Vlookup vs Sumif

Steph

      31st Jul 2006
Hi everyone. Is there a big difference in the efficiency of Vlookup and
Sumif? I have a sheet with about 12,000 formulae. Currently I am using
Vlookup. If I switched to Sumif, would it be slower or faster? Thank you!

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbFI=?=

      31st Jul 2006
Well they are two quite different formulas

VLOOKUP is for looking up data from a different column when a match is
found in a vertical list

SUMIF is for summing values based on a condition

--
Kind Regards,
Will Riley

"Steph" wrote:

> Hi everyone. Is there a big difference in the efficiency of Vlookup and
> Sumif? I have a sheet with about 12,000 formulae. Currently I am using
> Vlookup. If I switched to Sumif, would it be slower or faster? Thank you!

Bob Phillips

      31st Jul 2006
It would be different! VLOOKUP returns a value in a table for an offset from
a particular value, SUMIF adds a range where the same or an other range
equals a value, It's apples and pears.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Steph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone. Is there a big difference in the efficiency of Vlookup and
> Sumif? I have a sheet with about 12,000 formulae. Currently I am using
> Vlookup. If I switched to Sumif, would it be slower or faster? Thank

you!

Steph

      31st Jul 2006
Right, but if I'm returning a value either way, the Sumif returns the same
value. It simply adds one record, essentially returning the one and only
record it finds.

"Bob Phillips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> It would be different! VLOOKUP returns a value in a table for an offset
> from
> a particular value, SUMIF adds a range where the same or an other range
> equals a value, It's apples and pears.
>
> --
> HTH
>
> Bob Phillips
>
> (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
>
> "Steph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi everyone. Is there a big difference in the efficiency of Vlookup and
>> Sumif? I have a sheet with about 12,000 formulae. Currently I am using
>> Vlookup. If I switched to Sumif, would it be slower or faster? Thank

> you!

=?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBSaWxleQ==?=

      31st Jul 2006
If it's only one value you are looking to return.. it begs the question why
you are
using SUMIF at all
--
Kind Regards,