PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

VB.NET independent appliation

 
 
Maileen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Oct 2004
Hi,

In VC++, we are able to compile and build an application which will NOT
need any *.dll files as external link.

I use now VB.NET and i would like to do the same.
I don't want to see any error message because VB6runxx.dll is nissing,
or something like that.

How can i do that ?
thanks a lot,
Maileen
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ken Dopierala Jr.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Oct 2004
Hi Maileen,

Can you ask your question differently. I did not understand what you are
trying to accomplish. VC++ relies heavily on DLL files but for the most
part they are distributed with Windows so you don't need to install them
along with your app. When you create an app in VB.Net all you need is for
the framework to be installed. Unless you are relying on outside DLLs.
Then, like with VC++, those DLLs will need to be installed. Good luck!
Ken.

--
Ken Dopierala Jr.
For great ASP.Net web hosting try:
http://www.webhost4life.com/default.asp?refid=Spinlight
If you sign up under me and need help, email me.

"Maileen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> In VC++, we are able to compile and build an application which will NOT
> need any *.dll files as external link.
>
> I use now VB.NET and i would like to do the same.
> I don't want to see any error message because VB6runxx.dll is nissing,
> or something like that.
>
> How can i do that ?
> thanks a lot,
> Maileen



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Patrick Philippot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Oct 2004
Maileen wrote:
> I use now VB.NET and i would like to do the same.
> I don't want to see any error message because VB6runxx.dll is nissing,
> or something like that.
>
> How can i do that ?


Hi,

In order to run a .Net application, the .Net Framework must have been
installed on that system. So the only things that you need to install
are your own assemblies. If an assembly refers to another assembly that
is not part of the .Net Framework, you'll need to install it too.

--
Patrick Philippot - Microsoft MVP
MainSoft Consulting Services
www.mainsoft.fr


 
Reply With Quote
 
Cor Ligthert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Oct 2004
Nice written Ken

Cor


 
Reply With Quote
 
Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Oct 2004
"Maileen" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb:
> In VC++, we are able to compile and build an application which
> will NOT need any *.dll files as external link.
>
> I use now VB.NET and i would like to do the same.
> I don't want to see any error message because VB6runxx.dll is nissing,
> or something like that.


Are you referring to VB6 or VB.NET? VB.NET doesn't need a "VB6runxxx.dll"?

The answer is no, that's not supported.

There are some solutions, but most of them don't make much sense for
me in general. They are expensive and don't bring any benefit in most
cases.

<URL:http://www.remotesoft.com/>
-> "Salamander"

<URL:http://www.lesser-software.com/> is working on a tool to compile Win32
applications from .NET source.

Thinstall
<URL:http://thinstall.com/dotnet/>

I would include the .NET Framework in the setup package:

Deploying the .NET Framework in a setup package
<URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/dotnet/faqs/?id=deployframework>

--
Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
<URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Tucker [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Oct 2004
Hi,

If you are looking to distrbute an vb.net with out the framework
take a look at this.

(untested)
http://thinstall.com/help/index.html...tframework.htm

Ken
--------------------------
"Maileen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi,

In VC++, we are able to compile and build an application which will NOT
need any *.dll files as external link.

I use now VB.NET and i would like to do the same.
I don't want to see any error message because VB6runxx.dll is nissing,
or something like that.

How can i do that ?
thanks a lot,
Maileen


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mitchell Vincent
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Oct 2004
Ken Tucker [MVP] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you are looking to distrbute an vb.net with out the framework
> take a look at this.
>
> (untested)
> http://thinstall.com/help/index.html...tframework.htm
>
> Ken
> --------------------------


I use Thinstall for several projects and from my initial tests the
framework linking does work. I haven't written any full applications yet
but initial tests have been exciting! This does add several megs to your
executable file size, but not the 20+ megs for the entire framework..


--
- Mitchell Vincent
- kBilling - An easy and affordable billing solution
- http://www.k-billing.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Oct 2004
"Mitchell Vincent" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb:
> > If you are looking to distrbute an vb.net with out the framework
> > take a look at this.
> >
> > (untested)
> > http://thinstall.com/help/index.html...tframework.htm

>
> I use Thinstall for several projects and from my initial tests the
> framework linking does work. I haven't written any full applications yet
> but initial tests have been exciting! This does add several megs to your
> executable file size, but not the 20+ megs for the entire framework..


Notice that there may be legal problems when linking to part of the .NET
Framework.

--
Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
<URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mitchell Vincent
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Oct 2004
Herfried K. Wagner [MVP] wrote:

> "Mitchell Vincent" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb:
>
>>>If you are looking to distrbute an vb.net with out the framework
>>>take a look at this.
>>>
>>>(untested)
>>>http://thinstall.com/help/index.html...tframework.htm

>>
>>I use Thinstall for several projects and from my initial tests the
>>framework linking does work. I haven't written any full applications yet
>>but initial tests have been exciting! This does add several megs to your
>>executable file size, but not the 20+ megs for the entire framework..

>
>
> Notice that there may be legal problems when linking to part of the .NET
> Framework.
>


What makes you say that?

--
- Mitchell Vincent
- kBilling - An easy and affordable billing solution
- http://www.k-billing.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Oct 2004
"Mitchell Vincent" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb:
>>>>http://thinstall.com/help/index.html...tframework.htm

>>
>> Notice that there may be legal problems when linking to part
>> of the .NET Framework.

>
> What makes you say that?


I doubt that Microsoft grants rights to decompose the libraries provided in
the .NET Framework package.

--
Herfried K. Wagner [MVP]
<URL:http://dotnet.mvps.org/>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to fix size of frame independent of rsolution of sreen or bowser independent. gujarsachin2001@gmail.com Microsoft Dot NET 1 26th Feb 2007 12:55 AM
Appliation BIN Folder RM Microsoft ASP .NET 2 31st Mar 2005 11:44 PM
problem moving console appliation to send email to server =?Utf-8?B?SG93YXJk?= Microsoft Dot NET Framework 1 9th Dec 2004 11:00 PM
appliation error =?Utf-8?B?bG91aXM=?= Windows XP General 0 1st May 2004 06:01 PM
CTHelper MFC Appliation bug Peter Windows XP General 1 27th Nov 2003 02:56 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:00 AM.