Vista 64 Home Premium Connects With One of Two XP Pro PC's

petergoode

      25th Jul 2009
I have a bit of a variation on a theme...and have read through many of the
posts here...with so many troubleshooting options, I hope I can provide a
basic yet clear synopsis of my issue so I can have a focused approach.

My home network consists of two XP Pro desktiops, one Vista Home Premium
desktop, and now a Vista 64 Home Premium HP Pavilion notebook accessing the
network via the wireless router. All are on the network called "network".

I do not intend to share anything from my notebook on the network...

My Vista Home Premium system can see all shared files on the two XP Pro
systems.

The XP Pro systems can see and share all shared files on the other XP Pro
and Vista systems.

However, my Vista notebook, while showing the names of all the PC's in the
network, can only access files on one of the XP Pro desktops...it is being
refused access to the other XP Pro desktop, and the Vista desktop.

I am hoping there is some simple tweak to explain this...I would have
thought that if the Vista desktop can access everything, the Vista notebook
should also have been able to do so. And, I assume my settings on the two XP
Pro system are adequately identical, obviously, thus allowing that.

So, is there something I need to change on the Vista notebook?

Obviously I will gladly forward any other technical info which would help.

Thanks so much in advance for whatever suggestions anyone can offer...this
seems odd, and not amenable to solution by the troubleshooting I have
attempted thus far.

Peter

Malke

      25th Jul 2009

petergoode wrote:

> I have a bit of a variation on a theme...and have read through many of the
> posts here...with so many troubleshooting options, I hope I can provide a
> basic yet clear synopsis of my issue so I can have a focused approach.
>
> My home network consists of two XP Pro desktiops, one Vista Home Premium
> desktop, and now a Vista 64 Home Premium HP Pavilion notebook accessing
> the
> network via the wireless router. All are on the network called "network".
>
> I do not intend to share anything from my notebook on the network...
>
> My Vista Home Premium system can see all shared files on the two XP Pro
> systems.
>
> The XP Pro systems can see and share all shared files on the other XP Pro
> and Vista systems.
>
> However, my Vista notebook, while showing the names of all the PC's in the
> network, can only access files on one of the XP Pro desktops...it is being
> refused access to the other XP Pro desktop, and the Vista desktop.
>
> I am hoping there is some simple tweak to explain this...I would have
> thought that if the Vista desktop can access everything, the Vista
> notebook
> should also have been able to do so. And, I assume my settings on the two
> XP Pro system are adequately identical, obviously, thus allowing that.

Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple
File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

petergoode

      25th Jul 2009
Thanks so much for taking time to help me.

Believe it or not, and I should have darned well known this, the problem was
with Zone Alarm's firewall setting...I changed the home network setting from
"internet" to "trusted", and voila, everything works.

However, the steps you mentioned were worth pursuing, for even though I've
been suffering through Windows systems for 15 years now, I still find there
are settings I never knew how to access or change.

Again, thanks!

Peter
--
pg

"Malke" wrote:

> petergoode wrote:
>
> > I have a bit of a variation on a theme...and have read through many of the
> > posts here...with so many troubleshooting options, I hope I can provide a
> > basic yet clear synopsis of my issue so I can have a focused approach.
> >
> > My home network consists of two XP Pro desktiops, one Vista Home Premium
> > desktop, and now a Vista 64 Home Premium HP Pavilion notebook accessing
> > the
> > network via the wireless router. All are on the network called "network".
> >
> > I do not intend to share anything from my notebook on the network...
> >
> > My Vista Home Premium system can see all shared files on the two XP Pro
> > systems.
> >
> > The XP Pro systems can see and share all shared files on the other XP Pro
> > and Vista systems.
> >
> > However, my Vista notebook, while showing the names of all the PC's in the
> > network, can only access files on one of the XP Pro desktops...it is being
> > refused access to the other XP Pro desktop, and the Vista desktop.
> >
> > I am hoping there is some simple tweak to explain this...I would have
> > thought that if the Vista desktop can access everything, the Vista
> > notebook
> > should also have been able to do so. And, I assume my settings on the two
> > XP Pro system are adequately identical, obviously, thus allowing that.

> Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
> to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
> assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just
> need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE
> PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot directly
> to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you
> can do this:
>
> XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm
>
> Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
> Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
> UAC
>
> Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
> computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
> desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
> for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
> there is no password (null).
>
> If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple
> File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Malke

      25th Jul 2009
petergoode wrote:

> Thanks so much for taking time to help me.
>
> Believe it or not, and I should have darned well known this, the problem
> was with Zone Alarm's firewall setting...I changed the home network
> setting from "internet" to "trusted", and voila, everything works.
>
> However, the steps you mentioned were worth pursuing, for even though I've
> been suffering through Windows systems for 15 years now, I still find
> there are settings I never knew how to access or change.

I'm so glad that sorted it for you. Thanks for taking the time to let me
know.

Malke