Vista Ultimate Upgrade Freezes at "Completing Upgrade"

=?Utf-8?B?YmJ1c2g=?=

      4th Feb 2007
I've recently purchased a brand new (no-OS) PC. I installed my legitimate
copy of Windows XP Home Edition (w/SP2) on it and it loaded everything
without a hitch. Once I started the upgrade process to Windows Vista Ultimate
with my legitimate Vista Ultimate Upgrade dvd, everything was going along
smoothly until after the second reboot. It came up to the "Upgrading
Windows....." screen with the check marks next to "Copying Windows files",
"Gathering files", "Expanding files", and "Installing features and upates".
In bold black letters it now reads "Completing Upgrade.." and it appears to
be completely locked up. Mouse won't move and I see no hard disk activity. I
tried this once earlier, and I know that if I reboot my machine, it'll come
up and tell me the installation failed and it'll roll my OS back to XP. Has
anyone else encountered this, and if so, what do I do?

MICHAEL

      4th Feb 2007
Use the "custom install" instead of "upgrade"

-Michael

"bbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've recently purchased a brand new (no-OS) PC. I installed my legitimate
> copy of Windows XP Home Edition (w/SP2) on it and it loaded everything
> without a hitch. Once I started the upgrade process to Windows Vista Ultimate
> with my legitimate Vista Ultimate Upgrade dvd, everything was going along
> smoothly until after the second reboot. It came up to the "Upgrading
> Windows....." screen with the check marks next to "Copying Windows files",
> "Gathering files", "Expanding files", and "Installing features and upates".
> In bold black letters it now reads "Completing Upgrade.." and it appears to
> be completely locked up. Mouse won't move and I see no hard disk activity. I
> tried this once earlier, and I know that if I reboot my machine, it'll come
> up and tell me the installation failed and it'll roll my OS back to XP. Has
> anyone else encountered this, and if so, what do I do?

=?Utf-8?B?YmJ1c2g=?=

      4th Feb 2007
Will that really make a difference?

"MICHAEL" wrote:

> Use the "custom install" instead of "upgrade"
>

> -Michael
>

> "bbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've recently purchased a brand new (no-OS) PC. I installed my legitimate
> > copy of Windows XP Home Edition (w/SP2) on it and it loaded everything
> > without a hitch. Once I started the upgrade process to Windows Vista Ultimate
> > with my legitimate Vista Ultimate Upgrade dvd, everything was going along
> > smoothly until after the second reboot. It came up to the "Upgrading
> > Windows....." screen with the check marks next to "Copying Windows files",
> > "Gathering files", "Expanding files", and "Installing features and upates".
> > In bold black letters it now reads "Completing Upgrade.." and it appears to
> > be completely locked up. Mouse won't move and I see no hard disk activity. I
> > tried this once earlier, and I know that if I reboot my machine, it'll come
> > up and tell me the installation failed and it'll roll my OS back to XP. Has
> > anyone else encountered this, and if so, what do I do?

MICHAEL

      4th Feb 2007
I think it could. Just do it.

-Michael

"bbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will that really make a difference?
>
> "MICHAEL" wrote:
>
>> Use the "custom install" instead of "upgrade"
>>

>> -Michael
>>

>> "bbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I've recently purchased a brand new (no-OS) PC. I installed my legitimate
>> > copy of Windows XP Home Edition (w/SP2) on it and it loaded everything
>> > without a hitch. Once I started the upgrade process to Windows Vista Ultimate
>> > with my legitimate Vista Ultimate Upgrade dvd, everything was going along
>> > smoothly until after the second reboot. It came up to the "Upgrading
>> > Windows....." screen with the check marks next to "Copying Windows files",
>> > "Gathering files", "Expanding files", and "Installing features and upates".
>> > In bold black letters it now reads "Completing Upgrade.." and it appears to
>> > be completely locked up. Mouse won't move and I see no hard disk activity. I
>> > tried this once earlier, and I know that if I reboot my machine, it'll come
>> > up and tell me the installation failed and it'll roll my OS back to XP. Has
>> > anyone else encountered this, and if so, what do I do?

=?Utf-8?B?YmJ1c2g=?=

      4th Feb 2007
I just tried it, and it still gets frozen up at exactly the same spot. Any
other suggestions to try?

"MICHAEL" wrote:

> I think it could. Just do it.
>
> -Michael
>
> "bbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Will that really make a difference?
> >
> > "MICHAEL" wrote:
> >
> >> Use the "custom install" instead of "upgrade"
> >>

> >> -Michael
> >>

> >> "bbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?YmJ1c2g=?=

      4th Feb 2007
I even tried copying the contents of the entire Vista Ultimate Upgrade dvd
into a file on my hard disk and trying the upgrade from there. Same thing.
The process gets hung at exactly the same place every time.

"bbush" wrote:

> I just tried it, and it still gets frozen up at exactly the same spot. Any
> other suggestions to try?
>
> "MICHAEL" wrote:
>
> > I think it could. Just do it.
> >
> > -Michael
> >
> > "bbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Will that really make a difference?

=?Utf-8?B?RHlsYW5N?=

      4th Feb 2007
I had the same issue - turns out in my case my old Linksys wireless B PCI
card (WMP11) was incompatible and decided to take up 100% of CPU resources,
bringing the process to a crawl.

BTW, the only way I found this out was to let the install run - it
eventually finished... 48 hours later!Once I got rid of it from my system
things were back to normal.

MICHAEL

      4th Feb 2007
Have you tried unplugging every USB device during the install?
Unplug any extra peripherals. Uninstall any AVs, firewalls, spyware
programs, any type of programs that monitor or write to the disk.
Close all programs- all programs sitting in the notification area/systray.
Do some disk cleanup, run chkdsk, and defrag.

Try again.

-Michael

"bbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I even tried copying the contents of the entire Vista Ultimate Upgrade dvd
> into a file on my hard disk and trying the upgrade from there. Same thing.
> The process gets hung at exactly the same place every time.
>
> "bbush" wrote:
>
>> I just tried it, and it still gets frozen up at exactly the same spot. Any
>> other suggestions to try?
>>
>> "MICHAEL" wrote:
>>
>> > I think it could. Just do it.
>> >
>> > -Michael
>> >
>> > "bbush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?YmJ1c2g=?=

      4th Feb 2007
I also use a Linksys wireless B PCI card. If I remove it and try the install
again, will I be able to put it back in once the install is complete and
still be able to use it with my machine?

"DylanM" wrote:

> I had the same issue - turns out in my case my old Linksys wireless B PCI
> card (WMP11) was incompatible and decided to take up 100% of CPU resources,
> bringing the process to a crawl.
>
> BTW, the only way I found this out was to let the install run - it
> eventually finished... 48 hours later!Once I got rid of it from my system
> things were back to normal.

=?Utf-8?B?RHlsYW5N?=

      4th Feb 2007
Hi Bbush,

No, it isn't compatible with vista and isn't supported by Linksys. It'd be
great if the upgrade advisor was a bit more blunt.

Here's a list of adapters that do run/have drivers for Vista:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...er#Upgradeable