Vista Won't Restart

Powell

      27th Feb 2008
Good Evening Gang:
Got a weird problem with the restart function in Vista. The only time Vista
will restart without me having to shut it down and do a cold boot is when I
have to restart after an update from Microsoft. At any other time, whether I
click restart from the shutdown window, whether it's a restart after
downloading an update from another application or whether it's a restart
after loading in a program disk all I get is a blank screen and I have power
down and do a cold reboot. It's not a major problem, but one that I would
like to resolve. Any suggestions?
Many thanks in advance.
Powell
--
PBL

Mick Murphy

      27th Feb 2008
Right-click on the Taskbar and bring up Task Manager to see what is running
at shutdown,
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Powell" wrote:

> Good Evening Gang:
> Got a weird problem with the restart function in Vista. The only time Vista
> will restart without me having to shut it down and do a cold boot is when I
> have to restart after an update from Microsoft. At any other time, whether I
> click restart from the shutdown window, whether it's a restart after
> downloading an update from another application or whether it's a restart
> after loading in a program disk all I get is a blank screen and I have power
> down and do a cold reboot. It's not a major problem, but one that I would
> like to resolve. Any suggestions?
> Many thanks in advance.
> Powell
> --
> PBL

Powell

      27th Feb 2008
Goodday Mick:
Thanks for your response. Acording to the Task Manager there was nothing
running at shutdown. Of course, that's with the exception of my anti virus
and anti spyware applications, but these two items were operating long before
this little problem cropped up. To add some further information: This morning
I finally downloaded a Vista update that I had been holding for about a week
until I saw if there was any negative feedback (non-defender update of
course). The update required a restart which I activated from the restart
button on the update window. The system shutdown and restarted as it should.
After running my weekly system check and cleanup I followed your suggestion
and attempted a restart from the 'start' button and again it failed to do so.
Once more it required a cold boot. Just for your further information, this
blip started about two months ago but was only an occasional event. Sometimes
it would restart and sometimes not. It has now progressed to the situation I
have described. It is not a big deal (my finger won't wear out) but I am
always leery of these manual on/off switches ever since I had to replace one
on a previous computer.
If this gives you any more clues as to the source of the glitch, please send
me through some additional suggestions and if anyone else out there has some
ideas I'd be most grateful to receive them. Once again, many thanks for the
tip.
Best regards
Powell
--
PBL

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Right-click on the Taskbar and bring up Task Manager to see what is running
> at shutdown,
> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "Powell" wrote:
>
> > Good Evening Gang:
> > Got a weird problem with the restart function in Vista. The only time Vista
> > will restart without me having to shut it down and do a cold boot is when I
> > have to restart after an update from Microsoft. At any other time, whether I
> > click restart from the shutdown window, whether it's a restart after
> > downloading an update from another application or whether it's a restart
> > after loading in a program disk all I get is a blank screen and I have power
> > down and do a cold reboot. It's not a major problem, but one that I would
> > like to resolve. Any suggestions?
> > Many thanks in advance.
> > Powell
> > --
> > PBL

Mark L. Ferguson

      28th Feb 2008
This article talks about an issue with a lot of side effects like yours.
The hybrid sleep feature and the hibernation feature in Windows Vista may
become unavailable after you use the Disk Cleanup Tool :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928897

--
Was this helpful? Then click the "Yes" Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.

Mark L. Ferguson

..
"Powell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> at shutdown,
>> --
>> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>>

>> "Powell" wrote:
>>
>> > Good Evening Gang:
>> > Got a weird problem with the restart function in Vista. The only time
>> > Vista
>> > will restart without me having to shut it down and do a cold boot is
>> > when I
>> > have to restart after an update from Microsoft. At any other time,
>> > whether I
>> > click restart from the shutdown window, whether it's a restart after
>> > downloading an update from another application or whether it's a
>> > restart
>> > after loading in a program disk all I get is a blank screen and I have
>> > power
>> > down and do a cold reboot. It's not a major problem, but one that I

Powell

      28th Feb 2008
Thanks Mark. The problem is solved. Where do you guys come up with some of
this arcane information? It truly amazes me! Once again many thanks and the
same to any of you other good people who tried to find a solution.
Powell
--
PBL