Vista Home Premium Freezes using front USB ports

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1pbGxlcg==?=

      9th Apr 2007
I'm having an unusual problem with the front USB ports of my computer, and I
need to go through a process of elimination before determining where the
fault resides. Here is my system configuration:

Athlon XP 64x2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU
Antec P180 Mid-Tower Case
DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR/G Motherboard
Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply
2 GB RAM (Corsair ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 DIMM x 2)
ATI X1650 Pro PCI-Express Video Card w/ 512MB RAM
Belkin 5-Port PCI USB 2.0 Card
Western Digital WD1600JSRTL SATA 300 MB/s Hard Drive (x 2)
LG GSA-H10L Lightscribe DVD Burner
Iomega Internal Zip Drive 250

When I plug a USB flash drive - any USB flash drive - into the rear USB 2.0
ports on my system, whether they're directly on the motherboard or on the
Belkin PCI card, the drive is recognized immediately and installs without a
hitch. If I plug any of these drives into the front USB 2.0 ports of my
system, Vista makes a sound acknowledging the connection, then locks up. I
can't even invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and I have to do a hard
restart.

I presume the problem isn't with the motherboard since the onboard USB ports
work just fine. I checked the connection between the front ports on the case
and the motherboard, and it's solid. I imagine it's not Vista because the OS
recognizes and installs USB flash drives connected to the rear ports,
although at one point, it was successfully installing the ones up front as
well. I need to go into safe mode and see if that makes a difference, and
I'll report back if it does. Unless I miss my guess, it seems like the front
USB 2.0 ports themselves are defective, in which case I'll have to go back to
my case manufacturer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Ron

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      9th Apr 2007
Download and install the following update:

Reliability update for the USB stack in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ron Miller" wrote:

| I'm having an unusual problem with the front USB ports of my computer, and I
| need to go through a process of elimination before determining where the
| fault resides. Here is my system configuration:
|
| Athlon XP 64x2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU
| Antec P180 Mid-Tower Case
| DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR/G Motherboard
| Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply
| 2 GB RAM (Corsair ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 DIMM x 2)
| ATI X1650 Pro PCI-Express Video Card w/ 512MB RAM
| Belkin 5-Port PCI USB 2.0 Card
| Western Digital WD1600JSRTL SATA 300 MB/s Hard Drive (x 2)
| LG GSA-H10L Lightscribe DVD Burner
| Iomega Internal Zip Drive 250
|
| When I plug a USB flash drive - any USB flash drive - into the rear USB 2.0
| ports on my system, whether they're directly on the motherboard or on the
| Belkin PCI card, the drive is recognized immediately and installs without a
| hitch. If I plug any of these drives into the front USB 2.0 ports of my
| system, Vista makes a sound acknowledging the connection, then locks up. I
| can't even invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and I have to do a hard
| restart.
|
| I presume the problem isn't with the motherboard since the onboard USB ports
| work just fine. I checked the connection between the front ports on the case
| and the motherboard, and it's solid. I imagine it's not Vista because the OS
| recognizes and installs USB flash drives connected to the rear ports,
| although at one point, it was successfully installing the ones up front as
| well. I need to go into safe mode and see if that makes a difference, and
| I'll report back if it does. Unless I miss my guess, it seems like the front
| USB 2.0 ports themselves are defective, in which case I'll have to go back to
| my case manufacturer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
|
| Regards,
|
| Ron

kirk jim

      9th Apr 2007
Tell me MVP Sir, if this is not in autoupdate,
how will millions of people find it when they run into problems?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Download and install the following update:
>
> Reliability update for the USB stack in Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Client

