Vista network problem

mcneely

      9th Jan 2008
We have a Dell with Vista running on it. we connected it to the university
network and are not able to get any browser to find any web site.
I open a command line and do a ping both with ip address numbers and via
name and ping works fine so there is network connectivity and name server
access. I can't find any answer to why the browser will not work. I have
tried the microsoft browser and mozilla neither will work.

Does any one have any ideas? I am a nubie to Vista. but pretty well versed
in 2000 and XP.
Thanks,

Matt

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

      9th Jan 2008
Do you know the University uses a proxy server? Or do you a XP to test it?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"mcneely" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have a Dell with Vista running on it. we connected it to the university
> network and are not able to get any browser to find any web site.
> I open a command line and do a ping both with ip address numbers and via
> name and ping works fine so there is network connectivity and name server
> access. I can't find any answer to why the browser will not work. I have
> tried the microsoft browser and mozilla neither will work.
>
> Does any one have any ideas? I am a nubie to Vista. but pretty well versed
> in 2000 and XP.
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

Chuck [MVP]

      9th Jan 2008
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 06:59:07 -0800, mcneely <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>We have a Dell with Vista running on it. we connected it to the university
>network and are not able to get any browser to find any web site.
>I open a command line and do a ping both with ip address numbers and via
>name and ping works fine so there is network connectivity and name server
>access. I can't find any answer to why the browser will not work. I have
>tried the microsoft browser and mozilla neither will work.
>
>Does any one have any ideas? I am a nubie to Vista. but pretty well versed
>in 2000 and XP.
>Thanks,
>
>Matt

Matt,

I'll give you 2 alternatives.

Depending upon your Internet service, your MTU may be too large. This will
cause the old " ... cannot find web site ..." and similar symptoms.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/determining-mtu-to-single-server.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...le-server.html

And it's always possible that LSP / Winsock corruption is involved.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

mcneely

      9th Jan 2008
We do not have a proxy server. xp machines connect just fine.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do you know the University uses a proxy server? Or do you a XP to test it?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "mcneely" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We have a Dell with Vista running on it. we connected it to the university
> > network and are not able to get any browser to find any web site.
> > I open a command line and do a ping both with ip address numbers and via
> > name and ping works fine so there is network connectivity and name server
> > access. I can't find any answer to why the browser will not work. I have
> > tried the microsoft browser and mozilla neither will work.
> >
> > Does any one have any ideas? I am a nubie to Vista. but pretty well versed
> > in 2000 and XP.
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Matt

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

      9th Jan 2008
Then try to start Vista with clean boot. Please post back with the result.

Troubleshooting Vista with clean bootHow to run Windows OS with a clean
....How to run Windows OS with a clean boot ... when you cannot determine the
cause of the issue, you may run Windows Safe ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=778