Vista and XP

=?Utf-8?B?Tm90dHMgQXNo?=

      22nd Jul 2006
will it be possible for a vista and xp computer to link together in a network

Mark D. VandenBerg

      22nd Jul 2006
Well, It's suppose to be possible, but some are having troubles.

--
Ted Stevens taught me everything I know about putting internets in tubes...

"Notts Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> will it be possible for a vista and xp computer to link together in a
> network

AJR

      22nd Jul 2006
Yes - I have XP and Vista as dual boot on a computer networked (crossover
cable) with another XP computer - networking and ICS working great!!

"Notts Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> will it be possible for a vista and xp computer to link together in a
> network

BigK

      22nd Jul 2006

"Notts Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> will it be possible for a vista and xp computer to link together in a
> network

I have an XP Home system connected to my laptop running Vista.

I have had trouble with printer sharing (can't print from the Vista machine)
but file sharing is doing fine. I have a router so I don't know about ICS.

AJR

      23rd Jul 2006
To "BigK" - I print from Vista to a HP 3740 connected directly to Vista
computer and to a HP 1310 connected to a network XP computer
Setting up the network printer went something like this: Set printer via XP
for sharing - gave share name hp1310 then:
1. Add printer via Vista
2. Select Network printer (Printer attached to
another computer)
3. Used the UNC path to the printer - in my case
\\roco-pro\hp1310
4. OK

"BigK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Notts Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> will it be possible for a vista and xp computer to link together in a
>> network

> I have an XP Home system connected to my laptop running Vista.
>
> I have had trouble with printer sharing (can't print from the Vista
> machine) but file sharing is doing fine. I have a router so I don't know
> about ICS.

=?Utf-8?B?cmFwdHVyZQ==?=

      24th Jul 2006
hey guys if you want to duel boot you need to get a program called Bootit
ive got both vista and xp pro running on the same computer

p.s but my dam printer doesnt work on vista (lexmark X6170 \\

"AJR" wrote:

> To "BigK" - I print from Vista to a HP 3740 connected directly to Vista
> computer and to a HP 1310 connected to a network XP computer
> Setting up the network printer went something like this: Set printer via XP
> for sharing - gave share name hp1310 then:
> 1. Add printer via Vista
> 2. Select Network printer (Printer attached to
> another computer)
> 3. Used the UNC path to the printer - in my case
> \\roco-pro\hp1310
> 4. OK
>
> "BigK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Notts Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> will it be possible for a vista and xp computer to link together in a
> >> network

> > I have an XP Home system connected to my laptop running Vista.
> >
> > I have had trouble with printer sharing (can't print from the Vista
> > machine) but file sharing is doing fine. I have a router so I don't know
> > about ICS.

Mark D. VandenBerg

      24th Jul 2006
Dueling is so 1800's...

--
Mark

My favourite so far: Unknown device has been correctly installed.

"rapture" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hey guys if you want to duel boot you need to get a program called Bootit
> ive got both vista and xp pro running on the same computer
>
> p.s but my dam printer doesnt work on vista (lexmark X6170 \\
>
> "AJR" wrote:
>
>> To "BigK" - I print from Vista to a HP 3740 connected directly to Vista
>> computer and to a HP 1310 connected to a network XP computer
>> Setting up the network printer went something like this: Set printer via
>> XP
>> for sharing - gave share name hp1310 then:
>> 1. Add printer via Vista
>> 2. Select Network printer (Printer attached to
>> another computer)
>> 3. Used the UNC path to the printer - in my case
>> \\roco-pro\hp1310
>> 4. OK
>>
>> "BigK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "Notts Ash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > I have an XP Home system connected to my laptop running Vista.
>> >
>> > I have had trouble with printer sharing (can't print from the Vista
>> > machine) but file sharing is doing fine. I have a router so I don't
>> > know
>> > about ICS.

AJR

      24th Jul 2006
Mark five-to-one they do not get it!!

"Mark D. VandenBerg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dueling is so 1800's...
>
> --
> Mark
>
> My favourite so far: Unknown device has been correctly installed.
>

> "rapture" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hey guys if you want to duel boot you need to get a program called Bootit
>> ive got both vista and xp pro running on the same computer
>>
>> p.s but my dam printer doesnt work on vista (lexmark X6170 \\
>>
>> "AJR" wrote:
>>
>>> To "BigK" - I print from Vista to a HP 3740 connected directly to Vista
>>> computer and to a HP 1310 connected to a network XP computer
>>> Setting up the network printer went something like this: Set printer via
>>> XP
>>> for sharing - gave share name hp1310 then:
>>> 1. Add printer via Vista
>>> 2. Select Network printer (Printer attached to
>>> another computer)
>>> 3. Used the UNC path to the printer - in my case
>>> \\roco-pro\hp1310
>>> 4. OK
>>>
>>> "BigK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?SmVubnktNzI=?=

      12th Oct 2006
I've tried this method with my Epson Stylus Photo 895 attached to a Windows
XP Pro workstation but Vista x64 just asks for drivers because they aren't on
the XP Pro machine.

The problem is, the drivers are only available on the Vista install CD and I
can't find them.

I've tried connecting the printer to the Vista x64 machine but face similar
problems from the XP Pro machine.

It's driving me nuts!! :-/