> "Ron Miller" wrote:
>
> | I'm having an unusual problem with the front USB ports of my computer,
> and I
> | need to go through a process of elimination before determining where the
> | fault resides. Here is my system configuration:
> |
> | Athlon XP 64x2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU
> | Antec P180 Mid-Tower Case
> | DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR/G Motherboard
> | Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply
> | 2 GB RAM (Corsair ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 DIMM x 2)
> | ATI X1650 Pro PCI-Express Video Card w/ 512MB RAM
> | Belkin 5-Port PCI USB 2.0 Card
> | Western Digital WD1600JSRTL SATA 300 MB/s Hard Drive (x 2)
> | LG GSA-H10L Lightscribe DVD Burner
> | Iomega Internal Zip Drive 250
> |
> | When I plug a USB flash drive - any USB flash drive - into the rear USB
> 2.0
> | ports on my system, whether they're directly on the motherboard or on
> the
> | Belkin PCI card, the drive is recognized immediately and installs
> without a
> | hitch. If I plug any of these drives into the front USB 2.0 ports of my
> | system, Vista makes a sound acknowledging the connection, then locks up.
> | can't even invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and I have to do a
> hard
> | restart.
> |
> | I presume the problem isn't with the motherboard since the onboard USB
> ports
> | work just fine. I checked the connection between the front ports on the
> case
> | and the motherboard, and it's solid. I imagine it's not Vista because
> the OS
> | recognizes and installs USB flash drives connected to the rear ports,
> | although at one point, it was successfully installing the ones up front
> as
> | well. I need to go into safe mode and see if that makes a difference,
> and
> | I'll report back if it does. Unless I miss my guess, it seems like the
> front
> | USB 2.0 ports themselves are defective, in which case I'll have to go
> back to
> | my case manufacturer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
> |
> | Regards,
> |
> | Ron

Peter Foldes

      9th Apr 2007
Kirk

Tell me that you are serious with that answer(> how will millions of people find it when they run into problems?)

They find it like Carey or many others including myself. All it takes is to search the KB by putting in the correct search line in the search box on the MS KB site and reading the results and selecting the one from many that is associated with that issue.

--
Peter

"kirk jim" <11@11.11> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tell me MVP Sir, if this is not in autoupdate,
> how will millions of people find it when they run into problems?
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Download and install the following update:
>>
>> Reliability update for the USB stack in Windows Vista
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Client

>> "Ron Miller" wrote:
>>
>> | I'm having an unusual problem with the front USB ports of my computer,
>> and I
>> | need to go through a process of elimination before determining where the
>> | fault resides. Here is my system configuration:
>> |
>> | Athlon XP 64x2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU
>> | Antec P180 Mid-Tower Case
>> | DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR/G Motherboard
>> | Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply
>> | 2 GB RAM (Corsair ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 DIMM x 2)
>> | ATI X1650 Pro PCI-Express Video Card w/ 512MB RAM
>> | Belkin 5-Port PCI USB 2.0 Card
>> | Western Digital WD1600JSRTL SATA 300 MB/s Hard Drive (x 2)
>> | LG GSA-H10L Lightscribe DVD Burner
>> | Iomega Internal Zip Drive 250
>> |
>> | When I plug a USB flash drive - any USB flash drive - into the rear USB
>> 2.0
>> | ports on my system, whether they're directly on the motherboard or on
>> the
>> | Belkin PCI card, the drive is recognized immediately and installs
>> without a
>> | hitch. If I plug any of these drives into the front USB 2.0 ports of my
>> | system, Vista makes a sound acknowledging the connection, then locks up.
>> | can't even invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and I have to do a
>> hard
>> | restart.
>> |
>> | I presume the problem isn't with the motherboard since the onboard USB
>> ports
>> | work just fine. I checked the connection between the front ports on the
>> case
>> | and the motherboard, and it's solid. I imagine it's not Vista because
>> the OS
>> | recognizes and installs USB flash drives connected to the rear ports,
>> | although at one point, it was successfully installing the ones up front
>> as
>> | well. I need to go into safe mode and see if that makes a difference,
>> and
>> | I'll report back if it does. Unless I miss my guess, it seems like the
>> front
>> | USB 2.0 ports themselves are defective, in which case I'll have to go
>> back to
>> | my case manufacturer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
>> |
>> | Regards,
>> |
>> | Ron

kirk jim

      9th Apr 2007
Peter, most people can barley search on Google...
Lots of people browse the internet by putting the address in their homepage
that is Google and not the address box...lol You think people are computer
literate.. yet you would be surprised....

