Vista Update Fails - Error Code 80070005

xRoachx

      12th Sep 2008
Hi All,

I've searched high and low for a solution but so far I haven't found an
answer. I'm running Windows Vista Business and I have my laptop configured to
automatically update. My last successful updates were on 8/12/08. Since then,
each time I attempt to run the windows update, I get Error Code 80070005 -
Windows could not search for new updates. I'm not sure what's changed since
my last updates.

So far, I've tried renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder and double
checked that I'm running the updates as the admin. Renaming the folder did
not work and I am definitely running my updates as an admin. Any feedback is
appreciated.

TaurArian

      12th Sep 2008
See if installing the 3.0 client resolves the problem.
A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928

Another thing you can try is resetting the security settings back to the
defaults:

How to reset security settings back to the defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Otherwise - Start a free Windows Update support incident request:

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org
======================================

"xRoachx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I've searched high and low for a solution but so far I haven't found an
> answer. I'm running Windows Vista Business and I have my laptop configured
> automatically update. My last successful updates were on 8/12/08. Since
> then,
> each time I attempt to run the windows update, I get Error Code 80070005 -
> Windows could not search for new updates. I'm not sure what's changed
> since
> my last updates.
>
> So far, I've tried renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder and double
> checked that I'm running the updates as the admin. Renaming the folder did
> not work and I am definitely running my updates as an admin. Any feedback
> is
> appreciated.

xRoachx

      12th Sep 2008
TaurArian,

Thanks for the prompt reply! I will give this a try this evening and post
back the results.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> See if installing the 3.0 client resolves the problem.
> A new version of the Windows Update Agent is available
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946928
>
> Another thing you can try is resetting the security settings back to the
> defaults:
>
> How to reset security settings back to the defaults
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222
>
> Otherwise - Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
>

> "xRoachx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've searched high and low for a solution but so far I haven't found an
> > answer. I'm running Windows Vista Business and I have my laptop configured
> > automatically update. My last successful updates were on 8/12/08. Since
> > then,
> > each time I attempt to run the windows update, I get Error Code 80070005 -
> > Windows could not search for new updates. I'm not sure what's changed
> > since
> > my last updates.
> >
> > So far, I've tried renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder and double
> > checked that I'm running the updates as the admin. Renaming the folder did
> > not work and I am definitely running my updates as an admin. Any feedback
> > is
> > appreciated.

xRoachx

      13th Sep 2008
The 1st item below threw an unrecoverable critical error when trying to
install. I've found this issue in other forums for people also trying to
install the file. The 2nd item didn't work either so I guess I'm left with
option 3.

It's frustrating because I cannot find a solution to the problem. I have 2
other PCs running Vista and on both, the updates work just fine.

Thanks for the assistance.