View External Raw Registry

mutex@api.com

      21st Mar 2006
I have a HDD slaved to my computer and I'm trying to find some way
to view the SOFTWARE file on it so I can pull the productId key out
of it. thanks for any info

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

John John

      21st Mar 2006
Try regedt32 . Once there use the help files and look for "Remote
Registry".

John

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a HDD slaved to my computer and I'm trying to find some way
> to view the SOFTWARE file on it so I can pull the productId key out
> of it. thanks for any info

> Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5
> * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Jerold Schulman

      21st Mar 2006
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:58:35 GMT, asm ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

>I have a HDD slaved to my computer and I'm trying to find some way
>to view the SOFTWARE file on it so I can pull the productId key out
>of it. thanks for any info

>Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5
> * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

See tip 0182 » Off-line Registry editing.
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
http://www.jsifaq.com

mutex@api.com

      22nd Mar 2006
umm when i tried regedt32 and loaded a hive it said something about
replacing keys and i freaked out and closed it out.. this isnt going
replace my main registry is it? it showed nothing about oldsystem

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Dave Patrick

      22nd Mar 2006
Run regedt32, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive.
Then navigate to the location of the hive you want to edit/read. Give it
some tempname (doesn't matter what). Then when your done, move the cursor
back to tempname, then Registry|Unload Hive, Registry|Exit

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"asm" wrote:
| umm when i tried regedt32 and loaded a hive it said something about
| replacing keys and i freaked out and closed it out.. this isnt going
| replace my main registry is it? it showed nothing about oldsystem
|
| ----------------------------------------------
| Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5
| * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Mark V

      22nd Mar 2006
In microsoft.public.win2000.registry Dave Patrick wrote:

> Run regedt32, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose
> Registry|Load Hive. Then navigate to the location of the hive
> you want to edit/read. Give it some tempname (doesn't matter
> what). Then when your done, move the cursor back to tempname,
> then Registry|Unload Hive, Registry|Exit

Additional tip OP for safety's sake. Copy the hive file in question
as a safety backup before you load it. That way there is no chance
of unintentional modification to the original.

Jim Byrd

      22nd Mar 2006
Just to expan and Mark's remarks:

Get Erunt here for all NT-based computers including XP:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ I've set it up to take a
scheduled backup each night at 12:01AM on a weekly round-robin basis, and a
Monthly on the 1st of each month. See here for how to set that up:
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-on...runt/erunt.txt, and for some
useful information about this subject

The following tutorials are useful:

Installing & Using ERUNT
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html

This program is one of the best things around - saved my butt on many
occasions, and will also run very nicely from a DOS prompt (in case you've
done something that won't let you boot any more and need to revert to a
previous Registry) IF you're FAT32 OR have a DOS startup disk with NTFS
write drivers in an NTFS system. (There is also a way using the Recovery
Console to get back to being "bootable" even without separate DOS write NTFS
drivers, after which you can do a normal ERDNT restore. See erunt.txt for
detailed instructions. Basically, if you make your backup into a folder
inside your Windows or Winnt folder, you can restore at a Recovery Console
boot by copying the files from that ERDNT folder into the system32\config
folder. After a good boot, then do another normal ERDNT restore to restore
the user hives also.) (BTW, it also includes a Registry defragger program).
Free, and very, very highly recommended.

FYI, quoting from the above document:

Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to make a
complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole registry
(for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is saved), nor can the
exported file be used later to replace the current registry with the old
one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is merged with the current
registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of old and new registry keys.

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

news:(E-Mail Removed)