Take this newsgroup for example...You would think that in here would be some
of very knowlagble folk...
the percentage of us that really know whats going on
in a operating system is perhaps 1-2%. The rest are people who claim that
vista runs
fast on 512 mb and is faster than XP! lol Some say that speed is all about
"feeling" and these are MVPees too!

vistaboys :-) Don't expect much from em.

"Peter Foldes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> ports
>> | work just fine. I checked the connection between the front ports on the
>> case
>> | and the motherboard, and it's solid. I imagine it's not Vista because
>> the OS
>> | recognizes and installs USB flash drives connected to the rear ports,
>> | although at one point, it was successfully installing the ones up front
>> as
>> | well. I need to go into safe mode and see if that makes a difference,
>> and
>> | I'll report back if it does. Unless I miss my guess, it seems like the
>> front
>> | USB 2.0 ports themselves are defective, in which case I'll have to go
>> back to
>> | my case manufacturer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Nina DiBoy

      9th Apr 2007
"Ron Miller" wrote:

| I'm having an unusual problem with the front USB ports of my computer,
and I
| need to go through a process of elimination before determining where the
| fault resides. Here is my system configuration:
|
| Athlon XP 64x2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU
| Antec P180 Mid-Tower Case
| DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR/G Motherboard
| Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply
| 2 GB RAM (Corsair ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 DIMM x 2)
| ATI X1650 Pro PCI-Express Video Card w/ 512MB RAM
| Belkin 5-Port PCI USB 2.0 Card
| Western Digital WD1600JSRTL SATA 300 MB/s Hard Drive (x 2)
| LG GSA-H10L Lightscribe DVD Burner
| Iomega Internal Zip Drive 250
|
| When I plug a USB flash drive - any USB flash drive - into the rear
USB 2.0
| ports on my system, whether they're directly on the motherboard or on the
| Belkin PCI card, the drive is recognized immediately and installs
without a
| hitch. If I plug any of these drives into the front USB 2.0 ports of my
| system, Vista makes a sound acknowledging the connection, then locks
up. I
| can't even invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and I have to do
a hard
| restart.
|
| I presume the problem isn't with the motherboard since the onboard USB
ports
| work just fine. I checked the connection between the front ports on
the case
| and the motherboard, and it's solid. I imagine it's not Vista because
the OS
| recognizes and installs USB flash drives connected to the rear ports,
| although at one point, it was successfully installing the ones up
front as
| well. I need to go into safe mode and see if that makes a difference, and
| I'll report back if it does. Unless I miss my guess, it seems like the
front
| USB 2.0 ports themselves are defective, in which case I'll have to go
back to
| my case manufacturer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
|
| Regards,
|
| Ron

Hi Ron. It sounds to me as though your front ports are bad too. Have
you tried any other usb devices in them?

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
"poor little MADAM albright still got your knickers twisted. how are we
supposed to believe you know anything about computers when you cannot
even dress your self. oh and pull that skirt down."

"Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
- T. S. Eliot

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1pbGxlcg==?=

      14th Apr 2007
I'll be -- it worked! I was almost certain that it was a hardware problem
with the front ports of the case. Many, many thanks!

Regards,

Ron

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Download and install the following update:
>
> Reliability update for the USB stack in Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Client

