Vista Upgrade path

Michael D

      26th Oct 2006
I just got an email from NewEgg about buying XP today with a upgrade path to
Vista . They have a flowchart which goes:

XP Pro -> Vista Business Free + (est S&H $20)
XP Media Center -> Vista Premium Free + (est S&H $20)
But XP home -> Premium $79 + (est S&H $20)
But XP home -> Basic $ 49 + (est S&H $20)
http://promotions.newegg.com/Microso...&ATT=TechGuarn

William

      27th Oct 2006
Looks like they are discouraging the acquisition of XP Home Edition.

William

Michael D wrote:
> I just got an email from NewEgg about buying XP today with a upgrade path to
> Vista . They have a flowchart which goes:
>
> XP Pro -> Vista Business Free + (est S&H $20)
> XP Media Center -> Vista Premium Free + (est S&H $20)
> But XP home -> Premium $79 + (est S&H $20)
> But XP home -> Basic $ 49 + (est S&H $20)
> http://promotions.newegg.com/Microso...&ATT=TechGuarn

=?Utf-8?B?R2VuZSBGaXR6?=

      27th Oct 2006
Well, in the grander scheem of things, $ 90 vs $110. MCE seems to be a better
deal anyhow...

"William" wrote:

> Looks like they are discouraging the acquisition of XP Home Edition.
>
> William
>
> Michael D wrote:
> > I just got an email from NewEgg about buying XP today with a upgrade path to
> > Vista . They have a flowchart which goes:
> >
> > XP Pro -> Vista Business Free + (est S&H $20)
> > XP Media Center -> Vista Premium Free + (est S&H $20)
> > But XP home -> Premium $79 + (est S&H $20)
> > But XP home -> Basic $ 49 + (est S&H $20)
> > http://promotions.newegg.com/Microso...&ATT=TechGuarn

Barry Watzman

      27th Oct 2006
Today was the beginning of the upgrade "Technology Guarantee" program.
As of today, if you buy any copy of Windows XP, OR a new computer with
XP preloaded (legitimately), you MAY be eligible for a reduced price or
free copy of Vista by mail when it ships next year. However, the
details are up to the seller, which may offer this or not, and set the
terms of the offer (including the cost of the upgrade, in cases where
it's not free).

Michael D wrote:

> I just got an email from NewEgg about buying XP today with a upgrade path to
> Vista . They have a flowchart which goes:
>
> XP Pro -> Vista Business Free + (est S&H $20)
> XP Media Center -> Vista Premium Free + (est S&H $20)
> But XP home -> Premium $79 + (est S&H $20)
> But XP home -> Basic $ 49 + (est S&H $20)
> http://promotions.newegg.com/Microso...&ATT=TechGuarn

Barry Watzman

      27th Oct 2006
Well, considering how much more you get, it's absurd to buy home edition
when you can buy XP MCE for $20 more. Whether you need/want the media
stuff or not, MCE is essentially "Pro" and has essentially all of the
"Pro" features except for domain networking. This includes Remote
Desktop and full ntfs. If you don't want the media stuff, just set the
default bootup user interface to be the standard XP Pro Windows desktop
(it's amazing to me how many people, buying a new computer with MCE,
remove it and install XP Pro because they didn't realize that MCE has
the XP Pro desktop, and that with just a mouse click it can be made the
bootup default and they will never even see Media Center).

William wrote:

> Looks like they are discouraging the acquisition of XP Home Edition.
>
> William
>
> Michael D wrote:
>
>> I just got an email from NewEgg about buying XP today with a upgrade
>> path to Vista . They have a flowchart which goes:
>>
>> XP Pro -> Vista Business Free + (est S&H $20)
>> XP Media Center -> Vista Premium Free + (est S&H $20)
>> But XP home -> Premium $79 + (est S&H $20)
>> But XP home -> Basic $ 49 + (est S&H $20)
>> http://promotions.newegg.com/Microso...&ATT=TechGuarn

Jim

      27th Oct 2006
I was at Dell's site last night and they are offering the vista upgrade for
free, but you have to pay $10 for shipping.