PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Is Vista updates recommandable before upgrading to Windows 7?

 
 
MAT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Nov 2009
Is Windows Vista updates recommandable before upgrading to Windows 7?

Should I just upgrade directly from Windows Vista in the original edition
(after a recovery) and without all the other updates to Windows 7 (saving a
lot of time), or is it better to do all Vista updates before upgrading to
Windows 7?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ken Blake, MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Nov 2009
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:22:03 +0100, "MAT" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Is Windows Vista updates recommandable before upgrading to Windows 7?
>
> Should I just upgrade directly from Windows Vista in the original edition
> (after a recovery) and without all the other updates to Windows 7 (saving a
> lot of time), or is it better to do all Vista updates before upgrading to
> Windows 7?



Neither is really better, but there's no particular advantage to doing
the updates first. I would upgrade without doing so.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard G. Harper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Nov 2009
No need to do the updates since Windows 7 will be replacing Vista entirely.

"MAT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is Windows Vista updates recommandable before upgrading to Windows 7?
>
> Should I just upgrade directly from Windows Vista in the original edition
> (after a recovery) and without all the other updates to Windows 7 (saving
> a lot of time), or is it better to do all Vista updates before upgrading
> to Windows 7?


 
Reply With Quote
 
MAT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Nov 2009
Thanks!
Using a laptop with pre-installed Windows Vista and upgrading to Windows 7.
Next time a complete recovery is necessary I'll save a lot of time going
directly from recovery to Windows 7 upgrade, Besides I plan to make an
image backup. Know it's not the right palce to ask, however many is
upgrading these days needing a complete backup before upgrade to Windows 7.
Any pro/cons Norton Ghost 15.0 http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost versus
Acronis 2010 http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/ ?


"dinesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelelsen
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> So I guess you would be doing an upgrade install? You could just
> uninstall your antivirus/firewall protection to let the update process
> go smooth.
>
>
> --
> dinesh
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
MAT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Nov 2009

Thanks!
Using a laptop with pre-installed Windows Vista and upgrading to Windows 7.
Next time a complete recovery is necessary I'll save a lot of time going
directly from recovery to Windows 7 upgrade, Besides I plan to make an
image backup. Know it's not the right palce to ask, however many is
upgrading these days needing a complete backup before upgrade to Windows 7.
Any pro/cons Norton Ghost 15.0 http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost versus
Acronis 2010 http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/ ?
>
> So I guess you would be doing an upgrade install? You could just
> uninstall your antivirus/firewall protection to let the update process
> go smooth.
>
> dinesh

 
Reply With Quote
 
f/fgeorge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Nov 2009
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:25:43 +0100, "MAT" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>Thanks!
>Using a laptop with pre-installed Windows Vista and upgrading to Windows 7.
>Next time a complete recovery is necessary I'll save a lot of time going
>directly from recovery to Windows 7 upgrade, Besides I plan to make an
>image backup. Know it's not the right palce to ask, however many is
>upgrading these days needing a complete backup before upgrade to Windows 7.
>Any pro/cons Norton Ghost 15.0 http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost versus
>Acronis 2010 http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/ ?
>>

I have a friend that LOVES Norton Ghost, I have never personally been
able to make it do what I want it to do. Acronis however works
perfectly for me! I had a laptop I was working on with a bad hard
drive, I made an image and after putting in the new drive, booting
from the boot disk Acronis made it restored the image to the new drive
and everything was perfect!! I highly recommend it!!!
 
Reply With Quote
 
MAT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Nov 2009
>>Using a laptop with pre-installed Windows Vista and upgrading to Windows
>>7.
>>Next time a complete recovery is necessary I'll save a lot of time going
>>directly from recovery to Windows 7 upgrade, Besides I plan to make an
>>image backup. Know it's not the right place to ask, however many is
>>upgrading these days needing a complete backup before upgrade to Windows
>>7.
>>Any pro/cons Norton Ghost 15.0 http://www.symantec.com/norton/ghost versus
>>Acronis 2010 http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/ ?
>>>

> I have a friend that LOVES Norton Ghost, I have never personally been
> able to make it do what I want it to do. Acronis however works
> perfectly for me! I had a laptop I was working on with a bad hard
> drive, I made an image and after putting in the new drive, booting
> from the boot disk Acronis made it restored the image to the new drive
> and everything was perfect!! I highly recommend it!!!


Because of your recommandation I downloaded Acronis 2010 30 days free trial.
Unfortunately I ran into problems with hanging windows and programs and had
to re-boot and use safe mode in order to go again. The problems disappeared
after uninstallation and when Acronis 2010 was reinstalled the problems went
back. So unfortunately I can't use it...
Others have reported problems with Acronis 2010, please see selected
comments below:

'I have installed Acronis 2010 Home on Vista 64. It hangs the recycle bin
when right clicked. Also explorer hangs and then crashes. when accessed. I
have uninstalled the program, and everything is fine again. When i reinstall
the program, it starts hanging and crashing again. I have unistalled it a
second time. I have run windows Live and everything is fine and up to date'

'Acronis True Image Home works well (been using it since ver 9, now using
2009 - works with Win 7) as long as you stick with the basics and forget the
bells and whistles they keep adding on. Don't use the Secure Zone (no need
to nowadays) and don't activate the Startup Recovery Manager. The Try &
Decide feature can cause problems and there are other ways to do this very
easily.
I use the bootable Rescue CD to make all Backup Images and do all Recovery
functions.
Their official forum is a wealth of information provided by other forum
members - the replies from the official support people are usually canned
and often useless.'

'Just downloaded to try Acronis 2010 and after installing this software it
asked for reboot and my system never comes up.. Even in Safe mode it hangs
at mup.sys ,, what kind of recovery software is this? I will never come back
to this site.. I posted so that others wont bite their fingers.. who gave
award to this software ?'

'have a similar problem. the 2009 works perfect. but when i load the 2010
upgrade, the system starts to load then reboots. this goes into a loop and
does not stop. i even loaded a clean install of xp. loaded ti 2009 and
updated to 2010. same thing. i have tried everything i know. been working on
computers for 25 years and ever once in a while run into problems. guess i
will keep the 2009...works perfect, unless someone else has the same issue.
if there is a fix, please share.
thanks'

'True Image Home 2010 hangs on backup. After I've checked the partiction to
be stored, I have to proceed and specify the file. When I click Next, the
program hangs forever (see attached). Running it under Vista Pro. Any ideas?
I simply can't use it...'

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Vista SP1 and other Vista updates necessary before upgrading to Windows 7? MAT Windows Vista Installation 5 18th Nov 2009 06:25 PM
Installation of Office 2007 before or after upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista MAT Windows Vista File Management 2 17th Nov 2009 08:52 PM
I am upgrading everything & upgrading to vista! =?Utf-8?B?Um9ieW4=?= Windows Vista General Discussion 15 5th Mar 2007 06:59 AM
Kill IIS before upgrading!!!! (or "How I managed to upgrade XP to Vista on an Acer laptop") Jon Davis Windows Vista General Discussion 0 20th Nov 2006 04:27 PM
"downgrading" from Windows 2000 Professional before upgrading to Windows XP Home =?Utf-8?B?YnVsbGJvYg==?= Windows XP General 6 1st Jun 2004 05:15 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:27 PM.