> "Ron Miller" wrote:
>
> | I'm having an unusual problem with the front USB ports of my computer, and I
> | need to go through a process of elimination before determining where the
> | fault resides. Here is my system configuration:
> |
> | Athlon XP 64x2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU
> | Antec P180 Mid-Tower Case
> | DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR/G Motherboard
> | Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply
> | 2 GB RAM (Corsair ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 DIMM x 2)
> | ATI X1650 Pro PCI-Express Video Card w/ 512MB RAM
> | Belkin 5-Port PCI USB 2.0 Card
> | Western Digital WD1600JSRTL SATA 300 MB/s Hard Drive (x 2)
> | LG GSA-H10L Lightscribe DVD Burner
> | Iomega Internal Zip Drive 250
> |
> | When I plug a USB flash drive - any USB flash drive - into the rear USB 2.0
> | ports on my system, whether they're directly on the motherboard or on the
> | Belkin PCI card, the drive is recognized immediately and installs without a
> | hitch. If I plug any of these drives into the front USB 2.0 ports of my
> | system, Vista makes a sound acknowledging the connection, then locks up. I
> | can't even invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and I have to do a hard
> | restart.
> |
> | I presume the problem isn't with the motherboard since the onboard USB ports
> | work just fine. I checked the connection between the front ports on the case
> | and the motherboard, and it's solid. I imagine it's not Vista because the OS
> | recognizes and installs USB flash drives connected to the rear ports,
> | although at one point, it was successfully installing the ones up front as
> | well. I need to go into safe mode and see if that makes a difference, and
> | I'll report back if it does. Unless I miss my guess, it seems like the front
> | USB 2.0 ports themselves are defective, in which case I'll have to go back to
> | my case manufacturer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
> |
> | Regards,
> |
> | Ron

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIE1pbGxlcg==?=

      14th Apr 2007
That was my thought, but the software solution Carey Frisch recommended did
the trick. I'm not sure I understand why, but I'm not going to complain!

Regards,

Ron

"Nina DiBoy" wrote:

> "Ron Miller" wrote:
>
> | I'm having an unusual problem with the front USB ports of my computer,
> and I
> | need to go through a process of elimination before determining where the
> | fault resides. Here is my system configuration:
> |
> | Athlon XP 64x2 4800+ Dual-Core CPU
> | Antec P180 Mid-Tower Case
> | DFI LANParty UT CFX3200-DR/G Motherboard
> | Antec Neo HE 550 Power Supply
> | 2 GB RAM (Corsair ValueSelect VS1GB400C3 DIMM x 2)
> | ATI X1650 Pro PCI-Express Video Card w/ 512MB RAM
> | Belkin 5-Port PCI USB 2.0 Card
> | Western Digital WD1600JSRTL SATA 300 MB/s Hard Drive (x 2)
> | LG GSA-H10L Lightscribe DVD Burner
> | Iomega Internal Zip Drive 250
> |
> | When I plug a USB flash drive - any USB flash drive - into the rear
> USB 2.0
> | ports on my system, whether they're directly on the motherboard or on the
> | Belkin PCI card, the drive is recognized immediately and installs
> without a
> | hitch. If I plug any of these drives into the front USB 2.0 ports of my
> | system, Vista makes a sound acknowledging the connection, then locks
> up. I
> | can't even invoke the Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del and I have to do
> a hard
> | restart.
> |
> | I presume the problem isn't with the motherboard since the onboard USB
> ports
> | work just fine. I checked the connection between the front ports on
> the case
> | and the motherboard, and it's solid. I imagine it's not Vista because
> the OS
> | recognizes and installs USB flash drives connected to the rear ports,
> | although at one point, it was successfully installing the ones up
> front as
> | well. I need to go into safe mode and see if that makes a difference, and
> | I'll report back if it does. Unless I miss my guess, it seems like the
> front
> | USB 2.0 ports themselves are defective, in which case I'll have to go
> back to
> | my case manufacturer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
> |
> | Regards,
> |
> | Ron
>
> Hi Ron. It sounds to me as though your front ports are bad too. Have
> you tried any other usb devices in them?
>
> --
> Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
> http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html
>
> Most recent idiotic quote added to KICK (Klassic Idiotic Caption Kooks):
> "poor little MADAM albright still got your knickers twisted. how are we
> supposed to believe you know anything about computers when you cannot
> even dress your self. oh and pull that skirt down."
>
> "Good poets borrow; great poets steal."
> - T. S. Eliot

Joe Guidera

      14th Apr 2007
Yeah, that's been an outstanding issue on certain machines since last year.
Looks like the fix has finally been released to the public.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...