VirtualDeviceDrivers

Arctic Motor Sports

      15th Oct 2003
I've reached the end of Article #254914 regarding an error
with the VDD. It says if the steps involved don't work
to "delete and recreate the whole VirtualDeviceDrivers
registry key". I can't find any help on how to do this.
Can anyone help?

Ndi

      15th Oct 2003
"Arctic Motor Sports" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:07b201c392b8$c99f1670$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've reached the end of Article #254914 regarding an error
> with the VDD. It says if the steps involved don't work
> to "delete and recreate the whole VirtualDeviceDrivers
> registry key". I can't find any help on how to do this.
> Can anyone help?

1) The solution worked for all, it should for you. Maybe you did something
wrong, perhaps not restart?

2)
* Open Regedit
* Navigate to the key
* Select VDD in the LEFT pane
* Hit Del
* Select the parent key (VirtualDeviceDrivers)
* Right click and choose New Key
* Name the key VDD

3)
* Copy/paste the text below into a new text document.
* Rename it to Whatever.reg (or choose Save As and make sure type is not
TEXT, but All Files in the Save As dialog)
* Open it, answer Yes to the question about merging the file

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers]
"VDD"=hex(7):

--
Andrei "Ndi" Dobrin
Brainbench MVP

GermanPL

      16th Oct 2003
My problem is similar to this, but VDD does not appear.
When I attempt to enter it with "add value", I get the
message it already exists.

Thanks for any help.

Ndi

      17th Oct 2003
> My problem is similar to this, but VDD does not appear.
> When I attempt to enter it with "add value", I get the
> message it already exists.

I have no clue how you missed both Microsoft's and my explanation, but
here I go again.

* Don't use regedit. Use RegEdt32. Regedit is incapable of viewing/editing
advanced registry types. Regedit is also incapable of creating REG_MULTI_SZ,
so it's useless anyhow.

* If you can't create the value (VDD), you need to delete and re-create
the VirtualDeviceDrivers key.

My best guess is that when you navigate with RegEdt32 you'll be able to
see the value or the key. Also make sure you have the permission to touch
the keys (you might need to be Admin).

--
Andrei "Ndi" Dobrin
Brainbench MVP

Shaun Campbell

      17th Oct 2003
I'm afraid I need to do the same thing.

When trying to delete the VDD key to sort out the 16 bit error I could not
see it and deleted the VirtualDeviceDrivers entry by mistake.

I have rentered it but am not sure it is correct. Can anyone tell me
whether I can restore my registry and start again or is there some
description on how to recreate the VirtualDeviceDrivers entry again?

Thanks

Shaun

"Arctic Motor Sports" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:07b201c392b8$c99f1670$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've reached the end of Article #254914 regarding an error
> with the VDD. It says if the steps involved don't work
> to "delete and recreate the whole VirtualDeviceDrivers
> registry key". I can't find any help on how to do this.
> Can anyone help?

Ndi

      17th Oct 2003
> When trying to delete the VDD key to sort out the 16 bit error I could not
> see it and deleted the VirtualDeviceDrivers entry by mistake.
>
> I have rentered it but am not sure it is correct. Can anyone tell me
> whether I can restore my registry and start again or is there some
> description on how to recreate the VirtualDeviceDrivers entry again?

http://www.ndi.ro/VDDFix.exe

If it doesn't help you, please DO read my posts above, they include your
issue too.

--
Andrei "Ndi" Dobrin
Brainbench MVP