Vista/XP Dual Boot - Keep Vista Restore Pts w/o Boot Mngt Program

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmx5ZQ==?=

      30th May 2007
I have a dual boot of XP Home & Vista Business on a 80G HD and hide the Vista
partition from XP using PartitionMagic. I have swapped booting between both
OS's 4-5 times each (hiding the Vista partition before booting to XP) and XP
hasn't deleted the Vista restore points.

Several of my programs that I have written for work need to run on Vista, so
I am testing them.

Anyway, hiding the Vista partition from XP is pretty simple for me. I have
a bootable thumb drive with PartitionMagic on it and I just insert it while
I'm in Vista, reboot my PC, and use PartitionMagic to hide the partition. So
far, so good...

I know that Microsoft wants everyone to go to Vista, but alot of us need to
exist in both worlds during some sort of transition period. It's interesting
that Vista's help warns you that dual-booting with an earlier version of
windows deletes the Vista restore points. They knew about it and released
Vista without a fix anyway...

--
Charlye

Rock

      30th May 2007
"Charlye" wrote
>I have a dual boot of XP Home & Vista Business on a 80G HD and hide the
>Vista
> partition from XP using PartitionMagic. I have swapped booting between
> both
> OS's 4-5 times each (hiding the Vista partition before booting to XP) and
> XP
> hasn't deleted the Vista restore points.
>
> Several of my programs that I have written for work need to run on Vista,
> so
> I am testing them.
>
> Anyway, hiding the Vista partition from XP is pretty simple for me. I
> have
> a bootable thumb drive with PartitionMagic on it and I just insert it
> while
> I'm in Vista, reboot my PC, and use PartitionMagic to hide the partition.
> So
> far, so good...
>
> I know that Microsoft wants everyone to go to Vista, but alot of us need
> exist in both worlds during some sort of transition period. It's
> interesting
> that Vista's help warns you that dual-booting with an earlier version of
> windows deletes the Vista restore points. They knew about it and released
> Vista without a fix anyway...

MS doesn't see it as a problem. They see dual booters as a small minority
of users. The change has to come to XP. It's XP's volsnap.sys that deletes
the Vista restore points. It isn't likely they will change XP because the
change is considerable.

You can give yourself a measure of protection by using a drive imaging
program to regularly image the system to an external hard drive.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmx5ZQ==?=

      30th May 2007
Thanks for the advice. I use Ghost to image my system weekly or before
making a questionable change and copy them to another computer on my
network...
--
Charlye

"Rock" wrote:

> "Charlye" wrote
> >I have a dual boot of XP Home & Vista Business on a 80G HD and hide the
> >Vista
> > partition from XP using PartitionMagic. I have swapped booting between
> > both
> > OS's 4-5 times each (hiding the Vista partition before booting to XP) and
> > XP
> > hasn't deleted the Vista restore points.
> >
> > Several of my programs that I have written for work need to run on Vista,
> > so
> > I am testing them.
> >
> > Anyway, hiding the Vista partition from XP is pretty simple for me. I
> > have
> > a bootable thumb drive with PartitionMagic on it and I just insert it
> > while
> > I'm in Vista, reboot my PC, and use PartitionMagic to hide the partition.
> > So
> > far, so good...
> >
> > I know that Microsoft wants everyone to go to Vista, but alot of us need
> > exist in both worlds during some sort of transition period. It's
> > interesting
> > that Vista's help warns you that dual-booting with an earlier version of
> > windows deletes the Vista restore points. They knew about it and released
> > Vista without a fix anyway...

> MS doesn't see it as a problem. They see dual booters as a small minority
> of users. The change has to come to XP. It's XP's volsnap.sys that deletes
> the Vista restore points. It isn't likely they will change XP because the
> change is considerable.
>
> You can give yourself a measure of protection by using a drive imaging
> program to regularly image the system to an external hard drive.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

mikeyhsd

      30th May 2007
would it be possible to run VPC2007 and install xp as a virtual os.
would allow you eliminate the dual boot.

(E-Mail Removed)