Victory!: how to repair, or to re-launch or to re-install Win Installer service: Victory !!

quick35

      13th May 2004
Hello Phil,
Great: I was successful; I will sleep very well this night, and tomorrow:
operation back-up !!
What I did:
in the windows of the Windows Installer Service, I enable in the sidebar
connexion (general, connexion, recuperation, dependance) an account: my
"Administrator" account and not on "local system account", and, wonderful, I
was finally able to launch the Windows Installer service ! last but not
least !(before, it was said:"impossible to run the "windows installer"
service on the local computer; error 5: acces denied ! (in French indeed, I
translated!)

I don't know if it was necessary but before that, on all msi files (msi.dll,
msihnd.dll, msiexec.exe, msisip.dll), I gave the rights to my
"Administrator" account too.

This fact is a mystery because (I checked it) the Windows Installer Service
is the only one which give not the permission to the "local system account"
to be able to be launched.

So, thank you for your help !

a satisfied French user!

Alain Foucal

Phil Wilson

      14th May 2004
There have been issues in this area related to the SYSTEM account not having
access to the drive. This tip was posted by Carolyn Napier of MS:

One thing to verify is that NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM has full control on the C
drive.
Try running "cacls.exe c:\" from a command prompt. You should at least see
something that includes the following:

C:\>cacls c:\
c:\ BUILTIN\AdministratorsOI)(CI)F
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMOI)(CI)F

--
Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
----
"quick35" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40a3fc8f$0$12727$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Phil,
> Great: I was successful; I will sleep very well this night, and tomorrow:
> operation back-up !!
> What I did:
> in the windows of the Windows Installer Service, I enable in the sidebar
> connexion (general, connexion, recuperation, dependance) an account: my
> "Administrator" account and not on "local system account", and, wonderful,

> was finally able to launch the Windows Installer service ! last but not
> least !(before, it was said:"impossible to run the "windows installer"
> service on the local computer; error 5: acces denied ! (in French indeed,

> translated!)
>
> I don't know if it was necessary but before that, on all msi files

(msi.dll,
> msihnd.dll, msiexec.exe, msisip.dll), I gave the rights to my
> "Administrator" account too.
>
> This fact is a mystery because (I checked it) the Windows Installer

Service
> is the only one which give not the permission to the "local system

account"
> to be able to be launched.
>
> So, thank you for your help !
>
> a satisfied French user!
>
> Alain Foucal

quick35

      16th May 2004
Hi Phil,
Truly, I have that with cacls.exe:
"the name of my computer"\AdministrateurOI)(CI)F
<Domaine du compte introuvable>(OI)(CI)R
I translate "Domaine du compte introuvable" with: account domain not found.
What does it mean: OI, CI and F ?
How can I restore the localSystem in its rights,
Thanks,
alain Foucal

"Phil Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There have been issues in this area related to the SYSTEM account not

having
> access to the drive. This tip was posted by Carolyn Napier of MS:
>
> One thing to verify is that NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM has full control on the C
> drive.
> Try running "cacls.exe c:\" from a command prompt. You should at least see
> something that includes the following:
>
> C:\>cacls c:\
> c:\ BUILTIN\AdministratorsOI)(CI)F
> NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMOI)(CI)F
>
> --
> Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
> ----
> "quick35" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40a3fc8f$0$12727$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello Phil,
> > Great: I was successful; I will sleep very well this night, and

tomorrow:
> > operation back-up !!
> > What I did:
> > in the windows of the Windows Installer Service, I enable in the sidebar
> > connexion (general, connexion, recuperation, dependance) an account: my
> > "Administrator" account and not on "local system account", and,

wonderful,
> > was finally able to launch the Windows Installer service ! last but not
> > least !(before, it was said:"impossible to run the "windows installer"
> > service on the local computer; error 5: acces denied ! (in French

indeed,
> > translated!)
> >
> > I don't know if it was necessary but before that, on all msi files

> (msi.dll,
> > msihnd.dll, msiexec.exe, msisip.dll), I gave the rights to my
> > "Administrator" account too.
> >
> > This fact is a mystery because (I checked it) the Windows Installer

> Service
> > is the only one which give not the permission to the "local system

> account"
> > to be able to be launched.
> >
> > So, thank you for your help !
> >
> > a satisfied French user!
> >
> > Alain Foucal

Carolyn Napier [MSFT]

      22nd May 2004
Run "cacls.exe /?" for information on what they mean and additional command line
syntax information.

