Vista blue screen - can't read blue screen

nojetlag

      5th Feb 2007
Hi there,
all of the sudden my machine won't start anymore. I'm running Vista
Ultimate and the first problem is that the
machine goes into boot-bluescreen-boot-bluescreen cycle so I can't
read what's on the blue screen. So i figured out that the Vista Repair
Tools would help me and therefore booted from the DVD. Memory Test was
ok, no error found in the start up sequence. However a System Restore
to a the time when I did install the latest WPF CTP failed with a
(0x80070005) error. The machine won't do last good known, nor will it
make into safe mode (without anything else), the last thing it loads
on its way to safe mode is crcdisk. After that it goes into reboot. I
assume a hardware issue since I haven't installed any new device
lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now

Jon

      5th Feb 2007

"nojetlag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
> all of the sudden my machine won't start anymore. I'm running Vista
> Ultimate and the first problem is that the
> machine goes into boot-bluescreen-boot-bluescreen cycle so I can't
> read what's on the blue screen. So i figured out that the Vista Repair
> Tools would help me and therefore booted from the DVD. Memory Test was
> ok, no error found in the start up sequence. However a System Restore
> to a the time when I did install the latest WPF CTP failed with a
> (0x80070005) error. The machine won't do last good known, nor will it
> make into safe mode (without anything else), the last thing it loads
> on its way to safe mode is crcdisk. After that it goes into reboot. I
> assume a hardware issue since I haven't installed any new device
> lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
> frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
> fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now

The short answer is that you'd need to disable the particular 'boot' level
startup [as opposed to system / automatic /manual ...startup] service that
is causing the crashes. This would enable you to get into safe mode.

You can get a to a recovery command prompt via your DVD, from which the 'sc'
command and 'reg add' commands may prove useful

sc /?
reg /?

--
Jon

Jon

      5th Feb 2007

"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ub%23gn$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "nojetlag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi there,
>> all of the sudden my machine won't start anymore. I'm running Vista
>> Ultimate and the first problem is that the
>> machine goes into boot-bluescreen-boot-bluescreen cycle so I can't
>> read what's on the blue screen. So i figured out that the Vista Repair
>> Tools would help me and therefore booted from the DVD. Memory Test was
>> ok, no error found in the start up sequence. However a System Restore
>> to a the time when I did install the latest WPF CTP failed with a
>> (0x80070005) error. The machine won't do last good known, nor will it
>> make into safe mode (without anything else), the last thing it loads
>> on its way to safe mode is crcdisk. After that it goes into reboot. I
>> assume a hardware issue since I haven't installed any new device
>> lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
>> frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
>> fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now
>>

> The short answer is that you'd need to disable the particular 'boot' level
> startup [as opposed to system / automatic /manual ...startup] service that
> is causing the crashes. This would enable you to get into safe mode.
>
> You can get a to a recovery command prompt via your DVD, from which the
> 'sc' command and 'reg add' commands may prove useful
>
> sc /?
> reg /?
>

> --
> Jon

Looks like the 'sc' command is unavailable from the DVD command prompt, but
'reg' is.

There's also a 'Startup repair' option on the preceding screen which you may
or may not have tried.

--
Jon

Sarah Moyer

      5th Feb 2007
"nojetlag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi there,
> all of the sudden my machine won't start anymore. I'm running Vista
> Ultimate and the first problem is that the
> machine goes into boot-bluescreen-boot-bluescreen cycle so I can't
> read what's on the blue screen. So i figured out that the Vista Repair
> Tools would help me and therefore booted from the DVD. Memory Test was
> ok, no error found in the start up sequence. However a System Restore
> to a the time when I did install the latest WPF CTP failed with a
> (0x80070005) error. The machine won't do last good known, nor will it
> make into safe mode (without anything else), the last thing it loads
> on its way to safe mode is crcdisk. After that it goes into reboot. I
> assume a hardware issue since I haven't installed any new device
> lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
> frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
> fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now

I'm sick of it!

Get a Mac if you want a REAL solution to your problem.

http://www.apple.com/

Jon

      6th Feb 2007

"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ub%23gn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "nojetlag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi there,
>>> all of the sudden my machine won't start anymore. I'm running Vista
>>> Ultimate and the first problem is that the
>>> machine goes into boot-bluescreen-boot-bluescreen cycle so I can't
>>> read what's on the blue screen. So i figured out that the Vista Repair
>>> Tools would help me and therefore booted from the DVD. Memory Test was
>>> ok, no error found in the start up sequence. However a System Restore
>>> to a the time when I did install the latest WPF CTP failed with a
>>> (0x80070005) error. The machine won't do last good known, nor will it
>>> make into safe mode (without anything else), the last thing it loads
>>> on its way to safe mode is crcdisk. After that it goes into reboot. I
>>> assume a hardware issue since I haven't installed any new device
>>> lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
>>> frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
>>> fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now
>>>

>> The short answer is that you'd need to disable the particular 'boot'
>> level startup [as opposed to system / automatic /manual ...startup]
>> service that is causing the crashes. This would enable you to get into
>> safe mode.
>>
>> You can get a to a recovery command prompt via your DVD, from which the
>> 'sc' command and 'reg add' commands may prove useful
>>
>> sc /?
>> reg /?
>>

>> --
>> Jon

> Looks like the 'sc' command is unavailable from the DVD command prompt,
> but 'reg' is.
>
> There's also a 'Startup repair' option on the preceding screen which you
> may or may not have tried.
>
> --
> Jon

..... and finally to complete my personal soliloquy...

