PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Video Capture-Record Audio Volume Problem

 
 
Rogers@wildwest.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26th Jan 2012
I a using XP SP3, and I want to record and capture a few web tutorial
video clips. A few clips are youtube, and a few are not. But that
shouldn't matter, I think and hope.

Anyway, I am using Debut Video Capture Software V1.49. My first
experience was that the video was captured and was re-playable fine by
Media Player. However there was no audio whatsoever.

To try to get audio, I put a audio Y splitter on the mobo speaker out,
and then connected that to both my earphones and mobo microphone in.
Now I do get audio in the video clips that I record.

My problem is that the recorded audio has lost much of its volume and
is too low. I can't turn up the volume because the earphones have no
adjustment for that like speakers do.

Can anyone suggest some XP setting(s) to improve this? I have
experimented with same, but have not been able to find anything.

Thanks

Roy

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26th Jan 2012
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I a using XP SP3, and I want to record and capture a few web tutorial
> video clips. A few clips are youtube, and a few are not. But that
> shouldn't matter, I think and hope.
>
> Anyway, I am using Debut Video Capture Software V1.49. My first
> experience was that the video was captured and was re-playable fine by
> Media Player. However there was no audio whatsoever.
>
> To try to get audio, I put a audio Y splitter on the mobo speaker out,
> and then connected that to both my earphones and mobo microphone in.
> Now I do get audio in the video clips that I record.
>
> My problem is that the recorded audio has lost much of its volume and
> is too low. I can't turn up the volume because the earphones have no
> adjustment for that like speakers do.
>
> Can anyone suggest some XP setting(s) to improve this? I have
> experimented with same, but have not been able to find anything.
>
> Thanks
>
> Roy
>


On WinXP, you can try the "what you hear" option,
which loops sound around from the output, back to the input
mixer. No cable needed.

On my Soundmax motherboard audio, that option is called Stereo Mix.
It's in the record section. In this picture I found, the current
selection is "Microphone", and by clicking the red button
underneath "Stereo Mix", you can unmute the Stereo Mix and
then the recording may get audio.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4818/untitledsy0.jpg

I can't promise what kind of audio level you'll get. In that
picture, the slider is way down on the Stereo Mix, and it can
be advanced upwards to bump up the recording volume.

If that kind of custom panel isn't visible on your computer,
you may have to look around for it. For example, I have a
smax4.exe and a smax4.cpl (control panel) file in this folder.
Your sound might be a different brand, and you'd look
in the appropriate folder for it. It's possible mine also uses
a Startup item to ensure it's launched at boot.

C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX

It's my understanding, that the "what you hear" option
is removed from later OSes. In which case, a person
doing what you're attempting to do, would end up
using the cabling trick instead. The thing would never
have made "bit perfect" copies in the first place (due
to the noise floor), so I don't understand the need to
remove this feature. But in WinXP, as far as I know,
it should work.

The Microphone usually has a "boost" feature. Again, referring
to that picture above, the Microphone has the green button at
the bottom showing it is unmuted. But to the right of the green
button, is a beveled square button which hides the "boost" function.
Clicking that brings up a dialog to enable "boost". But with your
current setup, I'd start by checking the sliders. You really
shouldn't need to enable boost, with what you're doing. There
should be enough gain already.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Char Jackson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26th Jan 2012
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 05:36:56 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I a using XP SP3, and I want to record and capture a few web tutorial
>video clips. A few clips are youtube, and a few are not. But that
>shouldn't matter, I think and hope.
>
>Anyway, I am using Debut Video Capture Software V1.49. My first
>experience was that the video was captured and was re-playable fine by
>Media Player. However there was no audio whatsoever.
>
>To try to get audio, I put a audio Y splitter on the mobo speaker out,
>and then connected that to both my earphones and mobo microphone in.
>Now I do get audio in the video clips that I record.
>
>My problem is that the recorded audio has lost much of its volume and
>is too low. I can't turn up the volume because the earphones have no
>adjustment for that like speakers do.
>
>Can anyone suggest some XP setting(s) to improve this? I have
>experimented with same, but have not been able to find anything.


Seems like the hard way (more steps, more apps, more time) would be to
demux the files to separate the audio from the video, increase the
gain of the audio portion, then remux the audio and video.

It might be easier to use a different process to download the video
clips. If you're using Firefox, there are numerous add-ons that help
you do that.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rogers@wildwest.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26th Jan 2012
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:06:34 -0600, Char Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Seems like the hard way (more steps, more apps, more time) would be to
>demux the files to separate the audio from the video, increase the
>gain of the audio portion, then remux the audio and video.
>
>It might be easier to use a different process to download the video
>clips. If you're using Firefox, there are numerous add-ons that help
>you do that.


Firefox?
I want to capture the clip that plays on my screen, not download it.
In fact, the clips I have in mind are not downloadable.

Thanks

Roy
 
Reply With Quote
 
Char Jackson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26th Jan 2012
On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:49:33 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:06:34 -0600, Char Jackson <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Seems like the hard way (more steps, more apps, more time) would be to
>>demux the files to separate the audio from the video, increase the
>>gain of the audio portion, then remux the audio and video.
>>
>>It might be easier to use a different process to download the video
>>clips. If you're using Firefox, there are numerous add-ons that help
>>you do that.

>
>Firefox?
>I want to capture the clip that plays on my screen, not download it.
>In fact, the clips I have in mind are not downloadable.


Looks like Paul has a good plan for you, but I'd point out that
there's very little difference between playing an Internet video and
downloading it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Capture-Record Audio Volume Problem Rogers@wildwest.org Windows XP Customization 1 1st Feb 2012 05:56 PM
No Audio/Video, or No Video, or No Audio, or One Way -- What the... DavidM Windows XP Messenger 7 27th Nov 2003 04:52 AM
Audio Volume Control Slides itself to zero volume in xp Larry Asher Windows XP Help 2 17th Sep 2003 04:40 PM
Audio Volume Control Slides itself to zero volume in xp Larry Asher Windows XP New Users 2 17th Sep 2003 04:40 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:07 AM.