F = Full Control
OI = Object Inherit
CI = Container Inherit

For example,

"cacls c:\security" will list the ACLs for the folder c:\security
"cacls c:\security /E /T /P SYSTEM:F" will edit the existing ACL (E) for
c:\security and all subdirectories (T) replacing (P) SYSTEM's current
permissions with full control (F).

Additionally information on a similar untility (xcacls.exe) can be found at <
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;318754 >.

You can also set security permissions through Explorer which may be easier to
use due to the graphical user interface. Simply right-click on the folder you
want to adjust permissions for and then select "Sharing and Security". Click on
the "Security" tab to make changes. You may need to use the Advanced options in
some circumstances.

Hope this helps,
- Carolyn Napier
Microsoft Windows Installer Team

purposes only.

MSI FAQ:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx>

"quick35" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40a74bad$0$10197$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Phil,
> Truly, I have that with cacls.exe:
> "the name of my computer"\AdministrateurOI)(CI)F
> <Domaine du compte introuvable>(OI)(CI)R
> I translate "Domaine du compte introuvable" with: account domain not found.
> What does it mean: OI, CI and F ?
> How can I restore the localSystem in its rights,
> Thanks,
> alain Foucal
>
> "Phil Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There have been issues in this area related to the SYSTEM account not

> having
>> access to the drive. This tip was posted by Carolyn Napier of MS:
>>
>> One thing to verify is that NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM has full control on the C
>> drive.
>> Try running "cacls.exe c:\" from a command prompt. You should at least see
>> something that includes the following:
>>
>> C:\>cacls c:\
>> c:\ BUILTIN\AdministratorsOI)(CI)F
>> NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMOI)(CI)F
>>
>> --
>> Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
>> ----
>> "quick35" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:40a3fc8f$0$12727$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hello Phil,
>> > Great: I was successful; I will sleep very well this night, and

> tomorrow:
>> > operation back-up !!
>> > What I did:
>> > in the windows of the Windows Installer Service, I enable in the sidebar
>> > connexion (general, connexion, recuperation, dependance) an account: my
>> > "Administrator" account and not on "local system account", and,

> wonderful,
>> > was finally able to launch the Windows Installer service ! last but not
>> > least !(before, it was said:"impossible to run the "windows installer"
>> > service on the local computer; error 5: acces denied ! (in French

> indeed,
>> > translated!)
>> >
>> > I don't know if it was necessary but before that, on all msi files

>> (msi.dll,
>> > msihnd.dll, msiexec.exe, msisip.dll), I gave the rights to my
>> > "Administrator" account too.
>> >
>> > This fact is a mystery because (I checked it) the Windows Installer

>> Service
>> > is the only one which give not the permission to the "local system

>> account"
>> > to be able to be launched.
>> >
>> > So, thank you for your help !
>> >
>> > a satisfied French user!
>> >
>> > Alain Foucal

quick35

      23rd May 2004
Hello,
I did what you've indicated to restore the rights of my localsystem, and all
is all right.
Thank you
Alain Foucal

"Carolyn Napier [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le
message de news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Run "cacls.exe /?" for information on what they mean and additional

command line
> syntax information.
>
> F = Full Control
> OI = Object Inherit
> CI = Container Inherit
>
> For example,
>
> "cacls c:\security" will list the ACLs for the folder c:\security
> "cacls c:\security /E /T /P SYSTEM:F" will edit the existing ACL (E) for
> c:\security and all subdirectories (T) replacing (P) SYSTEM's current
> permissions with full control (F).
>
> Additionally information on a similar untility (xcacls.exe) can be found

at <
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;318754 >.
>
> You can also set security permissions through Explorer which may be easier

> use due to the graphical user interface. Simply right-click on the folder

you
> want to adjust permissions for and then select "Sharing and Security".

Click on
> the "Security" tab to make changes. You may need to use the Advanced

options in
> some circumstances.
>
> Hope this helps,
> - Carolyn Napier
> Microsoft Windows Installer Team

rights.
> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for

newsgroup
> purposes only.
>
> MSI FAQ:

<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ment/msi_faq.m