How to view Active Directory OU Structure?

Brian B

      6th Apr 2006
Hi All

Anyone know how to, or what tool to buy, that allows printing out of the
entire Active Directory OU structure?

Thank you!

Brian B

Marc Scheuner

      6th Apr 2006
>Anyone know how to, or what tool to buy, that allows printing out of the
>entire Active Directory OU structure?

I wrote two ADSI browsers, that allow you to VIEW (but not print) your
AD structure:

http://adsi.mvps.org/adsi/Delphi/adsibrowser.html
http://adsi.mvps.org/adsi/csharp/beavertail.html

Both are free to use - enjoy!

Marc

Herb Martin

      31st May 2006
Marc Scheuner wrote:
>> Anyone know how to, or what tool to buy, that allows printing out of the
>> entire Active Directory OU structure?

> I wrote two ADSI browsers, that allow you to VIEW (but not print) your
> AD structure:
>
> http://adsi.mvps.org/adsi/Delphi/adsibrowser.html
> http://adsi.mvps.org/adsi/csharp/beavertail.html
>
> Both are free to use - enjoy!
>
> Marc

With Marc's tool if you can VIEW it you can use Snagit or similar
tools to capture and print it -- might not be convenient if your
OU structure is overly complicated but it could work.

[Just how complicated IS this OU hierarchy?]

You could use Visio (I think it takes Pro edition, but Enterprise
edition even lets you EDIT the results by manipulating the Visio
objects).

This is a bit expensive but works. (less so for Pro, and maybe a
less version does this too, but I seem to remember not.)

You can of course just open it up in AD Users and computers and
either export it to text or take a screen shot (Snagit etc.)

OR you could write a trivial ADSI or LDAP program to get the structure
and format it with Perl so some other simple language.

Depends a little on how much you wish to spend, how much you want to
work, what OUTPUT you actually need, and how often you wish to do this
(e.g., once or every week), etc....

--
Herb

Ken Aldrich

      12th Jun 2006
You can do this with DSRAZOR for Windows as well. Since all Tree Views and
List Views are exportable to file in DSRAZOR, you could take any applet that
shows your OU/Container Drilldown, select "Expand All" and right-click
export.
www.visualclick.com/?source=export061206

--
Ken Aldrich