Video Quality change in Windows Movie Maker

=?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZWJhc3M=?=

      6th Nov 2007
Hey Guys,

I'm creating a number of short video clips in WMM from approx. 6hrs of video
footage. I created the first clip in WMM on one machine and everything came
out fine with a high quality picture. The following 4 movies I've created
(on a different laptop with same version of WMM) have all come out with lower
quality video despite using the same source file as the first. In testing,
I can preview the source file in the WMM preview window and see the same
quality. As soon as I drag the video file to the timeline and watch it the
video quality becomes grainy and a little choppy in movement. I can't locate
any preferences or similar settings that ight allow me to modify how the
timeline view deals with video quality.

does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening? Are there potentially
other codecs or filters on the first laptop that might be causing this?

Thanks for any insight!

freebass

Graham Hughes

      8th Nov 2007
For best quality you need to use dv.avi video files.
MM only shows a preview of low quality adn every other frame, to enable you
to add effects adn play hte file back in real time to see what it looks
like, where other apps make you render a temp file first.
To keep best quality you need to save your end file also as a dv.avi.

This should then be the same quality as the original.

You cannot use the preview window in any app to let you know what the
quality is like.

--

Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"freebass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Guys,
>
> I'm creating a number of short video clips in WMM from approx. 6hrs of
> video
> footage. I created the first clip in WMM on one machine and everything
> came
> out fine with a high quality picture. The following 4 movies I've created
> (on a different laptop with same version of WMM) have all come out with
> lower
> quality video despite using the same source file as the first. In
> testing,
> I can preview the source file in the WMM preview window and see the same
> quality. As soon as I drag the video file to the timeline and watch it
> the
> video quality becomes grainy and a little choppy in movement. I can't
> locate
> any preferences or similar settings that ight allow me to modify how the
> timeline view deals with video quality.
>
> does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening? Are there potentially
> other codecs or filters on the first laptop that might be causing this?
>
> Thanks for any insight!
>
> freebass

=?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZWJhc3M=?=

      8th Nov 2007
Thanks for the reply Graham. I did realize that previews were going to be of
lower quality after reviewing some of your other posts but I still did not
understand why the finished file was problematic. If you can spare another
cerebral moment...I'm not seeing any areas in WMM that allow me to specify
output file type (i.e. avi vs. wmv) the only options I see have to do with
the usage case - web viewing, low quality, hi quality, cd, etc.). Am I
missing something obvious that lets me specify .avi in WMM 9?

thanks again!

freebass

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> For best quality you need to use dv.avi video files.
> MM only shows a preview of low quality adn every other frame, to enable you
> to add effects adn play hte file back in real time to see what it looks
> like, where other apps make you render a temp file first.
> To keep best quality you need to save your end file also as a dv.avi.
>
> This should then be the same quality as the original.
>
> You cannot use the preview window in any app to let you know what the
> quality is like.
>
> --
>
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.myvideoproblems.com
>

> "freebass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hey Guys,
> >
> > I'm creating a number of short video clips in WMM from approx. 6hrs of
> > video
> > footage. I created the first clip in WMM on one machine and everything
> > came
> > out fine with a high quality picture. The following 4 movies I've created
> > (on a different laptop with same version of WMM) have all come out with
> > lower
> > quality video despite using the same source file as the first. In
> > testing,
> > I can preview the source file in the WMM preview window and see the same
> > quality. As soon as I drag the video file to the timeline and watch it
> > the
> > video quality becomes grainy and a little choppy in movement. I can't
> > locate
> > any preferences or similar settings that ight allow me to modify how the
> > timeline view deals with video quality.
> >
> > does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening? Are there potentially
> > other codecs or filters on the first laptop that might be causing this?
> >
> > Thanks for any insight!
> >
> > freebass

John Inzer

      8th Nov 2007
freebass wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Graham. I did realize that previews were going
> to be of lower quality after reviewing some of your other posts but I
> still did not understand why the finished file was problematic. If
> you can spare another cerebral moment...I'm not seeing any areas in
> WMM that allow me to specify output file type (i.e. avi vs. wmv) the
> only options I see have to do with the usage case - web viewing, low
> quality, hi quality, cd, etc.). Am I missing something obvious that
> lets me specify .avi in WMM 9?
>
> thanks again!
>
> freebass

=======================================
WMM 9? Sorry...there is no such
version of Windows Movie Maker.

