vertical screen split needed, within same doc

Tom Yang

      3rd Nov 2005
Hi, Is there any way to split the screen vertically, to view two pages
of the same Word document side by side? I know about the horizontal
split screen function in Word, but it doesn't do me much good. (The
reason is, I've got a 24 inch LCD monitor, perfect for viewing 2 full
pages of the same document side by side, but with the horizontal split
screen I can only see parts of 4 pages, not all of 2.) Only thing I
could find in this user group was some code that someone suggested in
1999, I wouldn't even know how to use that. Thanks for any help,

Stefan Blom

      3rd Nov 2005
Switch to Print Layout view and then, on the Standard toolbar, click
the Zoom button, and choose the "Two pages" view.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tom Yang" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Is there any way to split the screen vertically, to view two

pages
> of the same Word document side by side? I know about the horizontal
> split screen function in Word, but it doesn't do me much good. (The
> reason is, I've got a 24 inch LCD monitor, perfect for viewing 2

full
> pages of the same document side by side, but with the horizontal

split
> screen I can only see parts of 4 pages, not all of 2.) Only thing I
> could find in this user group was some code that someone suggested

in
> 1999, I wouldn't even know how to use that. Thanks for any help,

Tom Yang

      3rd Nov 2005
Sorry, my question was not stated clearly.

To see all of 2 consecutive pages is not a problem: I can do that in
the ordinary view (without going to print layout), thanks to my big
screen (MS Word expands to show 2 or more consecutive pages).

My problem is, I need to see 2 pages that are far apart, not
consecutive. Am working with a 45-page document, where I want to e.g.
look at page 14 and also page 33 at the same time. A vertical split
screen, like the horizontal split screen, would be great for this.
Thanks

Tom Yang

Stefan Blom wrote:
> Switch to Print Layout view and then, on the Standard toolbar, click
> the Zoom button, and choose the "Two pages" view.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP

Tom Yang

      3rd Nov 2005
Sorry, my question was not stated clearly.

To see all of 2 consecutive pages is not a problem: I can do that in
the ordinary view (without going to print layout), thanks to my big
screen (MS Word expands to show 2 or more consecutive pages).

My problem is, I need to see 2 pages that are far apart, not
consecutive. Am working with a 45-page document, where I want to e.g.
look at page 14 and also page 33 at the same time. A vertical split
screen, like the horizontal split screen, would be great for this.

Also, I'd need to avoid having to go to print layout view. The reason I
need to see 2 non-consecutive pages is that I am editing them, and
editing is difficult in print layout view. Thanks,

Tom Yang

Stefan Blom

      3rd Nov 2005
Does the following help? First create an additional window for the
document: On the Window menu, click New Window. Then right-click the
taskbar and choose to arrange the windows as desired.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tom Yang" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry, my question was not stated clearly.
>
> To see all of 2 consecutive pages is not a problem: I can do that

in
> the ordinary view (without going to print layout), thanks to my big
> screen (MS Word expands to show 2 or more consecutive pages).
>
> My problem is, I need to see 2 pages that are far apart, not
> consecutive. Am working with a 45-page document, where I want to

e.g.
> look at page 14 and also page 33 at the same time. A vertical split
> screen, like the horizontal split screen, would be great for this.
>
> Also, I'd need to avoid having to go to print layout view. The

reason I
> need to see 2 non-consecutive pages is that I am editing them, and
> editing is difficult in print layout view. Thanks,
>
> Tom Yang

Tom Yang

      3rd Nov 2005
Stefan, You are absolutely right, it does work! I cannot believe I've
lumbered these years & never actually tried that! It had occurred to
me to open a new window but I assumed it would have to saved as a
different document. It's not, it's still the same doc.... Thanks so
much!!! No need for the vertical split now. (sorry I deleted my
no way to not let it show.....) Tom

Stefan Blom

      3rd Nov 2005
I'm glad I could help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tom Yang" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stefan, You are absolutely right, it does work! I cannot believe

I've
> lumbered these years & never actually tried that! It had occurred

> me to open a new window but I assumed it would have to saved as a
> different document. It's not, it's still the same doc.... Thanks so
> much!!! No need for the vertical split now. (sorry I deleted my

there's
> no way to not let it show.....) Tom

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      3rd Nov 2005
Also note that if you have Word 2003, you can use Compare Side by Side on
the Window menu.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Tom Yang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stefan, You are absolutely right, it does work! I cannot believe I've
> lumbered these years & never actually tried that! It had occurred to
> me to open a new window but I assumed it would have to saved as a
> different document. It's not, it's still the same doc.... Thanks so
> much!!! No need for the vertical split now. (sorry I deleted my
> no way to not let it show.....) Tom

minwoon@gmail.com

      4th Nov 2005
Oh, thanks for the tip. Alas, at our firm here in Seoul, Korea we're
still using clunky Word 2000. With 2000 there's the added
headache of not being able to open a new view within the same Word
window. I notice that a macro someone posted once for an 'MDI
toggle' doesn't seem to be available any more.....
thanks,
Tom Yang

Tom Yang