Is vb.net using Windows XP themed controls ?(Newbie)

DivB

      27th Jul 2005
Hello,

Is vb.net using Windows XP themed controls ?

I use to develop software in a language called Visual FoxPro.

And I remember that when I drop a command button or some other Windows common control in VisualStaudio.net (first version) it looks like an old Win32 control. For my surprise VisualStudio.net wasn't using (like VFP years ago did) themed controls.

My questions is: Does VisualStudio.net 2003 support themes -without API calls or something like that- ?

I just want to drop a control on a form and I expect to get a themed XP-fashioned control.

Thanks a lot!

Pablo SV

Ken Tucker [MVP]

      27th Jul 2005
Hi,

Yes it does. Set the controls flatstyle to system and call
application.enablevisualstyles. In visual studio 2005 all controls default
to the xp style.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tylestopic.asp

Ken
----------------------
"DivB" <divbyz at g mail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello,
Is vb.net using Windows XP themed controls ?
I use to develop software in a language called Visual FoxPro.
And I remember that when I drop a command button or some other Windows
common control in VisualStaudio.net (first version) it looks like an old
Win32 control. For my surprise VisualStudio.net wasn't using (like VFP years
ago did) themed controls.
My questions is: Does VisualStudio.net 2003 support themes -without API
calls or something like that- ?
I just want to drop a control on a form and I expect to get a themed
XP-fashioned control.
Thanks a lot!
Pablo SV

Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]

      27th Jul 2005
"DivB" <divbyz at g mail.com> schrieb:
> Is vb.net using Windows XP themed controls ?

By default no.

>My questions is: Does VisualStudio.net 2003 support themes -
> without API calls or something like that- ?

Yes, however, VS.NET 2003 does not provide IDE support for Visual Styles:

Enabling Windows XP Visual Styles for Windows Forms applications
<URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/dotnet/faqs/?id=xpvisualstyles&lang=en>

--
M S Herfried K. Wagner
M V P <URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

Jan Hyde

      27th Jul 2005
"Ken Tucker [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)>'s wild thoughts
were released on Wed, 27 Jul 2005 05:37:13 -0400 bearing the
following fruit:

>Hi,
>
> Yes it does. Set the controls flatstyle to system and call
>application.enablevisualstyles. In visual studio 2005 all controls default
>to the xp style.
>
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tylestopic.asp

I don't know about 2005 but I'd avoid using
enablevisualstyles in 2003, sooner or later your going to
get an error you can't explain that is solved simply by
removing that call.

Unless there is a fix for this issue?

>Ken
>----------------------
>"DivB" <divbyz at g mail.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Hello,
>Is vb.net using Windows XP themed controls ?
>I use to develop software in a language called Visual FoxPro.
>And I remember that when I drop a command button or some other Windows
>common control in VisualStaudio.net (first version) it looks like an old
>Win32 control. For my surprise VisualStudio.net wasn't using (like VFP years
>ago did) themed controls.
>My questions is: Does VisualStudio.net 2003 support themes -without API
>calls or something like that- ?
>I just want to drop a control on a form and I expect to get a themed
>XP-fashioned control.
>Thanks a lot!
>Pablo SV

Jan Hyde (VB MVP)

--
Men always make passes at girls that drain glasses. (Henny Youngman)

[Abolish the TV Licence - http://www.tvlicensing.biz/]

=?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?=

      28th Jul 2005
You are 100 and 10% correct! enablevisualstyles causes erratic behavior and
should be avoided.
--
Dennis in Houston