Here's some info on Vista Movie Maker 6:

Windows Vista
Movie settings: frequently asked questions
http://tinyurl.com/2mj77y

Movie Maker in Vista -
Publishing / Quality Profiles
http://tinyurl.com/325yvz

Windows Vista
Enjoying your pictures and videos
http://tinyurl.com/33fdk2
(scroll down to: Creating your own movies)

And...to save as an .avi movie file in MM 2.1
(and several other options)

Type...Ctrl+P to open the Save Movie Wizard /
Choose...My Computer /
Next /
Enter a Name and a Save Location /
Next /
Show More Choices /
Other Settings /
Open the drop window and choose...DV-AVI /
Next /
Wait while the movie is saved /
Finish...

Also, when saving as .wmv...you may
find it useful to use a custom profile:

Movie Maker 2 - Saving
Movies - Custom WMV Profiles
http://tinyurl.com/s2vgu

Creating Custom Profiles
for Windows Movie Maker 2
http://tinyurl.com/cuny7

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

=?Utf-8?B?ZnJlZWJhc3M=?=

      8th Nov 2007
Thank you John and Graham. I didn't notice the dv-AVI option earlier and
feel a little embarassed for not being more thorough. Your help is very much
appreciated!

(question: I see consistent mention of Vista Movie Maker on this forum. Is
that available for XP or just the VISTA platform? Sounds like it has more
functionality than WMM 2.1?)

"John Inzer" wrote:

> freebass wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply Graham. I did realize that previews were going
> > to be of lower quality after reviewing some of your other posts but I
> > still did not understand why the finished file was problematic. If
> > you can spare another cerebral moment...I'm not seeing any areas in
> > WMM that allow me to specify output file type (i.e. avi vs. wmv) the
> > only options I see have to do with the usage case - web viewing, low
> > quality, hi quality, cd, etc.). Am I missing something obvious that
> > lets me specify .avi in WMM 9?
> >
> > thanks again!
> >
> > freebass

> =======================================
> WMM 9? Sorry...there is no such
> version of Windows Movie Maker.
>
> Here's some info on Vista Movie Maker 6:
>
> Windows Vista
> Movie settings: frequently asked questions
> http://tinyurl.com/2mj77y
>
> Movie Maker in Vista -
> Publishing / Quality Profiles
> http://tinyurl.com/325yvz
>
> Windows Vista
> Enjoying your pictures and videos
> http://tinyurl.com/33fdk2
> (scroll down to: Creating your own movies)
>

> And...to save as an .avi movie file in MM 2.1
> (and several other options)
>
> Type...Ctrl+P to open the Save Movie Wizard /
> Choose...My Computer /
> Next /
> Enter a Name and a Save Location /
> Next /
> Show More Choices /
> Other Settings /
> Open the drop window and choose...DV-AVI /
> Next /
> Wait while the movie is saved /
> Finish...
>
> Also, when saving as .wmv...you may
> find it useful to use a custom profile:
>
> Movie Maker 2 - Saving
> Movies - Custom WMV Profiles
> http://tinyurl.com/s2vgu
>
> Creating Custom Profiles
> for Windows Movie Maker 2
> http://tinyurl.com/cuny7
>
> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! -
> Digital Image MVP
>
> Digital Image
> Highlights and FAQs
> http://tinyurl.com/aczzp
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

      9th Nov 2007
freebass wrote:
> Thank you John and Graham. I didn't notice the dv-AVI option earlier
> and feel a little embarassed for not being more thorough. Your help
> is very much appreciated!

================================
Don't be embarassed...I learn new things
every day. And...you're welcome.
================================
> (question: I see consistent mention of Vista Movie Maker on this
> forum. Is that available for XP or just the VISTA platform? Sounds
> like it has more functionality than WMM 2.1?)

================================
No, Versions 2.6 and 6 are Vista only.

Actually, Vista Movie Maker questions should
be directed to:

microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video

Discussions in Windows Vista
Music, Pictures, and Video
http://tinyurl.com/yqjkwz

I think folks see the words Movie Maker and
don't realize this is a Windows XP newsgroup.

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! -

Digital Image