built-in VPN Server software
>
> VPN Client
> ------------
> Windows XP Home, Windows Vista
> Use the built-in VPN Client
>
> Issue
> ------
> Using a PC, connect to the VPN Server and network - OK. *With the firstVPN
> still active, use a separate PC and a different user account to make a VPN
> connection. *I have got this error message:
> "Error 937 Because another connection of your type is in use, the incoming
> connection cannot accept your connection required."
>
> If I log off the active connection, I can make the connection from the
> second PC. *With this connection active, I try to log on from the firstPC.,
> the same error message appears.
>
> It appears the Microsoft VPN Server cannot serve more than 1 VPN client. *Is
> there a way to increase the number of concurrent VPN connections using
> Microsoft VPN Server software?
>
> Thanks.

Windows XP by design is a "single" user version of Windows. You need
to completely re-think your VPN "server" configuration so as to use a
"true" server or a VPN end-point enabled router.

JHPArizona

      10th Feb 2010

"Jan" wrote:

> Environment
> ---------------
> Windows XP Pro SP3
> Set up a VPN Server using the Windows XP built-in VPN Server software
>
> VPN Client
> ------------
> Windows XP Home, Windows Vista
> Use the built-in VPN Client
>
> Issue
> ------
> Using a PC, connect to the VPN Server and network - OK. With the first VPN
> still active, use a separate PC and a different user account to make a VPN
> connection. I have got this error message:
> "Error 937 Because another connection of your type is in use, the incoming
> connection cannot accept your connection required."
>
> If I log off the active connection, I can make the connection from the
> second PC. With this connection active, I try to log on from the first PC.,
> the same error message appears.
>
> It appears the Microsoft VPN Server cannot serve more than 1 VPN client. Is
> there a way to increase the number of concurrent VPN connections using
> Microsoft VPN Server software?
>
> Thanks.

No, you can not via the VPN server software. However, this link may provide
you with a solution. It is designed for RDC but .... side affect may be an
increase in VPN connections.

JHPArizona

      10th Feb 2010

"JHPArizona" wrote:

> "Jan" wrote:
>
> > Environment
> > ---------------
> > Windows XP Pro SP3
> > Set up a VPN Server using the Windows XP built-in VPN Server software
> >
> > VPN Client
> > ------------
> > Windows XP Home, Windows Vista
> > Use the built-in VPN Client
> >
> > Issue
> > ------
> > Using a PC, connect to the VPN Server and network - OK. With the first VPN
> > still active, use a separate PC and a different user account to make a VPN
> > connection. I have got this error message:
> > "Error 937 Because another connection of your type is in use, the incoming
> > connection cannot accept your connection required."
> >
> > If I log off the active connection, I can make the connection from the
> > second PC. With this connection active, I try to log on from the first PC.,
> > the same error message appears.
> >
> > It appears the Microsoft VPN Server cannot serve more than 1 VPN client. Is
> > there a way to increase the number of concurrent VPN connections using
> > Microsoft VPN Server software?
> >
> > Thanks.

> No, you can not via the VPN server software. However, this link may provide
> you with a solution. It is designed for RDC but .... side affect may be an
> increase in VPN connections.

Helps if I add the link
ttp://softbeam.org/hobby/?p=1053