Some examples of using 'reg' with the DVD command prompt....

Disable the automatic reboot after stop errors....
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl" /v AutoReboot
/t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Find boot level services (Start = 0) ......
reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services" /s /v Start | more

Disable a particular boot level service (eg 'crcdisk' here)
reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\crcdisk" /v Start /t
REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

--
Jon

Chad Harris

      6th Feb 2007
As Jon says have you tried Startup Repair? How about the Bootrec.exe tool
in the Win RE environment?

Also before the fat lady sings, you need to exhaust every safe mode to
attempt to run System restore from the F8 Adv Options menu after you try
those including to run system restore from the command prompt. Sometimes
running System Restore from one safe mode works when others don't. In my
experience SR from the Recovery environment works better, but not all the
time.

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

A Stop error occurs, or the computer stops responding when you try to start
Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

I'd deploy these if replacing the driver (provided you can boot) doesn't
solve the problem:

You run the startup repair tool this way:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

Note The computer must be configured to start from a CD or from a DVD. For
information about how to configure the computer to start from a CD or from a
DVD, see the information that came with the computer.
2. Restart the computer. To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to
the Lock button, and then click Restart.

This usually means that you enter bios setup by whatever key or keys
(sometimes there is more than one key that will do it for your model--go to
pc manufacturer site) and configure CD to be first in the boot order.

See for ref:
Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Note If you cannot restart the computer by using this method, use the power
button to turn off the computer. Then, turn the computer back on.
3. Set your language preference, and then click Next.

Note In most cases, the startup repair process starts automatically, and you
do not have the option to select it in the System Recovery Options menu.
4. Click Repair your computer.
5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click the operating system
that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair to start the
repair process.
7. When the repair process is complete, click Finish.

Additional References for Startup Repair With Screenshots:

How to Use Startup Repair:

***Accessing Windows RE (Repair Environment):***

1) Insert Media into PC (the DVD you burned)

2) ***You will see on the Vista logo setup screen after lang. options in the
lower left corner, a link called "System Recovery Options."***

Screenshot: System Recovery Options (Lower Left Link)
http://blogs.itecn.net/photos/liuhui...4/500x375.aspx

Screenshot: (Click first option "Startup Repair"
http://www.leedesmond.com/images/img...SysRecOpt2.bmp

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

3) Select your OS for repair.

4) Its been my experience that you can see some causes of the crash from
theWin RE feature:

You'll have a choice there of using:

1) Startup Repair
2) System Restore
3) Complete PC Restore

You could also:

Try to F8 to the Windows Adv Options Menu>try 3 safe modes there (I don't
use WGA) and Last Known Good>then I go to Win RE in Vista. That gives you a
choice of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking,and Safe Mode with Command
Prompt.

These methods are outlined in

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP/and Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

You will need this reference:

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/en-us

The command to use for system restore at the safe mode cmd prompt is:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

The reason for doing this is one of these choices may work, when the other
doesn't. My experience is that people do not fully try F8 when they think
or have said they have. It is that they can almost always reach Windows
Advanced Options though.

Good luck,

CH

"nojetlag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
> all of the sudden my machine won't start anymore. I'm running Vista
> Ultimate and the first problem is that the
> machine goes into boot-bluescreen-boot-bluescreen cycle so I can't
> read what's on the blue screen. So i figured out that the Vista Repair
> Tools would help me and therefore booted from the DVD. Memory Test was
> ok, no error found in the start up sequence. However a System Restore
> to a the time when I did install the latest WPF CTP failed with a
> (0x80070005) error. The machine won't do last good known, nor will it
> make into safe mode (without anything else), the last thing it loads
> on its way to safe mode is crcdisk. After that it goes into reboot. I
> assume a hardware issue since I haven't installed any new device
> lately. However not having a clear diagnose in 2007 makes me a bit
> frustrated. Is there a log file that I could have a look at ? All this
> fantastic system reliability tools from Vista don't help now

nojetlag

      6th Feb 2007
Thanx to your excellent instruction I now managed to get a step
further, the stop code is
STOP: 0x0000007B (0x82406BA0,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Is it possible that this is related to OneCare Live ?