Video plays then goes blank

sheppardwk

      11th Jun 2009
I used a store bought DVD, and tried to play it in the VLC Player. The DVD
started fine and played perfectly until about 4:10. At that time, the screen
elongated again changing the aspect. About 90 seconds later, the screen
pixelated into blue, white and green kaleidescope, but the audio continued.

This time instead of rebooting, I removed the digital video source from the
monitor - waited about 30 seconds - and then reattached it to the monitor.
The screen was back and the FLC Player was reduced in size. My other open
windows (Outlook email and windows explorer) were reduced as well. Other
than that, the desktop was perfect.

I went to the links that you provided and read the WMP frequently asked
questions. The codecs are for WMP 7 and greater. I'm currently using
11.0.5721.5230, so I did not download it. The others appear to be for the
DivX player - it's the only one that works.

The issue is not a frozen PC, rather it is a video problem because the audio
continues to work, and I just determined that the screen resumes if you
disconnect and reconnect the video cable.

I'm still willing to try anything to resolve this problem so please continue
making recommendations/suggestions.

"Panzy" wrote:

> "sheppardwk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > DVD's used to work on the PC.
> >
> > I tried to play a DVD using the VLC player, but after 4 minutes the screen
> > elongated. About a minute later, 1/4 of the desktop was a blue screen
> > with
> > the player occupying the remaining 3/4 of the desktop. However, the
> > bottom
> > of the desktop was not visible - could not see the taskbar, Start button,
> > quick launch, etc. The screen then went blank a few minutes later, but
> > the
> > audio continued. I rebooted, turned off the screen saver and unplugged
> > the
> > internet connection and tried it again. One minute later, the screen went
> > blank.
> >
> > I tried a DvDrip-aXXo (avi) file in my DivX Player - it worked perfectly.
> > This file caused the screen to go blank in both WMP and PowerDVD.
> >
> > No other problems with the computer, no changes to virtual memory and no
> > indications in Device Manager.
> >

> OK, so the DVD's are probably not the standard mpeg2/VOB format,
> but using the DivX compression technique, no doubt one of the issues
> are lack of codecs, but you should get an error message to effect that
> WMP/PowerDVD cannot play such file types etc or similar?
> Start here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...faq/codec.mspx
>
> This is the most uptodate DivX codec pack (at top of page)
> It claims compatibility with all media players. Including WMP 6 and above.
> http://www.divxmovies.com/software/
> Download and install it.
>
> This is the DivX FAQ.
> Section 4.2 details a link to a program: DivFix
> I've no idea if file corruption maybe the cause of the frozen PC etc.
> But you may like to try it to fix any possible corruption.
> http://www.divxmovies.com/faq/#4.2

Panzy

      11th Jun 2009

"sheppardwk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I used a store bought DVD, and tried to play it in the VLC Player. The DVD
> started fine and played perfectly until about 4:10. At that time, the
> screen
> elongated again changing the aspect. About 90 seconds later, the screen
> pixelated into blue, white and green kaleidescope, but the audio
> continued.
>
> This time instead of rebooting, I removed the digital video source from
> the
> monitor - waited about 30 seconds - and then reattached it to the monitor.

What? Do you mean it is a DVD drive mounted in your monitor?
Try and clarify.
When you say you removed "digital video source from the monitor"
Explain what that means.

> The screen was back and the FLC Player was reduced in size. My other open
> windows (Outlook email and windows explorer) were reduced as well. Other
> than that, the desktop was perfect.

Do you have an XP disk or was XP preinstalled?
(This question is to determine if we can perform a repair install).

> I went to the links that you provided and read the WMP frequently asked
> questions. The codecs are for WMP 7 and greater. I'm currently using
> 11.0.5721.5230, so I did not download it.

This is obviously too complicated for you when it really is very simple!
"WMP7 and greater" means your WMP11, you should have downloaded
and installed, sigh....

> The others appear to be for the
> DivX player - it's the only one that works.
>
> The issue is not a frozen PC, rather it is a video problem because the
> audio
> continues to work, and I just determined that the screen resumes if you
> disconnect and reconnect the video cable.

You are going to download and install this program
Follow the instructions, it will perform an audit of your PC.
We will then try and determine if it is a graphics driver issue.
And if any hotfixes are missing.
(You have SP3, a fool posted to thread about it, ignore him -
SP3 is an all important update)

> I'm still willing to try anything to resolve this problem so please
> continue
> making recommendations/suggestions.

Rather than perform a cold shutdown, have you tried Task Manager
to end task?
You call up Task Manager in XP by holding down keys: Ctrl+Alt+Del
Read about here
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323527
A guide
http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/win...ance-explained

Play a problematic DVD or video clip, when it gives you grief with
screen blanking but audio continuing, call up Task Manager
Click the Applications tab
End task on WMP.
report back
The next step is a process of elimination to try and discern if ending task
on other applications or processes solves the problem, if so, then
there is a conflict.

These may seem strange questions but are pertinant:
Is your keyboard fully functional and all keys function with none
stuck down?
Nothing is resting on the keyboard, such as a mouse?

Disconnecting "video cable", so it is a PC with an attached monitor,
and what type of cable - DVI or VGA?

sheppardwk

      25th Jun 2009

I meant the DVI cable that plugs into the monitor - the video cable.
The DVD drive is located in the computer.

I tried to watch a streaming press conference the other day. The video
played for about 3 minutes and then the monitor did the same thing. When I
unplugged the DVI cable from the monitor, the computer played a chime
indicating that it had been unplugged, and when I plugged it back into the
monitor the video continued playing.

I then borrowed another monitor - the same model - and tried it. After a
few minutes, it too went to a grey screen. Therefore, I can only assume
either the specific model monitor is not compatible with the computer for
playing videos or the video card may be causing problems.

XP came preinstalled.

Task Manager does not work.

No keys are stuck.

I understand WMP7 and greater. Due to the fact that I'm using WMP
11.0.5721.5230, I already have the most up-to-date codecs.

Downloading Belarc.